UPS truck driver parks across 3 handicap parking spaces

HULKAMANIA

Ok so tell me what is the difference between doing that and "pausing" on a NO PARKING street? UPSers do it all the time I for one am one of them, but then again I was trained to do so. I was told you "Arent stopping, you are pausing." So wouldnt that apply to the handicap spaces? I will be the first to admit I have blocked a handicapped spot before, never three at once but I have. I dont know about you guys but when Im on the big brown turd Im looking for the quickest way to get to the most important stop of the day-HOME!

rod

Retired 22 years
Oh snap. I bet a news crew is waiting outside to interview me.

The last time I ate (if you call it that) at my local MacDonalds every table had a "handicap" logo on it. Not wanting to sit on the floor- I sat at one myself. I parked the old UPS truck many place where I wasn't suppose to but I did stay out of the handicap spaces. Now days it seems like everyone except me has a handicap plate, a special service dog or some kind of "Oh whoe is me' gimmic going. My 85 year old mother-in-law still uses my deceased father-in-laws handicap thing that hangs on the rearview mirror--even though she could get one for herself if she wasn't so friggin stuborn.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Ok so tell me what is the difference between doing that and "pausing" on a NO PARKING street? UPSers do it all the time I for one am one of them, but then again I was trained to do so. I was told you "Arent stopping, you are pausing." So wouldnt that apply to the handicap spaces? I will be the first to admit I have blocked a handicapped spot before, never three at once but I have. I dont know about you guys but when Im on the big brown turd Im looking for the quickest way to get to the most important stop of the day-HOME!

Exactly!!!
This is much to do about nothing.
The present day quest for political correctness has gotten out of hand.
While having the close parking spots available for handicapped people is the right thing to do, why is it above them to wait 30 seconds while I lug in a cart load of parcels weighing hundreds of pounds?

HomeDelivery

u missed the point that he went into the store for a drink, not to deliver a parcel

he could have parked somewhere else; i know this area since i'm a cover driver for that town as well...

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Exactly!!!
This is much to do about nothing.
The present day quest for political correctness has gotten out of hand.
While having the close parking spots available for handicapped people is the right thing to do, why is it above them to wait 30 seconds while I lug in a cart load of parcels weighing hundreds of pounds?
The same reason other people who can't wait, you're blue collar scum and they are more important then you. The people that generally understand are those that know what work is or are generally regular people and not elitist.

Indecisi0n

u missed the point that he went into the store for a drink, not to deliver a parcel

he could have parked somewhere else; i know this area since i'm a cover driver for that town as well...

Thats the only thing i see wrong here. If he was on a "personal" break then he should have parked on the side/rear and walked around.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Spend just an hour in a wheelchair and then tell me if the driver did nothing wrong.

I am not a saint when it comes to parking. I try to find the closest legal parking space whenever possible; however, there are times when double parking or parking in a fire lane is my only option. When I am forced to do this I try to complete the deliveries as quickly as possible and get out of there. The one thing that I will not do is park in a handicapped space, especially if I am just going in to the store to get a drink.

I overreacted when I said that I would have blocked his vehicle and waited for it to be ticketed and towed. I would wait for it to be ticketed but towing it would be over the top.

The reactions of many here have been disappointing. I only hope that none of you have a family member that could be impacted by this knucklehead.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture

I caught that, but if you read the post I quoted, you'll see that wasn't where conversation had went. I was simply making an oberservation as to whether or not it is ever acceptable for us to park/stop in this manner. I still say for brief periods, they can wait for us to make our delivery.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Put yourself in their wheels and see if you still feel this way.
I'm not saying they shouldn't have the special parking spots, rather they can wait a short time while I wheel in a package. They deserve physical accomidations but asking fhem to wait is not unreasonable. When you spoke of double parking earlier, how is that any different? How is somebody's time more valuable than anothers?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I'm not saying they shouldn't have the special parking spots, rather they can wait a short time while I wheel in a package. They deserve physical accomidations but asking fhem to wait is not unreasonable. When you spoke of double parking earlier, how is that any different? How is somebody's time more valuable than anothers?

When I double park it is as a last resort and I always "scan steering wheels of parked cars" before doing so. If the driver comes out I move.

Parking in a handicapped spot is much different. I pray that you or one of your family members never have to use a handicapped parking spot.

klein

Für Meno :)
That's exactly what I did (double parked), and if someone came out, I just moved a notch ahead to let the person out. But , some people were so nice about it, they just said, they could wait another minute, don't worry, continue your delivery.

That beats parking in a handicapped zone, any giving day or situation !

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I like the 400 pounders with handicap stickers. If they parked in the farthest stall they might not need the sticker eventually.

raceanoncr

I like the 400 pounders with handicap stickers. If they parked in the farthest stall they might not need the sticker eventually.

You GOTTA be talking bout my ex. Used to have to drop her off at every door. No, nothing was ever wrong, just had to be dropped off at every, stinkin door. Now, still ain't nuthin wrong but uses one of those Hoverounds.

Notice, I said, EX!!!!!

Mick32

That's what I'm curious about. What were the conditions there? Was the parking lot jammed with cars and this was the only "safe" area. Could he have not parked in lot at all and curb parked on a busy street increasing the risk of an accident?
Way to many possabilities.

You want to avoid being hit while parked and I'm not saying driver was correct but we can't c the big picture of that area.

I would've been conciderate and moved it instead of smiling, smooth out the problem, and wouldn't of tried parking there if it was a full lot anyways just for a break. Delivering, maybe, not for a break.

I thought the large truck makes us handicap as in limited parking options.

The "conditions" from what I understand are that he parked at Checkers to grab a drink and maybe use the restroom and was unapologetic when he came out and was confronted by the lady with the handicapped daughter. If you look at the picture, he was all smiles when they took it. I also don't think it was appreciated that he told the lady he was "never trained" to avoid handicap spots.

THETOWN

The picture showed him being a smart-ass, by smiling he made himself like a jerk. If this is how he reacted to the driver, I'm sure he's what MGT would consider a "most help needed" driver. I'm sure it's not the first incident of him acting this way. Every bldg has these type of guys, i.e. fired for coming on to women, telling customers to "bleep off" etc. They make us all look bad.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I blocked a handicap spot this morning and thought of you upstate.

Ditto.
IMG_20110901_1154191.jpg
IMG_20110901_1154191.jpg

THETOWN

I'm jealous. Looks like you have a newer pkg car. I drive a 1987 P1000, no power steering, no low step etc......... That's all I'm asking for power steering in the big city.