UPS vs. Union proposals now on the table

Asskicker

A pension if you make it 30 years...a 401k only if you can afford to contribute and the Government doesn't keep screwing up our investments by letting banks get away with murder...and SS? It might be there in the future but that's quite iffy also. Think of a retirees medical bills after this kind of work for 30 years. How many years do you all have? Just curious.

stink219

You are entitled to your opinion Mr. Steward. I am tired of being played by both sides. The company is full of it and so is the Union. We are pawns in their game and I frankly am tired of being played with. This is our life and at some point you have to stand up for yourself and fight the good fight. I'm not going to be on this earth forever. I'm not going to be stomped on anymore and have people tell me what's best for me. I'm intelligent enough to know what's best for me and will pursue it as long as I can. Right now my fight is for the next generation of UPSers. I feel bad that the conditions have gotten so bad that it's tough to even consider retiring from this job in the future. Doesn't anyone out there care about your brother anymore? I thought that's what a Union was supposed to be.
You are partially correct. Why do you think guys like me, 407, 728, inthegame, TOS, bigblu and a slew of others denounce "other groups" We denounce any outside interference from other "sources". But yes, squeezing every ounce of production out of you is not exclusive to UPS. The union has never done me wrong. I work long hours yes, but my paycheck dwarfs my friends, some of which have masters degrees. I'd rather work long Monday thru Friday and make 95k. The union isn't against you brother. They due have a different set of rules to follow now that the government has butchered the middle class. That last statement goes on BOTH the shoulders of Dems and Reps so don't start a political debate anyone. So don't go it alone brother. If you don't like the union prez, vote against him. If you don't like the contract, vote no. But whoever is our figure head, stand by the union first. If not, there are plenty of other career choices where you can negotiate your wages and conditions yourself. But I guarantee that you will have less of a say in one of those jobs.

Asskicker

And one more not for those of you who think this is fear mongering and nothing should be discussed until a final proposal....you are wrong. A final proposal will have to be voted on within a limited amount of time. This...right now...is the time to discuss the issues. We need to know what everyone out there is going through and the problems that everyone is facing. Now is the time to voice your opinion and get the word out about what you are hearing and what you should say NO to. I went on the International website and am seeing absolutely NOTHING in the way of contract updates. Again this wonderful Union who is working for us is telling us NOTHING. Why are they not keeping the members informed so the issues can be discussed among the members and we can make an informed decision when the time comes. I'll tell you why...because they want to hold the power, and try to convince each local individually to vote on the proposed agreement. A UNION should be UNITED. That's what a UNION means. We should all be able to vote together even though we don't know each other or work together we all are in the same boat. Again the Union talks a big game yet doesn't include it's members in the discussions about OUR OWN CONTRACT,

Catatonic

Nine Lives
You are entitled to your opinion Mr. Steward. I am tired of being played by both sides. The company is full of it and so is the Union. We are pawns in their game and I frankly am tired of being played with. This is our life and at some point you have to stand up for yourself and fight the good fight. I'm not going to be on this earth forever. I'm not going to be stomped on anymore and have people tell me what's best for me. I'm intelligent enough to know what's best for me and will pursue it as long as I can. Right now my fight is for the next generation of UPSers. I feel bad that the conditions have gotten so bad that it's tough to even consider retiring from this job in the future. Doesn't anyone out there care about your brother anymore? I thought that's what a Union was supposed to be.

And as far as all of you immature bloggers that keep referring to me as "Ass-licker"....Who's Ass am I licking? I don't understand the reference. My whole point is that I'm not licking anyone's Ass anymore and will fight for the rights of the workers until I retire. Maybe you all should reconsider who you are voting for your Stewards and BAs. They are the Ass-lickers.

K and L are next to one another on a qwerty keyboard.

You come on here as Asskicker when it is obvious you are not knowledgeable enough to kick your own.

We are not sure if we are laughing with you or at you but either way, we are laughing.

Your use of the word "Immature" is very funny.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
And one more not for those of you who think this is fear mongering and nothing should be discussed until a final proposal....you are wrong. A final proposal will have to be voted on within a limited amount of time. This...right now...is the time to discuss the issues. We need to know what everyone out there is going through and the problems that everyone is facing. Now is the time to voice your opinion and get the word out about what you are hearing and what you should say NO to. I went on the International website and am seeing absolutely NOTHING in the way of contract updates. Again this wonderful Union who is working for us is telling us NOTHING. Why are they not keeping the members informed so the issues can be discussed among the members and we can make an informed decision when the time comes. I'll tell you why...because they want to hold the power, and try to convince each local individually to vote on the proposed agreement. A UNION should be UNITED. That's what a UNION means. We should all be able to vote together even though we don't know each other or work together we all are in the same boat. Again the Union talks a big game yet doesn't include it's members in the discussions about OUR OWN CONTRACT,

The Teamsters "represents" the workers at UPS.

It is a representative relationship.

True democracy is very ugly and nothing would never get done.

The founding fathers feared a "true democracy" more than the British.

UPSGUY72

Dude get a grip your going to have a chance to vote once a proposed contract is given to us to vote on. If you had opinion on what the contract should look like to vote on you need to raise those issues last year to your local BA......

Sit back and relax next month we should have a proposed contract to decided whether to vote yes of no until then there is not need to get you panties in a bunch because there is nothing you can do at this moment that is going to change anything....

Asskicker

I know where the k and l are located on the keyboard. I have repeatedly been told that I should change my name to Ass licker. If the name fits, I would be much more amused by the reference, but it has no relevance whatsoever and yes, "immature" is exactly what I meant. Let's discuss the issues and not call each other names. This isn't grade school.

UPSGUY72

I know where the k and l are located on the keyboard. I have repeatedly been told that I should change my name to Ass licker. If the name fits, I would be much more amused by the reference, but it has no relevance whatsoever and yes, "immature" is exactly what I meant. Let's discuss the issues and not call each other names. This isn't grade school.

You seem like an intelligent person. Why are you putting the cart before the horse.......

brown_trousers

Thats an interesting perspective on our relationship with the teamsters. I agree. This is the very reason some people here refer to "the teamsters" in our discussions here as its own group, indepedent of its members. The teamsters are NOT a democracy, and we as union members are NOT "the teamsters". We are seperate, just like there is a seperation between government and its people. The teamsters government makes decisions of their own, pursues some of their own interests, and sometimes acts without consent of its members.

Asskicker

I agree with everything you said Brown Trousers but when it comes to a contract in which they are representing it's members, we have the right to be informed about the issues on the table. Remember the members are the ones who pay their salary...and elect them into office. These are some of the issues that I think members should start considering when they are electing these people into office. It's OUR contract and we have to be the ones to work under the conditions they ultimately agree on and put on the table for us to vote on. We should be in on the negotiations from day one. There should be updates to the locals after every meeting. What's the secret anyway? Aren't the rest of you a little suspicious when we are being told nothing? Do you really trust these people that much? I've learned that trust is not a good thing for the most part. Especially when it comes to political issues and contract talks.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

U made your screen name asskicker but don't expect to be called names.

Ironic.

brown_trousers

I agree with everything you said Brown Trousers but when it comes to a contract in which they are representing it's members, we have the right to be informed about the issues on the table. Remember the members are the ones who pay their salary...and elect them into office. These are some of the issues that I think members should start considering when they are electing these people into office. It's OUR contract and we have to be the ones to work under the conditions they ultimately agree on and put on the table for us to vote on. We should be in on the negotiations from day one. There should be updates to the locals after every meeting. What's the secret anyway? Aren't the rest of you a little suspicious when we are being told nothing? Do you really trust these people that much? I've learned that trust is not a good thing for the most part. Especially when it comes to political issues and contract talks.

Dont get me wrong..Im on your side!... I think its a ridiculous concept that it we union workers are supposedly "the teamsters" yet we arent allowed information about our own organization. Its like the bank keeping your bank account info a secret from you. Who is anyone else to tell me I dont have a right to my own information!

Limper

Out For Delivery

The founding fathers didn't fear true democracy. It simply wasn't practical in 18th century America when information
traveled as a fast as a horse. How we elect a President is a remnant of this.

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder

Exactly. hall et. al. are going in there to get us the best deal just as we pay them to do. What we have to do is show solidarity when they need it to help influence negotiations, not question their motives or the process. Just a sampling of postings on Browncafe show how competing everyone's self interest is and as you say, nothing would get done were we to vote on every minute proposal. We had the opportunity to submit proposals to our Local last August, then those are debated at the Hall and submitted if viable. Whether they become language or not is to be seen later at the meetings discussing the final proposal or when they ask us for strike authorization. Ulitmately we either vote to accept the Contract or to reject it and send the negotiators back for another round. A wise man trusts his representative and doesn't subvert the process.

BMWMC

B.C. boohoo buster.
Hoofa was seen getting into a limo with Scott Davis. They plunging there tongues down each other throat as the car sped away. Prepare yourselves for another "historic agreement."

Catatonic

Nine Lives
The founding fathers didn't fear true democracy. It simply wasn't practical in 18th century America when information
traveled as a fast as a horse. How we elect a President is a remnant of this.

Go read some history books ... the founding fathers referred to the "common people" as "the mob" and thought of these people as contemptible .
They believed a direct democracy would work only in small city-states as in ancient Greece.
They never considered a direct democracy and the thought of a democratic republic was very revolutionary.
The founding fathers never thought of all the population but rather the ruling class or gentry.
You had to be a man, white (mostly) and a land owner (or pay a poll tax) to even vote for the representatives.
Regardless, a representative group bargains for you.

Too bad Paul Revere did not have a cell phone.

Limper

Out For Delivery
Go read some history books ... the founding fathers referred to the "common people" as "the mob" and thought of these people as contemptible .
They believed a direct democracy would work only in small city-states as in ancient Greece.
They never considered a direct democracy and the thought of a democratic republic was very revolutionary.
The founding fathers never thought of all the population but rather the ruling class or gentry.
You had to be a man, white (mostly) and a land owner (or pay a poll tax) to even vote for the representatives.
Regardless, a representative group bargains for you.

Too bad Paul Revere did not have a cell phone.

My copy of the constitution says " We the People of the United States......" not "We the Leaders of the United States.......". Maybe your copy says something else. And yes, we live in a democratic "Republic" , women and slaves
not necessarily excluded but represented by the vote of the head of the household.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
So will a new P/T employee have to wait 12-18 months for insurance under the union plan

or be eligible as soon as they get their 30 days in??