ups top pay vs usps top pay

mike8208

Except that 4 billion dollar bailout USPS got because the government sucks at running things. I would go to UPS.

I work for usps and usps did not receive any bailout... You are referring to a payment deferral of some 5.8 billion that NO OTHER entity whether public or private is required to pay... UPS would lose money if it were required to fund healthcare benefits for all of it's FUTURE retirees as is the USPS... understand that NO OTHER entity, public or private is required to pay for FUTURE retiree health benefits

LED

alot of great info! as of right now im leaning towards the post office mainly because i want to be there for my family as much as possible. and imo postal carriers seem alot less stressed. i accually drovefor the first time on my own during thanksgiving weekendand i was pretty stressed out. i think spending time with my children is worth gettin paid a little less. we will see what happens.

A couple of things to remember about the post office:
1. They pay for their benefits - UPS hourlies do not
2. Most postal carriers in my area work 6 days a week - average 50 - 60 hours/week

Maybe this is just in my area, I do not know.

Frunobulax

Fyi: Take a look at the GAO's grim assessment of USPS's financial viability from earlier this year; here's the link:

http://www.gao.gov/products/GAO-09-475T

I agree with much of what has been said on this thread.

The two options, in my view, are, as they say, "apples and oranges." Postal carriers are still primarily letter carriers who have far less stress, far less risk of serious injury, greater opportunity for a balanced family life, and so on. UPS drivers relative to letter carriers are probably rather underpaid for the degree of difficulty of the work and the fairly high probabilty of disability.

On the other hand, UPS is a huge, increasingly varied, and financially strong company with a greater range of opportunities than the post office for those willing to work hard.

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
I work for usps and usps did not receive any bailout... You are referring to a payment deferral of some 5.8 billion that NO OTHER entity whether public or private is required to pay... UPS would lose money if it were required to fund healthcare benefits for all of it's FUTURE retirees as is the USPS... understand that NO OTHER entity, public or private is required to pay for FUTURE retiree health benefits
If the Post Office is truley not a Government subsidized intity then answer me these two questions. Why are NONE of thier vehicles registered with plates? Also then how is it a company can opperate who continually loses money? Things just dont add up, maybe you then can inform us how they exist.

chopstic

If the Post Office is truley not a Government subsidized intity then answer me these two questions. Why are NONE of thier vehicles registered with plates? Also then how is it a company can opperate who continually loses money? Things just dont add up, maybe you then can inform us how they exist.

They are absolutely subsidized, although they like to claim they are not. There is no way someone can claim that our tax dollars have not in some way gone to help the USPS

beentheredonethat

This is just plain wrong. We do pay to fund for pension benefits for our future retirees. UPS pays money into the Teamster funds to pay for the future benefits. For non union folks, the company invests money into dedicated accounts for retiree benefits. Let's get to other items from the USPS. As someone else mentioned, they don't have to pay to register their fleet of vehicles. They don't have to pay property tax on the buildings that they do own. They don't get parking tickets by government agencies. They don't even have their people in traditional social security and medicare. Unlike UPS which must contribute money for pension benefits and also pay for their half of social security and medicare. The USPS is insuring the money to the lenders when the USPS runs a deficit, so their cost of borrowing is low, compared to what another company would have to pay.

beentheredonethat

My dad worked at the USPS. He initially had his own route for years. But near the end, he switched to being a "floater". Basically for the 6 day mail week at his town. He worked Mon - Fri and worked 5 different routes. The guy on Route A had Monday off and worked Tues-Sat. The guy on Rte B, worked Monday, and WEd - Sat and had Tue off, etc.
My Dad worked Mon - Fri and this is how they had 6 guys cover 5 routes and deliver Mon - Sat. Kind of sucked for the guys who had to take a day off in the middle of the week.