UPS Towed My Car From Employee Parking Lot

kingOFchester

If you filed a complaint with small claims court, I would guess UPS would more then likely settle with you. UPS has big time lawyers that cost big time money. It would be cheaper for UPS to settle then to go to court and defend themselves. They have attorneys on retainer for lawsuits. But these lawyers don't work cheap.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
If you filed a complaint with small claims court, I would guess UPS would more then likely settle with you. UPS has big time lawyers that cost big time money. It would be cheaper for UPS to settle then to go to court and defend themselves. They have attorneys on retainer for lawsuits. But these lawyers don't work cheap.

True, but talking to them, face to face, may save you having to do this. mho. Why are you up so early, KOC, insomnia? I have to report to the preload at 4:30am today. Hope they don't tow my 1997 Explorer.:wink2:

True, but talking to them, face to face, may save you having to do this. mho.
This is true, but being organized when you talk to them would show you are serious and not just passing time.
Have copies of your estimate and/or statements from the other towing co. and the dealer or mechanic.

squirlygirly

I've got an old beater and apparently some genious in management had LP call the local police to have it towed bc they said it was an abandoned vehicle.

The car is legally reg and insured in my name and i have been driving it to work on and off for the last 6 years.

They didn't bother to call in the plates to see who the registered owner and to cross check with HR and confirm that I am an employee.

They paid to get it out of impound but get this. There is a lever to engage the 4 wheel drive ( subaru ) and i had left it engaged due to snow conditions and the parking brake was on. the car was locked up tight.

Now today there is a major storm in the Sierra and my 4 wheel drive NO LONGER WORKS!

Never had a problem before. we called another tow co. and they said it is POSSIBLE that the driver damaged the 4 wheel drive. I don't see any other explanation.

So what recourse do I have. The bill was in my name but the manager paid it with a CC. Am I gonna have to take the tow co, to small claims?

I'm talking with the BA tomorrow to get some advice and then speaking with the Hub manager.

i thought i would run it here too to get everyones take on it.

does this TAKE THE CAKE or what???:angry:

From past, personal experience, not with UPS though. TOW COMPANY is 110% to blame for any damage done to your vehicle, regardless of who ever called to have it taken away.

Having my Aun'ts car impounded a few years ago, the tow company used a flat bed truck. The car was hooked up to the tie-rod of the vehicle and then pulled up by the mechanism that basically bent the steering to the point that I was not able to drive it away when I went to retreive it the next day. Thankfully the tow yard took full responsibility, like they should have and repaired it right there on the spot.

The towing company is 110% at fault, no doubt, NO QUESTION!!!

kingOFchester

True, but talking to them, face to face, may save you having to do this. mho. Why are you up so early, KOC, insomnia? I have to report to the preload at 4:30am today. Hope they don't tow my 1997 Explorer.:wink2:

I agree. I would/will always choose to try and verbaly work out any issues that I have with my employer b4 resorting to lawsuit/grievence.

I was up early for work. I like to get the eye's opened and system octaned up b4 arriving at work.

I wish someone would tow my 15 year old clunker.

kingOFchester

From past, personal experience, not with UPS though. TOW COMPANY is 110% to blame for any damage done to your vehicle, regardless of who ever called to have it taken away.

Having my Aun'ts car impounded a few years ago, the tow company used a flat bed truck. The car was hooked up to the tie-rod of the vehicle and then pulled up by the mechanism that basically bent the steering to the point that I was not able to drive it away when I went to retreive it the next day. Thankfully the tow yard took full responsibility, like they should have and repaired it right there on the spot.

The towing company is 110% at fault, no doubt, NO QUESTION!!!

I don't think anyone is arguing the fact that the towing company is directly at fault for the damages.

What some of us are trying to communicate is that UPS is the one that caused their employer an expense due to towing a car that they had no right to tow. The towing company is contracted by UPS.

Lets say I was contractor, I hire a subcontractor to do the electrical on an addition. He makes a mistake and the house burns down. The sub-contractor is at fault. However, being that I hired the sub-contractor, and he is working for me, I too could be sued and found liable.

Take it one step further....a driver for UPS goes postal while making deliveries. UPS would be sued and would end up paying.

The-UK-Guy

Tea anyone ?
Drew

Was it you that called LP? From your defensive stance, it almost sounds like it.

As for the burden of proof, how do you want me to prove it. It was working when I drove it into work, now it isnt.

Same for damage to the body. What, you want me to show you photos of the car before damage was done? Sorry, I dont have the time to photograph my car each day on the way to work.

Sorry, UPS bought the car when they had it towed, illegally I might add.

d

Yep, and dont forget about the 5000 bucks that you came by and borrowed from me on your way in to work that morning, remember you put it in an envelope and left it in the glove box thinking it would be safe. Didnt you have an alpine stereo and custom bose speaker set installed before it came back from the tow yard ?? Those diamond earrings that you had custom made for your girlfriend are gonna be really difficult to replace also.............:happy2:

The-UK-Guy

Tea anyone ?
I dont see eye to eye with tow truck drivers. I found out the hard way that punching them in the face unhooking your own car and throwing their keys on the roof of a near by buisness costs almost 8000 dollars after lawyer fees. Its almost better to pay the 250 inpound fee but nowhere near as satisfying as watching the guy who was gonna leave you stranded ,stranded himself.:devil3:

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Take it one step further....a driver for UPS goes postal while making deliveries. UPS would be sued and would end up paying.

You mean like, going into a yard and beating the dog?:wink2: Or like this here UK-Guy, (below)?

I dont see eye to eye with tow truck drivers. I found out the hard way that punching them in the face unhooking your own car and throwing their keys on the roof of a near by buisness costs almost 8000 dollars after lawyer fees. Its almost better to pay the 250 inpound fee but nowhere near as satisfying as watching the guy who was gonna leave you stranded ,stranded himself.:devil3:

Like I was saying; UK-Guy is someone you want to be friends with.:anxious:

A

anonymous6

I got the bad news last night. management told me to take it up with the tow co. they wouln't even allow me to speak to the LP person who called for the tow.

there are ways around that

I'm not quitting.

here comes round two. legal councel.

kingOFchester

You go sport! :confused:

kingOFchester

I got the bad news last night. management told me to take it up with the tow co. they wouln't even allow me to speak to the LP person who called for the tow.

there are ways around that

I'm not quitting.

here comes round two. legal councel.

Pretty much inline with what I expected. Hopefully you will win and recoup council fee's as well as repairs.

over9five

Staff member
I got the bad news last night. management told me to take it up with the tow co.

I think your attorney will see things differently.

I think you should immediately file a greivance to get paid your overtime rate for the time it took you to find out what happened to your car that night, and go get it.

I guess we should have known they wouldn't do the right thing on their own.

P

pickup

Re: Stay with me on this.....

[QU by orangputeh

BTW, It seems like you already know the "Laws Of Life"

if you are referring to the actual laws of life, there is a difference to knowing them (which I don't lay claim to knowing them ) and obeying them.

If you are talking about the book, no I never heard of it until I saw some of your earlier posts where you recommended it to other guys to read. Sorry to reply so late.

P

pickup

Like I was saying; UK-Guy is someone you want to be friends with.:anxious:[/QUOTE]

I think england may have to reconsider its policy have the police force not carrying guns with uk guy coming back home. I think they modeled the character "Snake" from the simpsons on uk guy

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Like I was saying; UK-Guy is someone you want to be friends with.:anxious:

I think england may have to reconsider its policy have the police force not carrying guns with uk guy coming back home. I think they modeled the character "Snake" from the simpsons on uk guy[/quote]

You mean this Snake?
392182188_bbf03d1f0d.jpg

P

pickup

I think england may have to reconsider its policy have the police force not carrying guns with uk guy coming back home. I think they modeled the character "Snake" from the simpsons on uk guy

You mean this Snake?
392182188_bbf03d1f0d.jpg
[/QUOTE]

yep, that snake. ( there was an episode where lisa and bart jump off their bike, and two seconds later , snake's little girl jumps on the bike and shouts with glee "look, daddy, I'm stealing" and snakes says to himself with a tear coming from his eye "I'm so proud!"

P

pickup

orangputeh amongst other things, I thought that was what you get when an orangatang (Im not going to figure out how to spell it) and a computer get together and have a kid. I think you know UPS has a hard time learning from its mistakes. Similar to the signs some people put in their car windows ("NO RADIO") , You may have to put a sign in your window stating your name/feeder driver in the windshield of your beater when you park in the ups parking lot.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
orangputeh amongst other things, I thought that was what you get when an orangatang (Im not going to figure out how to spell it) and a computer get together and have a kid. I think you know UPS has a hard time learning from its mistakes. Similar to the signs some people put in their car windows ("NO RADIO") , You may have to put a sign in your window stating your name/feeder driver in the windshield of your beater when you park in the ups parking lot.

OP is a feeder driver?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Boy, you do have some issues, don't you?