UPS vacation

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by she13820eyes, Mar 8, 2011.

1. she13820eyes

she13820eyes New Member

Hello everyone,
    i am not a UPS employee but my boyfriend is, and i was wondering if there is such a thing as not allowing the employee to take a day off from his vacation. I will try to explain what i mean... apparently they told him that to take vacation he has to take the full week off, which to me sounds like bs. Is there any truth to this or can he take a day off of his vacation is he is sick and has no sick days left?
    any help you can give me i will appreciate.
  2. Re-Raise

Re-Raise Well-Known Member

We have to schedule our vacations in November for the following year. We have to take a full week for all but one week which we can opt to split into individual days. The rules for many things at UPS are different in different areas of the country.
  3. she13820eyes

she13820eyes New Member

Awesome, thank you so much for your quick response!
  4. upsguy72

upsguy72 The Berkshires

Your are required to take your full week at a time. You can take your personal and sick days one day at a time. In some areas you can combine sick and personels days to make another full week.
  5. menotyou

menotyou bella amicizia

Depends on the manager, especially if they are short-handed.
  6. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Well-Known Member

This used to be the case here but Syracuse has put an end to working during vacations. We have to take the full week off--which is the way that it should be anyway.
  7. UPSSOCKS

UPSSOCKS Well-Known Member

Sounds to me like your b/f is seeing someone that works with him. He has used all his days off and is sneaking to the nearest hotel. You deserve better...
  8. bottomups

bottomups Bad Moon Risen'

He deserves better! Heard it was your wife he was boinking!
  9. UPSSOCKS

UPSSOCKS Well-Known Member

somebody has too...
  10. dannyboy

dannyboy From the promised LAND

Ah, da socks is back.........
  11. dcdriver

dcdriver nations capital

if more than 5 weeks of vacation you can use 1 week that can be broken up as single days.
  12. Braveheart

Braveheart New Member

We have to pick all our weeks in the prior year. All are mon-fri and no individual days off in our contract. So he speaks the truth.
  13. menotyou

menotyou bella amicizia

A certain someone down there use to get very annoyed with my management team when they would ask me to do it.
    It allows understaffing, so I do agree that it shouldn't be allowed.
    We have one guy in our building that runs out of days by the end of January. Every year. I don't understand why he does it to himself.
    To the OP, why is your b/f out of days already?
  14. tracker2762

tracker2762 Member

If your referring to personal days, His may not start in January, ours are from May to May. I been out since January myself.
  15. menotyou

menotyou bella amicizia

Ours start in January. He does this every year.
  16. If your s/o has any kind of okay relationship with the F/T sup, I think the sup would let him take the week vacation and only take four days of pay.

There was a time three years ago when I had lumped 3 sick/2 option days into a week vacation, used three of those sick days (prior to the week scheduled). I took the week scheduled and was paid the two option days, instead of paid five days.

It depends on the region, the type of sup/mgmt involved and dynamics of the situation.

Our calender year also runs May1-April 30
  17. dannyboy

dannyboy From the promised LAND

Every area can be different. It depends on the supplement.

Here, after your second week, you can take the third one day at a time.
    You can take one week of vacation one day at a time, or you can bid all your weeks as vacation.

You can also bid one extra week of sick or personal days, but that week has to be chosen after all the other employees in your workgroup chose their regular vacation days.

So, a a driver with 5 weeks vacation, I could bid 4 weeks ahead of time, 5 weeks ahead of time, or more after everyone else had chosen their weeks, if I wanted to use sick or personal days.

d
  18. FAVREFAN

FAVREFAN Member

Where I am, we get 3 personal/optional days. Sometimes we can use them as a sick day when you call in but that depends on your boss. Technically you are supposed to request them well in advance. We are not allowed to split any of our vacation time here, that includes our option week. Full vacation weeks only. I can't imagine how cool that would be to split up my option week into single days. I would take 5 Friday's or Monday's in a row! I'll keep dreaming.
  19. Re-Raise

Re-Raise Well-Known Member

I get six full weeks and split the seventh week into individual days. We also get three optional days, we don't get any sick days.
  20. upsguy72

upsguy72 The Berkshires

We get 2-6 weeks of vacation depending on years of service we all 5 sick days and 3 personals days. You can use a combination of sick and personals days to make another week of vacation so some drivers have 7 weeks and 3 sick days.