UPS Truck Hits House after Driver falls out. Rumor or fact?

Babagounj

Strength through joy
I known of several incidents like this and all those drivers are still employed, a few have been banned from driving again.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
My bad. I blame google maps. It showed me the east coast area. Im from washington and have not heard of the incident or area or the incident.
There is a neighborhood called Dupont circle in Washington DC, I don't know if that led to your problem with google maps....

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
...in the movie American President, Dupont Circle is referred to as being a difficult place to drive--is there a rotary there?
Around here we call them "circles", and yes that's what it's named for :wink2:.
It's a very cool area to hang out, but traffic does suck so take the Metro (pro tip).

diesel96

Ironically, according to the article.."The crash occurred on Hoffman Hill Boulevard at the intersection of Brown Avenue"

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Ironically, according to the article.."The crash occurred on Hoffman Hill Boulevard at the intersection of Brown Avenue"

I followed-up on the link Upstate posted. The DuPont being referred to is in Washington State, and looks like it is just south of Tacoma. Probably a suburb, judging from the photo of the impacted house.

BadHABITS

I followed-up on the link Upstate posted. The DuPont being referred to is in Washington State, and looks like it is just south of Tacoma. Probably a suburb, judging from the photo of the impacted house.

Hoffman Hill Blvd
DuPont, WA 98327

capturehp.jpg

Hit curb (looks like it has happened before), ejected from vehicle, vehicle jumps curb, takes out light pole & tree, and impacts house/porch. Just guessing...
capturehp.jpg

beatupbrown

WE had a driver that had a roll a way took out a garage and old worn out sled 500.He was fired for a few days .The driver was a bonus monkey got his job back.

SWORDFISH

Strange that I have heard nothing of this. Usually my center manager will be passing around pictures of stuff like this. This isnt far from me.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I was wrong in my earlier post, apparently this is a completely different incident from the one I mentioned. There was a similar incident that occured out of the Swan Island building in Portland. I assumed they were the same because Swan Island used to service Vancouver WA but I had forgotten that Vancouver has its own building now.

iloadthetruck

Hm. I did not read any of the links, but I remember a few years back seeing photos from an accident when a driver was circling in a cul-de-sac, w/o a seatbelt, and fell out of the package car, destroying some lovely bay windows in the process. That one did make me chuckle.

browned out

If he was a bonus driver, there's always hope!

More like 90% chance if bonus driver. We had a driver hit a bike rider. No unobstructed views, nothing but clear views left and right. People including management have seen this driver on the phone, no seatbelt, etc. Runs an 1 hour or 2 under though.

Ah he didn't kill the guy lets give his job back. Funny the same thing that got this guy in this accident ; got him his job back. the only time these runners and corner cutters show up on a report is when something like this happens.

UPS is on me for 50 to 75 over and I can explain it with reasons and documentation. Yet they see people running 2 to 3 hours under and no bells or whistles go off.

Do your job and follow the methods.

I hope this driver is ok and has a reason.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
More like 90% chance if bonus driver. We had a driver hit a bike rider. No unobstructed views, nothing but clear views left and right. People including management have seen this driver on the phone, no seatbelt, etc. Runs an 1 hour or 2 under though.

Ah he didn't kill the guy lets give his job back. Funny the same thing that got this guy in this accident ; got him his job back. the only time these runners and corner cutters show up on a report is when something like this happens.

UPS is on me for 50 to 75 over and I can explain it with reasons and documentation. Yet they see people running 2 to 3 hours under and no bells or whistles go off.

Do your job and follow the methods.

I hope this driver is ok and has a reason.

Frustrating...for sure. But there will be a time where the company doesnt back them and they try to fire them..only in time for the union to get their job back...lol. The system isnt allowing that much bonus anymore, things have been shaved down too much IMO, but there will be some who try to manipulate the system...hope it doesnt bite them in the rear! In my part of the woods 30 minutes over is more like -15....if they ride you tell them to come out and show you how its done...lead by example!

browned out

You are right. Here 65 over is probably equal to scratch on many routes. UPS knows this but they will pressure you and me and it will work on some drivers; causing them to cut corners or skip lunch or breaks.

It is also a very useful but dangerous tool to use on probationary and/or swing drivers. "come on you gotta make scratch" I hope it does not end in a fatality. These drivers are inexperienced,impressionable and under alot of pressure.