UPS workers outraged over small noose hanging inside driver's truck

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
UPS workers outraged over small noose hanging inside driver's truck, but union blocks punishment - New York Daily News

A UPS driver's questionable choice for a rear-view mirror ornament on his delivery truck has stirred up a bitter feud at a Queens dispatch center.

A group of employees at the Maspeth hub were outraged when they learned that a driver was making the rounds with a small noose fixed to his mirror. They complained to managers, who tried to discipline the driver.

That's when the union stepped in - a move that some workers said stoked already simmering racial tensions there.

While the noose was uncalled for and found offensive,why are ALL the white drivers being looked at differently? Isn`t that in itself racism and or hate?

over9five

Staff member
They must need more work in Maspeth. Can't believe this made the news, must have been a real slow news day.

I didn't know a noose was a symbol of hate either....

illiana

UPS workers outraged over small noose hanging inside driver's truck, but union blocks punishment - New York Daily News
A UPS driver's questionable choice for a rear-view mirror ornament on his delivery truck has stirred up a bitter feud at a Queens dispatch center.

A group of employees at the Maspeth hub were outraged when they learned that a driver was making the rounds with a small noose fixed to his mirror. They complained to managers, who tried to discipline the driver.

That's when the union stepped in - a move that some workers said stoked already simmering racial tensions there.

When the union stepped in how did they approach the drivers in which that were offended. The driver in which caused all this tension, was he supported by the union?

JimJimmyJames

Big Time Feeder Driver
People are way too sensitive these days.

I wouldn't care if a fellow driver had a plaque in his truck that said "Kill Whitey".

Who cares... well, unless he really tries to kill me :surprised:!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

None of the replies thus far, including mine, are from a black person. I would think that their perspective on this would be far different and would give us some insight in to the reason for the tension in that center.

feederdriver06

former monkey slave
How the friend is a noose racist?:angry: I'm glad the union stepped in. I'm so God D tired of people using the word RACIST . :angry: Man up and get a friend-ing life!!!!

As far as I'm concerned there are many people that should hang from the end of a rope. ***********************************************
Certain things really burn my fuse and this is one of them.

Last edited:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Perhaps his family business is rope making, and that was one of their products?

OK--I'll give you that one.:happy2:

I just found this from Wikipedia:

In the US, a noose is sometimes left as a message in order to intimidate people. Its meaning is derived from its use in segregation era lynchings.

Nooses are illegal in some US states, such as New York.

If my geography serves me, Maspeth is in New York.

over9five

Staff member
Do you guys think there would have been outrage if a cross was hanging from his mirror?

That might mean he liked to see people crucified! Oh my!

Just sayin....

over9five

Staff member
Or what if it was a Star of David??? Those look like Ninja throwing stars to me. Really Stars of David should not be allowed because they could be used as weapons!!

over9five

Staff member

In the US, a noose is sometimes left as a message in order to intimidate people. Its meaning is derived from its use in segregation era lynchings.[1][2][3][4]

Nooses are illegal in some US states, such as New York[citation needed].

But it wasn't an actual noose. It was an itty bitty one on a keychain. I haven't seen it, but I doubt you could fit it around a neck.

feederdriver06

former monkey slave

In the US, a noose is sometimes left as a message in order to intimidate people. Its meaning is derived from its use in segregation era lynchings.[1][2][3][4]

Nooses are illegal in some US states, such as New York[citation needed].

If the noose was left on a black families doorstep then there could be a case but in this case the only problem should be a possible ordinance violation not any type of hate crime-if you want to call it that. But I think it would be ridiculous to say a noose is an overall symbol of any type of racism. Driver

Last edited:

bluehdmc

Maybe I'm nieve but I personally think a noose as macabre, not racist. Maybe if it was left on someone's locker or another drivers truck, but in the driver's own truck?????

illiana

If the noose was left on a black families doorstep then there could be a case but in this case the only problem should be a possible ordinance violation not any type of hate crime-if you want to call it that. But I think it would be ridiculous to say a noose is an overall symbol of any type of racism. Driver
I would suggest that if you know any black families or friends of any black people that you work with ask them. If a noose is left at a black families doorstep thats one case but utilized within another fashion then ordinance violation.
I really don't think you thought about your own response before you posted it. Maybe if things like this took place on a regular basis with your family or our people you might think otherwise.

D

Dis-organized Labor

I know of a manager that made an employee remove some rubber testicles that he had hanging from his pick up truck.
The Union " stepped in" and the manager won out immediately because some Union members said they were offended.
Basic common sense. I don't want my daughters seeing those swingers and if someone feels offended by a noose.....REMOVE IT!
Why do it in the first place??
What are you saying? Or are you just looking for attention??? If someone is "sensitive", that is also their right.