UPS vs. Union proposals now on the table

local705

I have not heard of one of these items that you've posted. Don't listen to the bs that get's started everytime it's contract time. If you want an answer I suggest you contact your local. I have been staying updated using my locals website. If you go to the teamster website you can see the Union proposal and Company proposal. Negotiations concluded yesterday afternoon. They are scheduled to talk again the week of April 15th and April 22nd.

realbrown1

Annoy a liberal today. Hit them with facts.
Know what? Know when a participant is eligible for benefits? Contributions must start for eligibility to begin or any plan goes belly-up.

Your eligible on the date your suppose to be eligible weather contributions started or not. :censored2:.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Is the union health care plan not as good?

I am on the Union healthcare plan----the coverage is excellent. The Union recently added co-pays ($10 doctors office visit/$100 ER visit) as members were treating the ER like it was their doctors office---it has worked as out healthcare costs have gone down dramatically. We have very low Rx co-pays ($5 and up) and excellent dental and vision benefits.

The Teamster healthcare plans are run by each Union local---the BA will shop for the best deal, keeping in mind the level of benefits for the members. I would be curious if the Union, if they do take over our healthcare, would use their bargaining power to have a single national healthcare provider rather than one for each local.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
They'll be eligible as soon as UPS makes a contribution on their behalf, exactly as a full timer is.[/QUOT

Do you think they should be eligible for a contribution after they make it or continue the same contract language?

Not trying to stir the pot just wondering what people thought about it?

I believe they should be eligible in 6 months from date of seniority.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

My daughter starts a new job 4/8 and will be eligible for full free benefits for her and husband on 4/8. I would not advocate this for the union but would agree with the 30 day suggestion.

Limper

Out For Delivery
They'll be eligible as soon as UPS makes a contribution on their behalf, exactly as a full timer is.[/QUOT

Do you think they should be eligible for a contribution after they make it or continue the same contract language?

Is the turn-over rate among PT employees high? 6 months seems fair.

804brown

Go read some history books ... the founding fathers referred to the "common people" as "the mob" and thought of these people as contemptible .
They believed a direct democracy would work only in small city-states as in ancient Greece.
They never considered a direct democracy and the thought of a democratic republic was very revolutionary.
The founding fathers never thought of all the population but rather the ruling class or gentry.
You had to be a man, white (mostly) and a land owner (or pay a poll tax) to even vote for the representatives.
Regardless, a representative group bargains for you.

Too bad Paul Revere did not have a cell phone.

You are correct. I quote from "A People's History of the United States" by Howard Zinn: "Around 1776, certain important people in the English colonies made a discovery that would prove enormously useful...They found that by creating a nation, a symbol, a legal unity called the United States, they could take over land, profits and political power from favorites of the British Empire. ...they could hold back a number of potential rebellions and create a consensus of popular support for the rule of a new privileged leadership...They created the most effective system of national control devised in modern times." In other words what occurred in the colonies was not so much a "revolution" where the masses on the bottom became the owners of society. No, it was more a rebellion by the colonists lead by the colonial elite to replace a british ruling elite with an american ruling elite.

Also look up Charles Beard's "An Economic Interpretation of the Constitution of the Unitesd States". He believed that the wealthy must in their own interest either control the government directly or at least control the laws by which govt operates. His book delves into the personal wealth and power of the men who actually wrote our constitution. Indeed, we live in a plutocracy.

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
Also look up Charles Beard's "An Economic Interpretation of the Constitution of the United States". He believed that the wealthy must in their own interest either control the government directly or at least control the laws by which govt operates. His book delves into the personal wealth and power of the men who actually wrote our constitution. Indeed, we live in a plutocracy.

I see much has not changed in 200+ years .Colonial land owners ,Carnegie,Mellon,Ford,Vanderbilt,Getty,Rockefeller,Fred S,UPS upper management LOL

I am on the Union healthcare plan----the coverage is excellent. The Union recently added co-pays ($10 doctors office visit/$100 ER visit) as members were treating the ER like it was their doctors office---it has worked as out healthcare costs have gone down dramatically. We have very low Rx co-pays ($5 and up) and excellent dental and vision benefits.

The Teamster healthcare plans are run by each Union local---the BA will shop for the best deal, keeping in mind the level of benefits for the members. I would be curious if the Union, if they do take over our healthcare, would use their bargaining power to have a single national healthcare provider rather than one for each local.

Thank you for the quick reply. I wonder how our union will be able to handle so many people coming on to their insurance at the same time though?! This whole thing is stressful!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Thank you for the quick reply. I wonder how our union will be able to handle so many people coming on to their insurance at the same time though?! This whole thing is stressful!

Obamacare forced the union to add dependents up to age 26, including my son, back on to the insurance. They mailed us a certification form, which we filled out and sent back, and they sent us a confirmation of his re-enrollment (he had been covered up to age 23 as he was a FT college student) set to terminate 6/1 (he turns 26 on 5/3).

There is no need for you to be stressed about this. Your coverage should be the same, if not better, than those you have now---there may be co-pays and deductibles that you don't have now but they are manageable. The "30/60/90" should go away once the union formally takes over our healthcare.

There would need to be a transition period for both the conversion and for the influx of all of the new insureds---I would think Jan 1st 2014 would be sufficient.

Inthegame

I agree with your six months. 12/18 is too long. My point was even if the Union takes all healthcare, UPS will still be funding coverage through negotiated contributions. With the reluctance to continue present contribution rates without "cost sharing" with covered employees, I believe it'll be a tough road to negotiate changing eligibility start dates.
My Union plan gives eligibity to full timers 30 days after seniority, but only because company contributions begin at that time.

Could anyone be kind enough to link the thread where actual facts are being discussed and displayed? Would appreciate the help. Threads like these throw off my search.