UPS Work Ethic

Wing Man

My wife gave me sage advice long ago when I would come home and b.tch and moan about my day..."Just shut up and do your job..." I'm motivated by doing my work, and going home...which usually works to the company's advantage. A favorite scene from a favorite movie..."Twelve O'Clock High", has the group commander telling his men to ..."...forget about going home...then it won't be so rough.....". I used to freak out about my work load.."geez...I'm never gonna get this done"...now, as I said, I let it flow...I get home when I get home.....

frateshkr

My wife is also an RN. (were we like separated at birth). Unfortunately your pay is not determined by the importance of your skill (please see teachers, firemen, policemen....) but how much money it makes your "boss" (pro atheltes, actors, singers....).

If that's the case then we should be in a strong position considering the company's latest figures on retained earnings. good thing that coo kuehn doesn't want to see ups become a cash cow again. more money for the hourly i hope after they finish paying the shareholders from before the ipo.

klein

Für Meno :)
You see, klein. This is something of a constant with you. You leave out details and in this case , a very very significant one.
I think it has been established that you were not fired for the reason above. Oh yes that reason you stated above is part of the scenario of the real reason but come on, enough with the revisionist history.

They know my story. I had a beer (1 beer), after work. My lunchbreak.
Who would noramlly care. I'm not serving a customer, nor I'm driving.
Just want my break, that I would get dedutcted for.

But, it's ok. Thier loss, not mine.
As you can see, I'm enjoying life.
Only because I set money away, every paycheck.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
In another thread Brown Eyed Girl was vilifed for working according to her belief system.
not at all to do with her work ethic. it had everything to do with her management team telling her what to do, and then not paying her for what they agreed to. has nothing to do with her work ethic. but then again, her story kept changin........

i started pickin tomatos for heinz when i was 6. hot, nasty work, for which i was paid about 3 bucks a day. 12+ hour days as well, 6 days a week.

work ethic is what drives some to excel, others just to watch life pass by. and as has been stated, the teamsters value system is to see that both are rewarded the same. but that also can be said for non union businesses.

that is why owning your own business is at times rewarding. only down side is that the gooberment acts like a set of iron bars to keep the little man little, with all their restrictions and laws to conform to. many of which are down right assinine........

klein, you still dont get it, do you. while your lunch is actually your time, you were not off the clock for the day, just your lunch. and until you are totally punched out for the day, you dont drink. period. and yes, we all know that no one has ever run your route as good as you, nor will there ever be another human that will ever hold a light to your production prowess. it was a great loss to ups canada.

best
d

705red

Browncafe Steward
I had a work ethic when I came to UPS at the age of 20. I had bounced around from 1 meaningless job to another. I was always moving at the jobs, I was told to slow down a little and working fast creates mistakes. Maybe thats why I enjoyed UPS, moving fast was expected from people. UPS helped me perfect my work ethic and to this day I hate when people are dragging ass.

Anyone remember going in and filing out a job application for work while you worked at UPS part time? I do, and as soon as they saw that you work at UPS you got an interview immediately. I was hired by an AC Delco distributor and W.W. Grainger when I applied. If it was a physical job and there where 50 applicants, the one with UPS on it would most likely get hired.People wanted the UPS work ethic at their place of business. I do not see that same work ethic as a whole at UPS now.

Is it because of the people we are hiring now? Or could it be that people are frustrated with the inner workings and politics at UPS? I cant answer that question, but if we are to succeed down the road, someone should have to answer it.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
red

i think the lack of work ethic in general is due to the lack of responsibility and accountability to the youth that are hitting working age.

i remember not too long ago, i had several posters tell me they did not understand my frustration with a guy in his 20's that blamed everything going wrong in his life on his mother. couldnt find his ss#? it was his mothers fault. no birth certificate? its moms fault she did not have a copy. it got so bad, i asked him if he needed mommy to come wipe his bottom for him as well.

but it seems that this is not unusual with this new generation of americans that is hitting the working age. they have seen very people become billionaires creating simple things, they see it as easy money, money to be had without having to work for it. and the interest of just making enough money to party, with no thought for the future.

just glad not everyone fits that mold though.

d

over9five

Staff member
just glad not everyone fits that mold though.

d

Glad you ended with that. I work at the hub my whole shift lately, and I can tell you we have some hard working kids there. I can think of several who you can just tell have a solid work ethic. They're the ones who don't need a supervisor standing over them the whole time. Everyone works hard, but they're the ones who go above and beyond. I can think of several I see every night, and it makes me smile.

Good work ethic is not dead!

Catatonic

Nine Lives
They know my story. I had a beer (1 beer), after work. My lunchbreak.
Who would noramlly care. I'm not serving a customer, nor I'm driving.
Just want my break, that I would get dedutcted for.

But, it's ok. Thier loss, not mine.
As you can see, I'm enjoying life.
Only because I set money away, every paycheck.

A person that can not enjoy leisure can not enjoy life.
I'd say Klein enjoys life.

satellitedriver

A person that can not enjoy leisure can not enjoy life.
I'd say Klein enjoys life.
I enjoy life, even while when I work.
My leisure time is brief-( well. that is an overstatement, since, I get 6 weeks paid vacation each year), and I relish every second.
I truly hope that klein's plan for life work out for him, but I would not want to walk a mile in his moccasins.

DS

Fenderbender
This thread is a hoot.First off I think ethics are part of each indiviuals moral fibre.It does not matter if you work at ups or mcdonalds,you either have it or you don't.
Up here in Canada,we just got our last raise for this contract and we top out at around $24.80 cdn.Thats a far cry from $30 US.The teamsters here pretend to stand up for us but in truth,they suck at it. The only blue collar workers here that make that kind of money are autoworkers and bus drivers.I like klein.He would still be a upser had he not made that one wrong decision.But I have to admit,he does go on and on and probobly just pisses you all off with his pro Canada spiel.
Here's the dictionary meaning of ethics
a. A set of principles of right conduct.
b. A theory or a system of moral values
In China we would be told what to do
We are lucky we have a choice and a voice.

Signature Only

Blue in Brown
Work ethic has to do with waking up every morning and going to work or wanting to go to work. Than going to work and doing the best job you know how by rules you have to work with. If you want to see people with know work ethic check out 90% of the people on welfare or the people that can't keep a job becasue they take every other day off.
AMEN BROTHER! Folks that's what life is about. Now I've been unemployed at times and I've pulled my share of pay but that has nothing to do with work. Work is dragging yourself out of bed every morning, getting dressed and going out to see what the hell is next. Curiosity gets it done better than anything else.

P

pickup

I feel like that character Ben Affleck played in Good Will Hunting. He tells Will that the best part of the day is when he walks up to Will's door in morning to pick him up for work. He hopes that Will will finally not be at home: just left , took off without saying goodbye. I hope one day Klein is no longer seen here very frequently, not because I don't like him, but because I hope he gets some routine back in his life and that he has something other to do than going on line and putz around here.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
... but because I hope he gets some routine back in his life and that he has something other to do than going on line and putz around here.
Serious question - What will you do when you retire?
Do you have a variety of interests in your life now that will provide that structure once you move into the retirement phase of your life?

... but I would not want to walk a mile in his moccasins.
It might be an enjoyable leisurely walk ... you just never know.

P

pickup

Do you have a variety of interests in your life now that will provide that structure once you move into the retirement phase of your life?

'll cross that bridge when I get to it. But if I get to that bridge and do cross it , if nothing else is going on in my life, public nuisance is always a job I would do for free.

Catatonic

Nine Lives

'll cross that bridge when I get to it. But if I get to that bridge and do cross it , if nothing else is going on in my life, public nuisance is always a job I would do for free.

I'm at the bridge now and that is one of the questions/dilemmas I face as I contemplate crossing that bridge.
The Western work ethic has a tendency, in some people, to make a person's work be what defines them as a person. Not a good thing in general and certainly not when one is no longer working.

I'm at the bridge now and that is one of the questions/dilemmas I face as I contemplate crossing that bridge.
The Western work ethic has a tendency, in some people, to make a person's work be what defines them as a person. Not a good thing in general and certainly not when one is no longer working.
You are right on this Hoax,this is the way many people decide who others are, and in some cases it's accurate. I have never defined myself by the job I had. Yes I was a UPSer and in lesser terms a Teamster, however neither was the definition of who I was/am. I never ate, slept or drank either one's Kool aide.
I have my own idea's of who I am.

As far as putzing around here everyday after retirement, it may not be for everyone, but I enjoy it more now that when I was working. I have lots of things I would like to do now that I have time, but most of them require more physical strength that I currently have, so for now I am content with being a house husband.

Last edited: