UPS wont promote cover drivers

UpsguyDGAF

Ive been coverdriving for 5+ years, theres others at my center as well. It seems the companys new approach is to use up to 5 of us every day, because they can pay us less and work us more(no 9.5 grievances for part timers-sux). Ive been with the company 10 years, and ill never get my deserved retirement being part time forever. The Union doesent seem to help. What forces UPS to make us FT, and what can I do at this point? thanks fellow upsers:)

Ive been coverdriving for 5+ years, theres others at my center as well. It seems the companys new approach is to use up to 5 of us every day, because they can pay us less and work us more(no 9.5 grievances for part timers-sux). Ive been with the company 10 years, and ill never get my deserved retirement being part time forever. The Union doesent seem to help. What forces UPS to make us FT, and what can I do at this point? thanks fellow upsers:)
If nobody signed up for part time cover driver then they would have to hire for full time.

UPSGUY72

The new contract is coming up call your BA and tell them to do away with PT cover driver potion of the supplement. In MY area if your a cover driver your a FT driver just with no assigned route. The only way your going to stop the abuse is to change your supplement so that it protects you.

Stop talking and start doing.

UpsguyDGAF

I will talk to my Union. It used to be you would cover drive for a bit, then promoted but now its like a regular position being Ft as a PT. Any other centers have this problem?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I will talk to my Union. It used to be you would cover drive for a bit, then promoted but now its like a regular position being Ft as a PT. Any other centers have this problem?

Our center has a similar situation (I won't call it a problem as I don't see it as being one) but it has nothing to do with the company and everything to do with the recession. There simply is not enough volume to justify adding a permanent area for each of our casuals (we have 5 or 6 of them). These guys work just about every day but are not dispatched in the way that you describe. To be honest, a few of them don't like working every day, so being a casual works well for them.

I am on vacation the week of Thanksgiving and the 3 casuals that know my area are all drawing straws to see who is forced to run it.

Our center has a similar situation (I won't call it a problem as I don't see it as being one) but it has nothing to do with the company and everything to do with the recession. There simply is not enough volume to justify adding a permanent area for each of our casuals (we have 5 or 6 of them). These guys work just about every day but are not dispatched in the way that you describe. To be honest, a few of them don't like working every day, so being a casual works well for them.

I am on vacation the week of Thanksgiving and the 3 casuals that know my area are all drawing straws to see who is forced to run it.
Why are they looking for a route where the can get some hours??

UPSGUY72

They get their hours by covering vacations, days off, when they add extra routes and by running Saturday air. They are not guaranteed to work every day.

We have 2 of them this year they are called casuals they work from June 1 to the 2nd week in Sept cover vacations then again from Oct 1 till Dec 24 to help with peak if needed. They only work M-friend and they aren't guaranteed any hours and never gain any seniority.

UpsguyDGAF

We work 50-60 hours a week. What do you mean they gain no seniority? Do you mean ft seniority?. When were scheduled were guaraunteed 40 and have the option to come in Saturdays up to 60 hours

UPSGUY72

We work 50-60 hours a week. What do you mean they gain no seniority? Do you mean ft seniority?. When were scheduled were guaraunteed 40 and have the option to come in Saturdays up to 60 hours

We do not have Pt cover driver. We only have FT Cover driver that are FT drivers just with no assigned route. When we have are bid there are cover driver bid jobs that any FT driver can bid on if they want to be a cover driver.

They hire casual drivers off street to help cover vacation from June 1 till the 2nd week in Sept. Then again from Oct 1st till Dec 24 as needed. They are causal/ Temp they will never gain seniority no matter how many years they keep coming back to work for UPS they are not getting hired for a permanent position just a temp. They aren't guaranteed any hours. That is the job that they applied and they no that when they are hired.

Any Sat Air position that needs to be filled because of vacations or volume is done by seniority the FT driver with the most has first pick.

Cementups

Box Monkey
WE have about 15 PT cover drivers in our center. The only way they would become FT is if there is a FT bid open to sign. Usually the first two moves are filled by already FT drivers looking to change routes then the 3rd move is assigned, usually to a PT cover making them FT. There are times though that the 3rd move would get assigned to the highest seniority FT driver without an assigned route. I was a PT cover for about 7 years before taking a FT cover bid in another center (same building).

And as far as making less at 5 years of driving, how is that possible except for the amount of hours you work? After your progression period, all (non-air) drivers make the same amount per hour.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
WE have about 15 PT cover drivers in our center. The only way they would become FT is if there is a FT bid open to sign. Usually the first two moves are filled by already FT drivers looking to change routes then the 3rd move is assigned, usually to a PT cover making them FT. There are times though that the 3rd move would get assigned to the highest seniority FT driver without an assigned route. I was a PT cover for about 7 years before taking a FT cover bid in another center (same building).
K
And as far as making less at 5 years of driving, how is that possible except for the amount of hours you work? After your progression period, all (non-air) drivers make the same amount per hour.

how many drivers do you have that are full time cut drivers???? I have never heard of cover drivers except if we have to use an air driver who works in the hub for an emergency and they usually go out with a sup....this is out west.

menotyou

bella amicizia
We have about 30 or so FT drivers. We just got 2 FT cover driver bids. Never seen that before in our center. 5-6 PT cover drivers. 3 PT air drivers. I wod say 3 of the PT cover drivers work every day. The other ones try and avoid Preload by working 2 days a week or more driving. The on-car and the drivers help out. It hard to find someone who doesn't need a day off.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
I'd say get use to being a cover atleast another 5 years. Maybe sooner if there are retiring drivers ahead. Took me over 10 years to get seniority. The only good thing about it is with hours worked. Goes to pension. The bad- 23 years- 3 weeks vacation. 1casual-to 7 pt hire. Kids in grade school go to pt will be hired before casual. I'm number 9 on seniority list. Should be number 5. the 4 pt ahead of me. I have been with UPS 2yrs or more.

Cementups

Box Monkey
how many drivers do you have that are full time cut drivers???? I have never heard of cover drivers except if we have to use an air driver who works in the hub for an emergency and they usually go out with a sup....this is out west.

I want to say that we have 50-55 FT drivers, two of those are cover and then the 15 PT cover drivers.

UPSGUY72

I think the areas that have PT cover need to talk to there BA and try to change there next supplement so there is only have FT cover drivers ( which are Ft driver that just don't have a permanent bid route). Having language for PT cover drivers just creates another way for management to abuse some drivers.

If your a permanent UPS package car driver air or regular you should be guaranteed 8 hrs a day. You should'tn have to be wondering if your driving today or not and how you are going to pay your bills because you don't get 40 hours a week.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
So do pt cover drivers work in the hub when they aren't driving....so they could be working 50 hours one week covering a drivers vacation,then only work 2 days the next....is this right?? We probably have 50+ full time cut drivers in my building and that system send to work just fine....pt cover drivers sound like a loophole

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We don't have PT cover drivers in my center--we have casuals. Casuals are not guaranteed their 8 hours and must call in each day unless they are told the night before that they will be working.

UpsguyDGAF

Coldworld- Yes, we are told each prior week if we are cover driving next week or not. Im the top senority cover driver, so I usually always drive but at the contractual 70% of FT driver rate. YES IT IS A LOOPHOLE, pay us less,use us when you like,pick vacation with the ft drivers(Im bottom of the barrell always), less $$ for pension, get the leftover routes no one wants,--------- see how fun this gets. Then when they dont schedule you the prior week, you pray every morning your phone will ring and they will ask you to come in and you make top driver rate. Lots of uncertainty...

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Coldworld- Yes, we are told each prior week if we are cover driving next week or not. Im the top senority cover driver, so I usually always drive but at the contractual 70% of FT driver rate. YES IT IS A LOOPHOLE, pay us less,use us when you like,pick vacation with the ft drivers(Im bottom of the barrell always), less $$ for pension, get the leftover routes no one wants,--------- see how fun this gets. Then when they dont schedule you the prior week, you pray every morning your phone will ring and they will ask you to come in and you make top driver rate. Lots of uncertainty...

Yes that sounds like total bs..I would be pissed too ....upstate talks about having a 2 tier pay system next contract...well it sounds like its already happening