Ups wants to take away vacation from 10 years ago

Got4wd

Been with ups for almost 20 years. Went in a few weeks ago to get vacation in February. They looked on the books and it shows I'm 6.66 in the negative. So ups put in a inquirie about the negative days. So a few days pass and this morning I am informed that they gave me too many weeks in 2000. Over 10 years ago. I said that's hard to believe since when I come in for vacation you (ups) tell me how many weeks I have available. Manager also informed me that it could be up to 3 weeks in the negative but there is for sure at least one week negative. What are my options?

Last edited:
My reply to them would have been tough beans, If you worked the hours last year to earn all your vacations this year then I would do what it takes, including filing a grievance, to get them.

DorkHead

Do not let them take back the monies they say are owed out of this years weeks. If they did overpay you ten years ago, then work out a OUT OF POCKET payment plan that would repay them over the next ten years! In 2021 you should be all payed up and hopefully eligible to retire. Everyone`s all squared up.

upandcomer

Been with ups for almost 20 years. Went in a few weeks ago to get vacation in February. They looked on the books and it shows I'm 6.66 in the negative. So ups put in a inquirie about the negative days. So a few days pass and this morning I am informed that they gave me too many weeks in 2000. Over 10 years ago. I said that's hard to believe since when I come in for vacation you (ups) tell me how many weeks I have available. Manager also informed me that it could be up to 3 weeks in the negative but there is for sure at least one week negative. What are my options?

Look up your state law, most states only allow you to go back two years to collect or resolve wage disputes. From both the employer and employee side.

Print off the law, take it to your Manager, tell him they need to remove the negative hours ASAP or you will be filing Labor Law complaints with the Union, your State Labor Board, and the Federal Labor Board. You are probably not the only person this has happened to. The last thing they want is to be investigated for is labor law violations.

I am not Union, but if there is some form of grievance you can file under I would hammer them on that as well.

SWORDFISH

Im not sure what area supplement your under so you need to conact your union and ask them about it along w/ checking local laws as recomended above.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
You need to take a look at your area supplemental language.

It's usually titled "Maintenance of Standards".

The universal "Standard" is 90 days for either party to recoup inadvertant or bona fide errors.

This applies to most all labor contracts.... not just UPS.

It's usually one of the first proposals you put on the table in contract negotiations. Protects everyone.

-Bug-

Got4wd

So their 10 years is clearly probably out of any time line I'm thinking. Even after 7 years a bk falls off your record. Lol

You need to take a look at your area supplemental language.

It's usually titled "Maintenance of Standards".

The universal "Standard" is 90 days for either party to recoup inadvertant or bona fide errors.

This applies to most all labor contracts.... not just UPS.

It's usually one of the first proposals you put on the table in contract negotiations. Protects everyone.

-Bug-

rocket man

cansle your vacation plans

ups clerk

Don't think the contract allows recovering monies from ten years ago regardless of the validity of their claim.

You're right Pacman. I'm pretty sure they can only take back three months worth of pay, not 10 years. I would call your local union hall.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
In the central all payroll problems can only go back 1 year, for either party.

You are correct.... for vacations.... in the central region.

Bad JAC decision in my opinion.... Other payroll errors are still 90 days.

Unless you do something different in Kansas.

There are private cartage contracts that go from 30 to 120 days....

My advice was kind of a general "Here's where you start looking".

-Bug-

tieguy

Banned
you dont have pay stubbs from that year do you?

do you recall being paid too many weeks that year?

would you have known if you had been shorted one that year?

Harley Rider

34 yrs & done!
We had a driver in our center that had his pay messed up for years. For some reason they never paid him his bonus time and he never thought about it. We all thought this was pretty incredible that he never realized he wasn't getting paid for it. Anyway, it was true. The company would only pay his bonus for the last 6 months.

tieguy

Banned
Do you recall over-paying him ?

Not really going there. At this point I'm just curious how someone could have gotten overpaid an entire week without noticing it.
Or if I'm reading this right he was paid several weeks too many?

I imagine ups is going to use the point of discovery date as the reason they are taking the money back.

In other words the posters here are saying 90 days or year from when it happened.

ups may say they have 90 days or a year from the point of discovery.

just speculating.

the other question though that I think has to be asked with something like this is does the OP's personal belief system believe in paying back money he is not entitled to?

Last edited:

rod

Retired 22 years
If an hourly was underpaid it seemed like they would always fight for what they were owed. The few times I witnessed an overpayment "IF" the employee brought it to the attention of management they would say "Merry Christmas" -----in other words don't bug me- I'm not ambitious enough to set up in my chair and work on another problem. I saw it happen both with payroll and safe driving awards. Personally if it would have ever happened to me I would of probably just kept my mouth shut because I was always told the company was always right and didn't make mistakes.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
you dont have pay stubbs from that year do you?

do you recall being paid too many weeks that year?

would you have known if you had been shorted one that year?

Maybe it was a plateau year issue, don't know.
Either way, it seems to me to be far too long after the fact, supplemental language aside.
If the shoe was on the other foot, I'm sure the company would be crying untimely.
What strikes me as odd is how a 20 yr man can be out of vacation in late January, minus a week or not.
This issue shouldn't affect him until his final week.
Maybe it's a regional thing.
Here, in the central, we are awarded our vacations from January to January.
Is this not the case elsewhere?