Ups vs. FedEx ground "hd"

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Nah, contractor will get a stern talking to, maybe some worthless document saying the vehicle was unsecured. Doubtful anything would happen to the driver.

Depends on how big a deal the security guy and the respective terminal management want to make of it. Same as with Express, both with security and the FAA.

ManInBrown

FedEx ground driver on my area leaves the truck running constantly. I have never seen the truck not running. Asked him one day if he was worried that someone might steal it while he is inside making a delivery. His response "I hope someone does steal it"

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Until corporate security sees it.

Right. So, Boris shuts off his 25 year old ex-RPS rig and it blocks the dock (nose-in) because it won't start again. Somehow, I don't think Security really cares if they leave them running or not. If they're in my way, and it's running. I'll hop-in and drive it around the corner. It's an unprofessional practice, just like Ground overall.

Nose-in to docks, taking 2 dock spaces, cutting line-ups, racing through residential areas, and nose-in to residential driveways in neighborhoods full of kids. Typical.

Keenj

I see three different FEDEX dudes running the same stretch of the business route I do. There's been days where it's me and two Freds parked on the same block delivering to the same businesses

MondayLates

I know some 10yr express drivers that don't break 35k(before taxes)

Going on 11 years at Express. I make $18 and some change per hour and average 38 hours/week. Hoping this will be my last year here. It is too demeaning and demoralizing to have to work this hard and put up with this much pressure for so little money. This company sure has the world fooled on how they treat their frontline employees.

59 Dano

Right. So, Boris shuts off his 25 year old ex-RPS rig and it blocks the dock (nose-in) because it won't start again. Somehow, I don't think Security really cares if they leave them running or not. If they're in my way, and it's running. I'll hop-in and drive it around the corner. It's an unprofessional practice, just like Ground overall.

Nose-in to docks, taking 2 dock spaces, cutting line-ups, racing through residential areas, and nose-in to residential driveways in neighborhoods full of kids. Typical.

Well, security tends to care and I appreciate you responding for no other reason than to further ramble on about Ground.

bacha29

It is a well known fact that P&D box work takes a heavy toll on the body performing that task. The key difference between X and UPS is that by means of collective bargaining UPS is required to prepay for the destruction of that employees body through the implementation of healthcare, disability and pension plans. X on the other hand believes that such destruction occurs ONLY TO MANAGERS and has a plan in place in response to that destruction even though managers do not perform the work in question.

vantexan

Well, security tends to care and I appreciate you responding for no other reason than to further ramble on about Ground.
I used to care a long time ago because I was paid enough to care. I wanted the company to succeed because they were looking out for me. Like everyone I still get the memos with all the reminders of how much they care about us which no longer have any meaning to me. If you care about FedEx it's most likely that you are paid enough in your position that their well being matters to you. But I'm betting most couriers feel the way we do on this forum. When I see young couriers leaving as soon as possible I smile. The company doesn't deserve their youth and energy after taking away our's with so little in return.

It will be fine

No they don't. In 20 years my fleet has had about 6 security audits. A few were blatant fails with the bulkhead open and engine running. The consequence was nothing, a talking to from management. But keep pretending you know anything about Ground.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

image.jpg

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
The wall he is nosed in to is about a 3' drop.

That parking lot has a lot of traffic.

Unprofessional, and totally the norm. My post to you got deleted about why you need to get educated about the way FedEx really runs before you keep on endorsing the Ground model and consider it as a possible post-UPS career.

FDX is not an honest company, and that's said with full knowledge that no company is fully honest. FedEx takes the bar to a new low with each passing day.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I used to care a long time ago because I was paid enough to care. I wanted the company to succeed because they were looking out for me. Like everyone I still get the memos with all the reminders of how much they care about us which no longer have any meaning to me. If you care about FedEx it's most likely that you are paid enough in your position that their well being matters to you. But I'm betting most couriers feel the way we do on this forum. When I see young couriers leaving as soon as possible I smile. The company doesn't deserve their youth and energy after taking away our's with so little in return.

Same here. When I see someone young leave, I smile inside, not because it's hurting Fred but because this person has figured out they can do better for themselves elsewhere. Fred will still be wealthy and he'll find another sucker to sign-on.

That's why I stay, and a big part of the reason I post here...to educate them about why they need to leave and not make my mistake.

59 Dano

No they don't. In 20 years my fleet has had about 6 security audits. A few were blatant fails with the bulkhead open and engine running. The consequence was nothing, a talking to from management. But keep pretending you know anything about Ground.

I know the corporate security rep for this area. I work with him regularly. He doesn't screw around. Keep pretending that what happens in your little corner of the world is what happens everywhere else. Some security guys will bust balls. Others won't.

bacha29

Yes indeed Mr. Fedex. Fortune 500 companies have as you know a public relations department. Somebody needs to offer a opposing opinion based on personal experience. Before anybody gets too critical of Ground they must first recognize that Ground contractors are under heavy downward pressure on settlements and I' m sure many of them would be the first to tell you that many of the people they were ordered by Ground to hire were people they would have rather not have hired but they were either people they were told to hire or were the only people that would accept the pay offered.

bacha29

A lot more seriously than they take you because your defense of your beloved X is unfailing. Therefore outside of the most fervent Nazi nobody can be more brain washed than you.