UPS -" We are no longer a family, just a business"

2029guy

The EOS is the only weapon we have but you have to be very careful about how you use it. There are only 9 people in my group and only two people at my grade level you don't have to be a rocket scientist to figure out who is saying what. Don't answer anything truthfully that will help them identify the next PIP victim.

texan

Same where I work. I take it and say nothing negative.
1. I really do appreciate working for UPS and know my management tries their best.
2. When I answer the questions in beginning of the EOS it narrows it down real quick
who I am. So if I did want to share any thing neg or a suggestion, it would be easy
to figure out. Real easy

But I have been so Blessed where I work. Yes there are days where I want to choke someone.
But looking at the whole picture, I can not complain and slam my immediate management team in EOS.

QUPS

In conclusion to this discussion that I began at the end of 2010:

You can take away promotions, you can take away space. You can take away stock, you can take away job opportunities. You can take away options and you can try to take away our sanity. But there’s one thing that no matter what happens, you can’t take away…our family. Nobody can break that bond.

We all have had our differences, expressed our frustrations and may have said some things we should not have…but at the end of the day, we are always there for each other, because that is what families do…

You see, it’s a personal choice to decide whether you want to be part of the family or just part of the business. Unfortunately sometimes it takes something tragic before you realize just how important it is. The family that I have grown to know and was lucky enough to be a part of is the family that Jim Casey would want running his business today.

RIP Cathy Jones – Thank you for being an influential and unforgettable member of our family. May your spirit be a reminder to all that it is possible for a business and a family to coexist.

Last edited by a moderator:

curiousbrain

In conclusion to this discussion that I began at the end of 2010:

You can take away promotions, you can take away space. You can take away stock, you can take away job opportunities. You can take away options and you can try to take away our sanity. But there’s one thing that no matter what happens, you can’t take away…our family. Nobody can brake that bond.

We all have had our differences, expressed our frustrations and may have said some things we should not have…but at the end of the day, we are always there for each other, because that is what families do…

You see, it’s a personal choice to decide whether you want to be part of the family or just part of the business. Unfortunately sometimes it takes something tragic before you realize just how important it is. The family that I have grown to know and was lucky enough to be a part of is the family that Jim Casey would want running his business today.

RIP Cathy Jones – Thank you for being an influential and unforgettable member of our family. May your spirit be a reminder to all that it is possible for a business and a family to coexist.

Last edited by a moderator:

10veleze

I remember getting by UPS 2-3 turkeys on Thanks Giving and now we get nothing.

John P. was quoted making the statement "We are no longer a family, just a business" recently in a meeting. Ironically enough the company continues to speak of Jim Casey as if they are still following in his footsteps and his vision. Personally, I think Jim Casey would turn over in his grave if he knew how his company was operating today.

We continue to find news about layoffs and merging of groups as well as outsourcing through word of mouth rather than from a formal announcement from HR. There have also been people let go or moved to another department without even an email to inform us. The latest example would be for the data center manager position in Atlanta. There was an internal job posting yet no announcement that the current data center manager was leaving. He originally agreed to take the job and relocate down to Atlanta from New Jersey but after ten months of the company paying for his travel expenses such as flights, hotel and rental car (aprx. $50k - $60k total within ten months) he decided not to take the job after all supposedly for "personal reasons". 1. What a waste of money for UPS (those travel expenses exceed the majority of our salaries per year). 2. What a waste of time. He should have never agreed to take the position in the first place if he couldn't commit.

The Business Plan is a joke. Business plans and strategies are suppose to be an ongoing process. Obviously someone dropped the ball a long time ago because we would not be in the position we are today if people were doing what they were suppose to be doing from the beginning. What we are currently left with is lack of leadership and lack of vision. Conference calls and powerpoint presentations with generic mission statements are not going be a magic wand that will make all of our problems go away. Actions speak louder than words.

Personally, I am not concerned about raises right now. I know the economy sucks and we are lucky to have our jobs, HOWEVER, things need to change. The morale within the company has tanked like the Titanic. Negativity lingers in several departments and is not leaving anytime soon. There are some new job postings that have come out recently as I have mentioned before. I have noticed that it may seem that the people getting these jobs appear as if it is a promotion but usually it's just a lateral move with a different and more fancy title.

Career development, also a joke. A CBT doesn't prove that anyone can do anything other than take the same test over and over until it is passed and then what? It gets tucked away in a folder and forgotten about. They should be focusing on employees who are interested in making a career change within the company and help mold them to take a position in that department when one becomes available. It is slowenough right now in the majority of departments so it is the perfect time for job shadowing, etc. We could also be doing some cross training so that we can learn these skills hands on. Instead we sit and wait, wondering when the next round of layoffs will take place and when somebody in India named Peggy will be taking over our spot. We will be left with children to feed and empty bank accounts while we help increase the unemployment rate. Soon enough we will be waiting for UPS to support OUR unemployed asses in the United Way program...

balland chain

John P. was quoted making the statement "We are no longer a family, just a business" recently in a meeting. Ironically enough the company continues to speak of Jim Casey as if they are still following in his footsteps and his vision. Personally, I think Jim Casey would turn over in his grave if he knew how his company was operating today.

We continue to find news about layoffs and merging of groups as well as outsourcing through word of mouth rather than from a formal announcement from HR. There have also been people let go or moved to another department without even an email to inform us. The latest example would be for the data center manager position in Atlanta. There was an internal job posting yet no announcement that the current data center manager was leaving. He originally agreed to take the job and relocate down to Atlanta from New Jersey but after ten months of the company paying for his travel expenses such as flights, hotel and rental car (aprx. $50k - $60k total within ten months) he decided not to take the job after all supposedly for "personal reasons". 1. What a waste of money for UPS (those travel expenses exceed the majority of our salaries per year). 2. What a waste of time. He should have never agreed to take the position in the first place if he couldn't commit.

The Business Plan is a joke. Business plans and strategies are suppose to be an ongoing process. Obviously someone dropped the ball a long time ago because we would not be in the position we are today if people were doing what they were suppose to be doing from the beginning. What we are currently left with is lack of leadership and lack of vision. Conference calls and powerpoint presentations with generic mission statements are not going be a magic wand that will make all of our problems go away. Actions speak louder than words.

Personally, I am not concerned about raises right now. I know the economy sucks and we are lucky to have our jobs, HOWEVER, things need to change. The morale within the company has tanked like the Titanic. Negativity lingers in several departments and is not leaving anytime soon. There are some new job postings that have come out recently as I have mentioned before. I have noticed that it may seem that the people getting these jobs appear as if it is a promotion but usually it's just a lateral move with a different and more fancy title.

Career development, also a joke. A CBT doesn't prove that anyone can do anything other than take the same test over and over until it is passed and then what? It gets tucked away in a folder and forgotten about. They should be focusing on employees who are interested in making a career change within the company and help mold them to take a position in that department when one becomes available. It is slowenough right now in the majority of departments so it is the perfect time for job shadowing, etc. We could also be doing some cross training so that we can learn these skills hands on. Instead we sit and wait, wondering when the next round of layoffs will take place and when somebody in India named Peggy will be taking over our spot. We will be left with children to feed and empty bank accounts while we help increase the unemployment rate. Soon enough we will be waiting for UPS to support OUR unemployed asses in the United Way program...

UPS is great as wasting money on MGMT... But us hourlies get even a little OT, then they are all over our ass'. UCKING Bastards

Alsobeenthere

Well, Hoaxter, the Balland Chain is correct in that management spends an indecent amount of money taking each other to dinner and catering meetings and then getting all up in arms about overtime. If you only KNEW the dollars spent on off site meetings and retirement parties you would just never recover. While the average bear gets a sheet cake and a handshake, executives get cocktail parties and catered dinners that would put the IRS to shame. It is time for a little roll back on these expenditures for millionaires on their way out.

grinandbearit

Well, Hoaxter, the Balland Chain is correct in that management spends an indecent amount of money taking each other to dinner and catering meetings and then getting all up in arms about overtime. If you only KNEW the dollars spent on off site meetings and retirement parties you would just never recover. While the average bear gets a sheet cake and a handshake, executives get cocktail parties and catered dinners that would put the IRS to shame. It is time for a little roll back on these expenditures for millionaires on their way out.

I dont know where yo to your getting this information, as a 24 year mangement person operations and corporate, their is no more travel, no more out for drinks or dinner. Their are retirements and an example would be a 25 to 35 year manager might get 25 to 40 people for a 4 hour cocktail and cake party, maybe it might cost $1000.......their isnt even anymore gifts at the 20 year , you can get a $150 watch when you hit 25

Catatonic

Nine Lives

This doesn't apply to local District management - even the District Manager.
BallAndChain is a disgrunt​led, bitter driver in the south with no basis for making this assertion other than just bitching.
I don't think I would want to be around this person much ... life's too short.

I dont know where yo to your getting this information, as a 24 year mangement person operations and corporate, their is no more travel, no more out for drinks or dinner. Their are retirements and an example would be a 25 to 35 year manager might get 25 to 40 people for a 4 hour cocktail and cake party, maybe it might cost $1000.......their isnt even anymore gifts at the 20 year , you can get a $150 watch when you hit 25

ABT is in Corporate so he is probably talking about the Level 20's and above (the new Partners) that are retiring. (Probably Level 22 and above)
I think he/she is exaggerating a bit but Level 22 and above can still pick up tabs on occasion. (Nothing like they use to)
It probably varies from who reports to who on the Management Committee too.
Sales will always spend the most and Accounting will spend the least.

40andOut

Waa waa waa... only $1000 for your party, what an outrage! A 25 to 35 year retiring driver does not even get a sheet cake anymore. Oh, I guess the "family" does not include hourlies. ONE UPS.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Waa waa waa... only $1000 for your party, what an outrage! A 25 to 35 year retiring driver does not even get a sheet cake anymore. Oh, I guess the "family" does not include hourlies. ONE UPS.

Come into management and enjoy the spoils. :wink2:

But think twice, each year every management person pays $2000 - $5000 out of pocket for healthcare and that's just the beginning of out-of-pocket expenses.

40andOut

Hoaxster,

I know the spoils have long since spoiled. The managers I started with 30+ years ago reaped the benifits of UPS's golden years (millions in stock). i was offered a management position 30 years ago. I don't regret not taking it in the least. I was just slightly surprised that someone would complain about being treated better than 90% of our workforce is treated.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Hoaxster,

I know the spoils have long since spoiled. The managers I started with 30+ years ago reaped the benefits of UPS's golden years (millions in stock). i was offered a management position 30 years ago. I don't regret not taking it in the least. I was just slightly surprised that someone would complain about being treated better than 90% of our workforce is treated.

Perhaps they are complaining because they are treated like the other 90% of the workforce.