UPS truck driver parks across 3 handicap parking spaces

HomeDelivery

facepalm... i parked in firelanes sometimes, but just to deliver a package quickly...

never at a handicap parking spot (just to go get something to drink??? sheesh)

---------------------------------------

I get laughed at when I walk into my delivery van carrying a gallon of mixed juice, 1/2 gallon of ice water, and a small cooler with 2 squeezie bottles & ice...

since I don't get paid hourly, I don't feel like stopping at a local wawa, 7-11, quickie mart to quench my thirst when I have all the liquids in my van for the whole 12-14 hour day (oh wait, I forgot you guys have mandatory breaks as well)

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Some lady in their husbands escalade that needed to use the Red Box video kiosk in her sports bra where she just got back from playing tennis with her 4 kids in the back from which she had to pick up her "depression" pills at the pharmacy and formally gets a parking permit for her "disability" called in. You need to be more considerate when you're there for the whole 30 secs sheesh. You know who I'm talking about.....

Lets be real...he was 100% in the wrong no matter what the reason he parked there,but to be fired for it? Sounds to me they were just looking for a reason to hang himself. With any luck maybe Upstate can shed some of his much needed wisdom here............................

klein

Für Meno :)
I read all the comments on that article.
I guess not only did he take up those hadicapped spaces and being ignorant about it, but apparently he left his truck running, too.
So, that's a double whammy.

It is grounds for being fired (and in the comments it says he has been fired).

1 stupid mistake (decision), that's all it takes to get dismissed at UPS. :(

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Just work on your limp and you're home free.

Spend one day in a wheelchair and see if you still find this "funny".

Who hasn't done that? He should have been more contrite and perhaps not smiled. Hopefully, he'll be able to begin his Labor Day weekend early.

I would never even think of blocking three handicapped spaces.

The driver was discharged Monday, apparently.

Well deserved.

For parking in a handicap spot?

Suppose it were you in the wheelchair--would you still feel the same?

No worry, the Union will get his job back.

Unfortunately you are right.

It's quite simple--stay the **** out of handicapped parking spaces.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I do it all the time. Its either block empty handicap spots or block other parked cars. Deal with it.

I would but you would not like the way that I would.

I would block your vehicle wiith my car and call the police. I would insist that they ticket and tow your vehicle immediately. You would then have to explain that to your supervisor.

There is a prison guard locally who's wife was involved in a horrific auto accident which left her with a permanent limp. She was issued a handicap placard. She no longer drives so he has to take her everywhere. He will use the handicap spaces when she is with him, which is of course his right; however, he will also use the handicap spaces when she is not with him, which is of course not right. I should probably tell you that he is 6' 2" tall, over 200 lbs and in a lot better shape than I am. He can certainly walk from a "regular" parking space. I confront him (when not working) all the time on this, reminding him that the placard is for his wife, not him.

I want you to imagine that one of your children or your spouse is wheelchair bound the next time you think about parking in a handicap spot. Dave.

U

uber

Ahhhh, Upstate the moral compass. Where would your hub be without you, actually where would UPS be without you.

Indecisi0n

I would block your vehicle wiith my car and call the police. I would insist that they ticket and tow your vehicle immediately. You would then have to explain that to your supervisor.

There is a prison guard locally who's wife was involved in a horrific auto accident which left her with a permanent limp. She was issued a handicap placard. She no longer drives so he has to take her everywhere. He will use the handicap spaces when she is with him, which is of course his right; however, he will also use the handicap spaces when she is not with him, which is of course not right. I should probably tell you that he is 6' 2" tall, over 200 lbs and in a lot better shape than I am. He can certainly walk from a "regular" parking space. I confront him (when not working) all the time on this, reminding him that the placard is for his wife, not him.

I want you to imagine that one of your children or your spouse is wheelchair bound the next time you think about parking in a handicap spot. Dave.

I would make the call for you to my supervisor because i was trained this way. As long as I am on the right side of the road (facing the right way in traffic) I am good.

Backlasher

Stronger, Faster, Browner
I do it all the time. Its either block empty handicap spots or block other parked cars. Deal with it.

That's what I'm curious about. What were the conditions there? Was the parking lot jammed with cars and this was the only "safe" area. Could he have not parked in lot at all and curb parked on a busy street increasing the risk of an accident?
Way to many possabilities.

You want to avoid being hit while parked and I'm not saying driver was correct but we can't c the big picture of that area.

I would've been conciderate and moved it instead of smiling, smooth out the problem, and wouldn't of tried parking there if it was a full lot anyways just for a break. Delivering, maybe, not for a break.

I thought the large truck makes us handicap as in limited parking options.

klein

Für Meno :)
He should have opoligized immediatly to that woman, say how sorry he was, etc..... and maybe it wouldn't had made the paper and he would have kept his job,

But apparently he was a complete jerk about it - and therfor I think it will be hard for him to get his job back.
I believe most of you drivers are polite, and liked - that's one of the reasons UPS is the leader in the industry, because it sure ain't their shipping prices !

John19841

Explain to me why it' such a huge problem for the driver to park there for maybe 30-90 seconds it takes to make a delivery, yet you're completely willing to keep that spot blocked for a good half an hour to get 'justice'? Nevermind all the while you'd be blocking at least 1 handicap space, plus more room for your car, some more room for a police car, and yet more room for a tow truck.