UPS Training Tactics

oldupsman

And stop counts... Good luck with that. Could have been 15-20 off, sometimes in your favor, but usually not. No one really cared, just get er' done!

Got any hair salons, fabric shops, small mom and pop retail stores on route? They all used to get tons of COD's, many cash. The driver had to add up amounts for each shipper number. Sometimes, you would get cash plus check, so you would have to subtract that amount. Add to that, the receiver would pick and choose what COD to take that day... Oh the pain...

Off by 15-20? How about 60-70. And not in my favor. We were constantly overloaded every day.

ups1990

Many of us here had the privilege of being air drivers during the week and on Saturdays. This was a tremendous advantage going into full time.
The new driver training class is a joke at least around here it is. One week all textbook instructions. No textbook or handbook in the world can possible prepare a person for whats coming their way.
I would have them train on the Diad for the whole week followed by a day or two riding with a full timer.
My personal feeling is that its better to show the new driver the whole complete training route from the beginning with the on road handling the majority of the work in the first days. Too many times, they are sent with a very light load only to be fooled into believing its an easy job, then quitting because they went out with the whole route.

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
Many of us here had the privilege of being air drivers during the week and on Saturdays. This was a tremendous advantage going into full time.
The new driver training class is a joke at least around here it is. One week all textbook instructions. No textbook or handbook in the world can possible prepare a person for whats coming their way.
I would have them train on the Diad for the whole week followed by a day or two riding with a full timer.
My personal feeling is that its better to show the new driver the whole complete training route from the beginning with the on road handling the majority of the work in the first days. Too many times, they are sent with a very light load only to be fooled into believing its an easy job, then quitting because they went out with the whole route.

Don't know where you're at but driving school is only 2.5 days here and the diad was very briefly covered. For space and vis, they drove around in big suburbans. Now that's a joke. I first went to school and it was a week, not so anymore.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
What a daunting, miserable task it must have been to have to sheet every stop and every tracking # on paper. And yet here I am pissin' n moanin' about my D5 buttons rubbing off. Kudos to all of you who didn't have the modern technology that we have now and still managed make it 20+ years!
Back when we were on 50-liners, we didnt have 1Z-tracking labels that had to be written down. All you had to write down was the address and the 6-digit shipper number and the package weight and then "DR" for Driver Release if you didnt get a signature.

The part that was daunting was facing a bricked-out truck every morning with only a vague idea of what stops were in there. You didnt have a manifest showing your stops, or how many pieces per stop, or how many stops you had. Package tracking as we understand it did not exist.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
When I got out of package cars. A few shippers allowed their packages to be left without signatures. driver release as it is right now didn't exist. We had to indirect everything, have a signed signature card, or....or......use our own version of driver release before it became official. haha wink wink

I'm an Air Walker guys. Not a package car driver. But thanks for the kind words and advice.

I have my own route downtown pushing Air packages on foot, mainly to office buildings, restaurants, and loading docks. And I can't forget about the elevators that smell like piss, vomit, and paint. It's wonderful.

Tomorrow there's a 100% chance of rain. Yay.

Sent using BrownCafe App