UPS vs USPS

Just have to have a strong desire to make a lot of money and a couple loose marbles lol
I like this guy, someone slightly insults UPS and instead of raging like other people on this forum who shall not be named, he comes back with a funny remark. Good man.

But in all seriousness, how much longer do I have to put up with this BS until I get my livable salary?

I ask my steward about job advancement opportunities and here's what has happened to me over the last few years.

"You're so close man, just stick in there!"
Another year goes by...
another year goes by...
another year goes by...

At this point it seems like they are just telling me this so I stick around and continue to do the hard jobs the full timers don't want to do, I mean how much longer do you guys think this will go on until I actually get that promotion?

It's not like I am asking for 100k a year, just a simple 30k, livable salary so I can pay my bills on time for once and maybe get rid of my used, about to fall apart car.

No offense to any drivers who were hired off the street but it kinda upsets me that there are people like me who have been waiting years for a promotion, then UPS just gives that promotion to people off the street.

Shifting Contents

Most Help Needed
image.jpg

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
But in all seriousness, how much longer do I have to put up with this BS until I get my livable salary?

At this point it seems like they are just telling me this so I stick around and continue to do the hard jobs the full timers don't want to do, I mean how much longer do you guys think this will go on until I actually get that promotion?

It's not like I am asking for 100k a year, just a simple 30k, livable salary so I can pay my bills on time for once and maybe get rid of my used, about to fall apart car.

You should easily make 30k if you have a second job.

UPS4Life

In all reality it depends on where you live. Some buildings I've talked to drivers they say after peak they hire the seasonals on they need. Others like mine we don't have seasonal, we have casuals that run 365 days a year.

As far as the post office goes I know somebody who worked there 15 years as a driver and left to come to brown. Says he doesn't miss that place one bit (recently).

Ask yourself will the post office be around the rest of your career? If the answer is no and your young enough now or don't have the big family with lots of bills living off your income alone what do you have to lose?

Sent using BrownCafe App

box_beeyotch

I like this guy, someone slightly insults UPS and instead of raging like other people on this forum who shall not be named, he comes back with a funny remark. Good man.

I ask my steward about job advancement opportunities and here's what has happened to me over the last few years.

Another year goes by...
another year goes by...
another year goes by...

No offense to any drivers who were hired off the street but it kinda upsets me that there are people like me who have been waiting years for a promotion, then UPS just gives that promotion to people off the street.
That should piss anyone and everyone off who works for ups. No disrespect to ones off the street, but you haven't bent over backwards for however long some of these guys to earn how much money you're being paid.

Box Ox

I'll keep re-applying every time they let me go if they let me because of 1) tuition and 2) pretty good pay for mindless work and exercise, even if my heart feels like it'll explode.

Make sure your hub/center offers tuition assistance. Not all of them do.

LKLND3380

Im a former postal worker TE non career for 3 years . I applied for the seasonal driver position but its the same as being a TE postal carrier non career. IS UPS like the same like the post office culture as far a management? The postal service was a good job but if your not career you get screwed. I want to get with ups and drive the tractor trailer s . Will a seasonal non career position lead to a permanent one ?? Any advice from tractor trailer drivers or non career starters or former postal workers that went to ups for better or worse !! Holla back need info

Seasonal Driver is like a TE or a CCA except Seasonal Driver is TEMPORARY and wont work past December 31... I forget the exact date but I think it's anyone hired between October 1 and December 31 is seasonal with no guarantee of permanent work.

UPS has in the contract with the Union they can hire 1 person off the street for a permanent driver position for every in house seniority driver.... I would have to get out the contract and read it but maybe someone here will post the EXACT wording. So... It's not impossible to be hired off the street as seasonal driver and asked to stay on permanent but it is rare.

A Seasonal Driver can lead to a permanent Part Time Preload position that can last five to ten years depending on how long it takes to move up seniority... You can bid on OTHER positions at UPS as you work your way up UNLIKE the post office where you can't cross trades - CCA to RCA to Clerk.

I think the Teamsters are a better union than NALC and better representation but that really varies on location.

If you work seasonal (hired in October) and then hired permanent, your 90 day probation starts Friday January 2. It's 90 clock in days (if I remember correctly), so come April your 90 days isn't up - more like May...

Supervisors at UPS... I worked at one building and thought, what a bunch of clueless friend@cKs... I worked at another building and thought - no way, these people are even more clueless. UPS will be up front when they screw you but the post office will be sneaky when they screw you.

UPS4Life

I heard all the casuals in jersey are getting on full time after peak. I'm just a nobody but I did hear that while making my rounds don't know how much you wanna hold your breathe on it

Sent using BrownCafe App

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Seasonal Driver is like a TE or a CCA except Seasonal Driver is TEMPORARY and wont work past December 31... I forget the exact date but I think it's anyone hired between October 1 and December 31 is seasonal with no guarantee of permanent work.

UPS has in the contract with the Union they can hire 1 person off the street for a permanent driver position for every in house seniority driver.... I would have to get out the contract and read it but maybe someone here will post the EXACT wording. So... It's not impossible to be hired off the street as seasonal driver and asked to stay on permanent but it is rare.
Let me clear up your misinformation. It's 1 off the street for every 6 drivers hired within the company.

Seasonal start dates vary by local but the seasonal period now runs until January 15.

LKLND3380

Let me clear up your misinformation. It's 1 off the street for every 6 drivers hired within the company.

Seasonal start dates vary by local but the seasonal period now runs until January 15.

Thank you... I am old school and have the Oct 1 burned into my brain. Oct 15 to January 15 is correct.