UPS Weapons Policy?

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
9-11 changed many ideas as to what a weapon actually is.

To me, a pocket knife is a tool. A gun is a weapon. The dividing line would be something that could be used as an offensive weapon, vs defensive.

A diad is a weapon if that is the way you wish to use it.

Then again, a knife with a two inch blade would be looked at differently than one with a 6 inch or longer one.

I do agree with 9.5, asking HR is a bad move on your part, as that will make them wonder why.........

I remember something my mother used to say when she did remodeling at the house while my dad was gone for a week. Sometimes is better to ask for forgiveness than permission?

In a normal world, this would be a nonsensical thread. But in todays world, along with the feel goodie, litigious stupidity types, who knows.

9.5, I always used the 4 D cell light. More power, better light, nice weight balance. I did have one that was four C cell, with a 12 inch spacer that made the over all length just a hair over two feet. But cant find bulbs for it anymore. That was the best anti dog protection I ever had. Except maybe the bed rail tension wire.......

d

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
i ask because i've had a few totally insane drivers harass me for driving the speed limit after i leave my facility, including one that tried to force my vehicle to stop so he could presumably "teach me a lesson" or something, and if i can't have a firearm on company policy, it would be nice to have SOMETHING to defend myself with.

Why in the world is a weapon needed in the first place for this situation? Where I am, the Safety Dept puts Supervisors outside our gate to catch us speeding, talking on cellphones or looking at our DIADs while driving, seatbelts, and bulkhead door issues. If you have fellow drivers threatning you for driving the speed limit, there are other ways to deal with this problem instead of thinking you need to stab somebody to defend yourself. If we have drivers wanting to assault other drivers just over leaving the building, they need to be fired. If I had somebody hit me while I was on the job, I would just call the police and file charges. UPS has a zero tolerance policy concerning violence for a reason.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Scratch, I was confused by his use of "totally insane drivers". I wasn't sure if he meant fellow UPS drivers or simply other idiots on the road. If he meant UPS drivers than your advice is solid. If he meant other idiots than I still advise pull over and let them pass.

In neither case would I advocate the use of a weapon.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Upstate, good point. I didn't catch that either. I have had the other drivers on the road lay into their horn at me a few times, but nobody has ever threatened violence. I assumed from his wording he was referring to his fellow Package Drivers, I could be wrong.

D

Dis-organized Labor

[video=youtube;PKmUsVeKp1o]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKmUsVeKp1o[/video]

Learn some Rex Kwon Do and BECOME a weapon!

Wait, can you come to work then??

Last edited by a moderator:

feederdriver06

former monkey slave
I carry a lockblade on my belt as do many of the feeder drivers I work with. 3 inch blade - carried as a tool more than as a weapon. I personally don't consider it a formidable weapon. Either my 4D cell maglite or one of the two pin pullers in my tractor would be what I would use to crack someone with. Maglite also make a 6D cell flashlight that is like a mini baseball bat. Working at night doing feeder work I don't deal with the public and heavy traffic making it less likely for altercations.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I carry a lockblade on my belt as do many of the feeder drivers I work with. 3 inch blade - carried as a tool more than as a weapon. I personally don't consider it a formidable weapon. Either my 4D cell maglite or one of the two pin pullers in my tractor would be what I would use to crack someone with. Maglite also make a 6D cell flashlight that is like a mini baseball bat. Working at night doing feeder work I don't deal with the public and heavy traffic making it less likely for altercations.
A 'pin puller' could be a very good choice. Lightweight but with a hook on one end and a handle on the other it could do some serious damage. Especially if the hook has a point on it. :happy2:

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
Here's the flashlight I prefer :
YouTube- Texasflashlight

Texas, if i could legally leave a FA SBR in my car as a first line of defense, i wouldn't hesitate..

Why in the world is a weapon needed in the first place for this situation? Where I am, the Safety Dept puts Supervisors outside our gate to catch us speeding, talking on cellphones or looking at our DIADs while driving, seatbelts, and bulkhead door issues. If you have fellow drivers threatning you for driving the speed limit, there are other ways to deal with this problem instead of thinking you need to stab somebody to defend yourself. If we have drivers wanting to assault other drivers just over leaving the building, they need to be fired. If I had somebody hit me while I was on the job, I would just call the police and file charges. UPS has a zero tolerance policy concerning violence for a reason.

sorry i wasn't more clear, but i was talking about non-UPS vehicles. also, i'm not a driver, i'm just a preloader.

Scratch, I was confused by his use of "totally insane drivers". I wasn't sure if he meant fellow UPS drivers or simply other idiots on the road. If he meant UPS drivers than your advice is solid. If he meant other idiots than I still advise pull over and let them pass.

In neither case would I advocate the use of a weapon.

the last time i had a driver try to run me off the road, i took the pull over and try and let them pass approach, and nearly had my vehicle's escape route blocked by the man.
the thing i think some of you may be missing, perhaps because you haven't encountered such a person, is that some people don't have a logical reason for trying to assault another motorist, sometimes they have just had a ****ty day and see my car, and maybe just don't like the way i look, and maybe try to run me off the road, or even kill me.
that sounds a little extreme, but so are those kinds of people, and when push comes to shove, i intend to live, by any means necessary.

if you're the kind of person that thinks that trouble can only come to those who cause it, you must have had the most fortunate and peaceful life i've heard of.

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
Where do you live? Just curious so I can add it to my "Places I Don't Want to Move To" list.:happy2:

Northern Virginia. the funny thing is, the most aggressive guy i encountered was around 50 years old, in a suit and tie, and driving a brand new Lexus SUV.

for driving the speed limit, and moving out of his way when he tailgated me, he tried to run me off the road, while screaming and shouting out the window at me, and then stopped his vehicle directly in front of mine while exiting, presumably to assault me.

i almost had to run him over to escape.

you can't really place a stereotype on locations sometimes..
:knockedout:

TheDick

Dang, N Virginia's rough. Now i know ur in a personal vehicle i'd carry a handgun if its legal to CCW in ur state. Pepper spray something. U just never know when somebodies gonna come unhinged, but u should be prepared. And the maglight!

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
Dang, N Virginia's rough. Now i know ur in a personal vehicle i'd carry a handgun if its legal to CCW in ur state. Pepper spray something. U just never know when somebodies gonna come unhinged, but u should be prepared. And the maglight!

well see that's the thing, it's legal for me to carry a handgun on my person and in my vehicle, but if i leave it in the car in the parking lot, that's a violation of UPS policy

thus this thread..