UPS To Hire About 95,000 For Holiday Season

ROBO MOD

I'm a Robot
Staff member
  • Seasonal and part-time positions often an entry point to UPS careers
  • Up to 37% of those hired seasonally in 2015 now have permanent jobs with the company

UPS® (NYSE: UPS) announced today that it expects to hire about 95,000 seasonal employees to support the anticipated increase in package volume that will begin in November and continue through January 2017.

“We’re ready to kick off our annual holiday hiring process, and need lots of great people for various positions on all shifts across the country,” said Myron Gray, President, U.S. Operations. “UPS delivers the holidays, and we also deliver some of the best temporary jobs in the country for tens of thousands of Americans.”

The full- and part-time seasonal positions – primarily package handlers, drivers and driver-helpers – have long been an entry point for permanent employment at UPS. Many senior UPS executives, including CEO David Abney and three other members of the company’s Management Committee, started their UPS careers as part-time employees.

From the 2012 through 2014 holiday seasons, over 37 percent of the people UPS hired for seasonal package handler jobs were later hired in a permanent position when the holidays were over.

“For many it’s an opportunity to earn some extra cash for the holidays,” said Abney, who started loading trucks at night in 1974 while in college. “But with many of our holiday hires getting permanent jobs with us, it can also be a gateway to a career.”

Permanent UPS jobs – including part-time jobs -- come with excellent pay and benefits, including healthcare and retirement benefits. At many UPS locations, part-time employees in college are eligible to receive up to $25,000 in tuition assistance through the company’s Earn and Learn program.

Interested job seekers can easily apply for holiday season opportunities by visiting UPSjobs.com. Applicants must apply online. UPS will also be recruiting on campuses at upcoming NCAA college football games this fall. Videos featuring employees describing their work experience at UPS are also available at the UPS jobs website.

rod

Retired 22 years
I really have a hard time believing that 37% now have permanent jobs. I could probably believe that at one time or another 37% of them have been offered a permanant job because others have quit but out of that I bet 35% of those who took them up on the offer have long since quit also due to being constantly laid off and other problems. I know my little local center has a terrible turn over rate for PT'ers.

opie

UPS is also offering higher wages and bonuses in some areas. In Louisville, select shifts will receive $200 bonus every week!

W

What The Hawk?

I almost got hired as a seasonal driver helper 2 years ago, then my dumbutt gave them my home number instead of my cell. They called my house, I didn't even notice until I checked the messages 3 days later. They offered me a job, but it was too late. Crushed me. But now I have a "permanent" job at UPS. I hope I can make it stay that way.