UPS vs. FDX

hdkappler

I just don't get this guy, always slamming FDX , then follows up by saying what a great company UPS is. His posts make me sick. Everytime someone something bad to say about FDX here come Mr. FDX to put his two cents in.

He adds nothing to this forum thats worth anything. How about stop being so kissy assy and start posting stuff thats relavant.
:happy2:it's funny about fedx drivers.the appearance of some.ex ups management went to fed-x.ups'swaste is fed-x gain.should i say ups's flunkees.

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
The sad thing is you can attribute this directly to baleing out the Central States Pension fund to the tune of 5 Billion dollars. Not only was this the result but also UPS loss thier AAA credit rating. Ironically enough though UPS and FDX now have the same credit rating. So yes untill this is paid in full the company will suffer. Now again what was the strike of 96 over?[/QUOTE]

What strike in '96? Sorry, I had to bait ya on this one. It was in '97. I was with the company for a whole 6 months when we went on strike. Good call on UPS and the 5 billion ducats/credit rating fiasco.

bbsam

Staff member
:happy2:it's funny about fedx drivers.the appearance of some.ex ups management went to fed-x.ups'swaste is fed-x gain.should i say ups's flunkees.
Being a former UPS driver, I think I'm supposed to be offended. But I'm not. Though I certainly fit the discription "UPS's flunkee", it also only tells half the story. FDX Ground has been a very good fit and very profitable. We aren't leaving. Don't kid yourself into thinking FDX is DHL all over again. Let's compete. And realize also that our structure is not that of UPS. We aren't tellin people that they will have their package tomorrow by 2:30. They may get it at 4:30. But if Joe Customer doesn't need it for 3 days and saves money getting it at 4:30 rather than 2:30 then he may find it acceptable. Also I've personally seen people get packages at 4:30 and have it a day earlier than UPS's advertised transit from the same shipper. What I'm saying is that with any given package, time of day delivery may not tell the whole story.

klein

Für Meno :)
Being a former UPS driver, I think I'm supposed to be offended. But I'm not. Though I certainly fit the discription "UPS's flunkee", it also only tells half the story. FDX Ground has been a very good fit and very profitable. We aren't leaving. Don't kid yourself into thinking FDX is DHL all over again. Let's compete. And realize also that our structure is not that of UPS. We aren't tellin people that they will have their package tomorrow by 2:30. They may get it at 4:30. But if Joe Customer doesn't need it for 3 days and saves money getting it at 4:30 rather than 2:30 then he may find it acceptable. Also I've personally seen people get packages at 4:30 and have it a day earlier than UPS's advertised transit from the same shipper. What I'm saying is that with any given package, time of day delivery may not tell the whole story.

I would work for fedex.
Hey, 1 mistake made after my run, shouldn't ruin my life.

Actually, I think fedex packages arrive sooner in the day.
They are done in thier day, earlier then UPS is.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
No, you keep on posting. Never know fedex might be my new job.
Besides, we been here before.
Most do love your input, and we get to know how the grass grows on the other side .

Don't worry, be happy !:happy-very:

They are still hiring in selected areas. From what I've read from you, FedEx is a better deal in Canada than the US. Your grass is lush and green and ours looks like management peed all over it...repeatedly.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
:happy2:you worked for 12ex-ups managers?wonder how many of them were fired from ups?:happy-very:looks like fedx ground was organized by ups waste.

As far as I know, all of them were fired from UPS, although only 2 of them would admit to it. Both FedEx Express and FedEx Ground are full of UPS rejects and left-overs. That explains a lot,doesn't it?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I just don't get this guy, always slamming FDX , then follows up by saying what a great company UPS is. His posts make me sick. Everytime someone something bad to say about FDX here come Mr. FDX to put his two cents in.

He adds nothing to this forum thats worth anything. How about stop being so kissy assy and start posting stuff thats relavant.

Hey, another "fan". When I (we) start bitching about the low pay and all the other garbage that is today's FedEx, guess what company we use as a comparison? Or a benchmark,or do you even know what that means? We would absolutely love to get your level of pay and benefits. Most of us wish we had waited it out as handlers at Brown instead of going for the quicker route to driver via FedEx.

FedEx sucks, so I pile it on whenever I can, and here's why.

1. So someone who is considering FedEx as a career gets the real story before they sign on and blow their life on a crappy company that doesn't give a rats ass about anything but profit. Since we're non-union, guess what we can do about it? NOTHING.

2. Because many of us want a union, and almost everything bad anyone says on these forums is true, especially about Ground.

3. To let UPS employees how good they've got it, and to be glad they are Teamsters. Even if the IBT is corrupt, as non-union workers,you'd all be tossing pkgs for about $8-10 per hour less than you make right now, plus you wouldn't have a pension, AND management could outsource your work at will like FedEx does ours. Do you ever see a UPS trailer being hauled by a contract carrier or can hauler? No. Is your air volume siphoned-off to an all owner-operator low-cost carrier that undercuts UPS by passing-off almost all costs to an "independent contractor" (FedEx Ground)? No.

UPS is a much better company, and I want a unionized FedEx to be similar. Is that too kissy assy for you, or should I wrap it up and spray it with Chanel#5 so you'll like it better? Is that relevant enough for you?

All Express workers are true employees, with benefits (lousy).
Care to go into detail about how Fedex benefits our lousy compared to UPS?I was a driver at UPS for 13 years and I don't remember the UPS benefits being so superior.If anything they were worse.A surgeries that my wife had to get were also denied.This was a long time ago so it may be different now.Every Local is different.

bbsam

Staff member
As far as I know, all of them were fired from UPS, although only 2 of them would admit to it. Both FedEx Express and FedEx Ground are full of UPS rejects and left-overs. That explains a lot,doesn't it?
It doesn't explain why you would jump out of the frying pan and into the fire of UPS. Do you really think it better over there? Do your think everyone who quit or was fired from UPS was in the wrong? That because they left UPS they were a failure and UPS right to let them go. All is true in my case, but I've seen too many fine ex-upsers at Fedex to believe that UPS showed good judgement in every instance. Or even in a majority.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
It doesn't explain why you would jump out of the frying pan and into the fire of UPS. Do you really think it better over there? Do your think everyone who quit or was fired from UPS was in the wrong? That because they left UPS they were a failure and UPS right to let them go. All is true in my case, but I've seen too many fine ex-upsers at Fedex to believe that UPS showed good judgement in every instance. Or even in a majority.

All of the ex-UPS managers I've worked with had a great deal of UPS left in them. I'm sure some got out because they perceived the stress to be lower at FedEx, but most were probably terminated. Why else would you go to do a very similar job for much lower pay, no stock, and a retirement that is much less? For a long time ex-UPS managers were welcomed with open arms because FedEx thought they would bring increased efficiency along with them.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Care to go into detail about how Fedex benefits our lousy compared to UPS?I was a driver at UPS for 13 years and I don't remember the UPS benefits being so superior.If anything they were worse.A surgeries that my wife had to get were also denied.This was a long time ago so it may be different now.Every Local is different.

Here we go:

Traditional Pension plan---eliminated, and replaced with a Portable Pension Plan that pays about a fifth of the original. You accrue a small amount every year that goes into an annuity that you cash-out when you leave. You also get a monthly payout when you retire...mine is just over $30.00 per month. It sucks.

Insurance---The Vision Plan is a joke, and most providers don't even honor it. Dental has low yearly limits on coverage, so the employee ends up paying out of pocket for major work. CIGNA, our health provider, specializes in denials. Deductibles went way-up this year, but FedEx chose to disguise this by boasting that premiums only went up "slightly". Since FedEx is self-insured, both CIGNA and FedEx have a big incentive to deny coverage whenever possible. The CIGNA provider list gets smaller every year because fewer providers want to deal with their BS, so our choices aren't very wide. Chances are good that you have had to change doctors several times over the years and go with someone else, say, Dr. Ungawa, who just graduated from the University of Mobutu. A lot of the fiorst-rate doctors don't deal with CIGNA. Mental Health is similar...lots of second-rate providers not very close to where you live.

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
The sad thing is you can attribute this directly to baleing out the Central States Pension fund to the tune of 5 Billion dollars. Not only was this the result but also UPS loss thier AAA credit rating. Ironically enough though UPS and FDX now have the same credit rating. So yes untill this is paid in full the company will suffer. Now again what was the strike of 96 over?

What strike in '96? Sorry, I had to bait ya on this one. It was in '97. I was with the company for a whole 6 months when we went on strike. Good call on UPS and the 5 billion ducats/credit rating fiasco.[/QUOTE]
Your correct...sorry its been along time but I do remember excactly where I was when I found out the news. On vacation, thankfully My birthday is Aug 2.

satellitedriver

Hey Satellite Driver. Is it OK if I respond to this thread,-{ Yes } or are you going to get your panties in a knot?-{Nope}- I'll guess it's OK, and then wait for you to slap me down (as usual) for daring to cross-over into "your" forum.-{ You slap yourself, and the company you work for around enough. I need not contribute to "your" self inflicted wounds.}

Back to topic;
When I hired in, UPS was a debt free privately held company.
Well,.... times have changed that approach.
Many good points have been made in this thread, as to the errors that brought UPS into it's present micro-managed mess and the complexity of the use of leverage and debt.
I have learned useful info reading "most" of this thread.

Personally, I follow Thomas Fuller's philosophy;

"Debt is the worst poverty."

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Back to topic;
When I hired in, UPS was a debt free privately held company.
Well,.... times have changed that approach.
Many good points have been made in this thread, as to the errors that brought UPS into it's present micro-managed mess and the complexity of the use of leverage and debt.
I have learned useful info reading "most" of this thread.

Personally, I follow Thomas Fuller's philosophy;

"Debt is the worst poverty."
I slap FedEx around because they need it, but I'll agree with you here. When UPS went public it jumped-into the same can of worms that FedEx lives in. "Pandora's Box" was opened, if you will. Once a company starts responding mainly to the desires of shareholders rather than doing what makes sense, they have taken that huge initial step down the proverbial slippery slope.