UPS Unloader (Switching Shifts)

RuthlessHound

Hello, I have been working with UPS on the twilight shift for a little over a month now and just have a simple question. Since I was hired on to be on the twilight shift is this shift locked in for me? My Supervisor mentioned something on Friday about moving to a different job or shift (Can't remember what exactly he said because I was busy at the time). Basically I just want to keep my Twilight shift hours (5pm-10:30-11pm) and be assured that they cannot just move me to another shift if they so please. Once again I was hired on the Twilight shift as an unloader and do not want just want to be moved on UPS' terms. Please let me know if I will be able to keep my shift because I do not feel that it is right to move someone after being hired in for specifically that shift. I believe the supervisor may have been mentioning moving to the load or scan on the same shift but I just want to make sure that my twilight hours are safe. Thanks.

RuthlessHound

I feel that since I was hired to be on the Twilight shift at my UPS that they should be able to move me from job to job on that particular shift if need be but should NOT be able to change me from lets say Twilight Unloader (5pm-10pm) to Pre-Load (3am-8am). Again, they did not tell me I was going to change shifts but I sure as hell do not want to go from what I have now to a 3am start time.

Anyone that knows more on this issue I would be very thankful for insight. Thank you.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I feel that since I was hired to be on the Twilight shift at my UPS that they should be able to move me from job to job on that particular shift if need be but should NOT be able to change me from lets say Twilight Unloader (5pm-10pm) to Pre-Load (3am-8am). Again, they did not tell me I was going to change shifts but I sure as hell do not want to go from what I have now to a 3am start time.

Anyone that knows more on this issue I would be very thankful for insight. Thank you.
I don't believe they can force you to switch shifts. But if you haven't made book (gotten seniority) yet, they can send you home without working if they don't need you on the twilight shift.

RuthlessHound

I have seniority I'm just on the bottom or near the bottom of the list. Ive only worked for 35 days I believe. I always work thru the week so I must be doing well so far. More insight appreciated. Thank you.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I have seniority I'm just on the bottom or near the bottom of the list. Ive only worked for 35 days I believe. I always work thru the week so I must be doing well so far. More insight appreciated. Thank you.
If you're not sure what your supervisor said, why don't you just ask? It's a lot easier then asking for speculation here.

If you are laded off from twi you can bump the least senior person on another sort. I believe they just want to put you somewhere else on the twi. Happens all the time to new guys.

Johnny Paycheck

Speak softly and carry a big stick.
I love how 35 day wonders have this (false) sense of entitlement.
I didn't see any entitlement. I saw "I was hired for x shift, I would like to stay on x shift." I love how someone who never worked a day in the hub talks down to someone who's worked 35. I think you unfairly get a bad rap around here sometimes but come on now.

Last edited:

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
I love how 35 day wonders have this (false) sense of entitlement.

That's kinda off the wall thinking, I mean he's not expecting to make $35 an hour or make his own schedule, or get the lightest truck to load, he just wants to to be where the company originally
hired him to be.

I don't care if I was doing a job for 1 day or 3500 days, I wouldn't want to be jerked around like that either with less than a weekend to get accustomed to the new routine. This guy gets off at 2300 on a Friday and has to be back in on Monday 0300...looks like a very short weekend to me.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I didn't see any entitlement. I saw "I was hired for x shift, I would like to stay on x shift." I love how someone who never worked a day in the hub talks down to someone who's worked 35. I think you unfairly get a bad rap around here sometimes but come on now.
I don't see entitlement, but I do see a lack of common sense. I won't ask my sup to repeat what they said because I was busy and didn't understand them. I will post about it on the internet instead.

J

jibbs

I don't see entitlement, but I do see a lack of common sense. I won't ask my sup to repeat what they said because I was busy and didn't understand them. I will post about it on the internet instead.

I just say "okay" and ask the guy next to me if he knows what I was just told to do.

Normally it's because they yell so hoarsely I can't understand what they're saying, "Huhaaaaa gerreda [WHAT THE :censored2: IS GOING ON]cawwowt demdamurregs [IRREG haaaaaaa] GOSHAWWW! HEERADEY AGHHHHHHHHH [IRREG haaaaaaaaaa]" is what I always hear in the background of my building. I don't even pretend to understand anymore. If the supe isn't within like 15ft of me while he's talking then any possibility of comprehension is pretty much out the window.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I just say "okay" and ask the guy next to me if he knows what I was just told to do.

Normally it's because they yell so hoarsely I can't understand what they're saying, "Huhaaaaa gerreda [WHAT THE :censored2: IS GOING ON]cawwowt demdamurregs [IRREG haaaaaaa] GOSHAWWW! HEERADEY AGHHHHHHHHH [IRREG haaaaaaaaaa]" is what I always hear in the background of my building. I don't even pretend to understand anymore. If the supe isn't within like 15ft of me while he's talking then any possibility of comprehension is pretty much out the window.
the only thing i hear or yell my entire shift is "watch the bottom belt" (irreg belt) or yell out slide numbers for the irregs coming down...or location of jams that need to be broken. Other than that...if management wants to talk to me..they better come up to me. Between my ipod and the belt buzzers..I can't hear a thing.