UPS workers outraged over small noose hanging inside driver's truck

illiana

Maybe I'm nieve but I personally think a noose as macabre, not racist. Maybe if it was left on someone's locker or another drivers truck, but in the driver's own truck?????
Maybe the world is a better place because you don't think for the rest of us.

illiana

I know of a manager that made an employee remove some rubber testicles that he had hanging from his pick up truck.
The Union " stepped in" and the manager won out immediately because some Union members said they were offended.
Basic common sense. I don't want my daughters seeing those swingers and if someone feels offended by a noose.....REMOVE IT!
Why do it in the first place??
What are you saying? Or are you just looking for attention??? If someone is "sensitive", that is also their right.
Very we'll put!

bbsam

Staff member
I'm surprised it can be an issue for the union. If UPS deems the noose unacceptable, then it goes. Suppose a driver wanted to hang "truck balls" from his UPS truck. Think the company's gonna go for it?

Which brings the question to mind: I have a pick-up truck. If someone else can hang truck balls from his trailer hitch, can I have a big black :censored2: sticking out of the receiver?

bluehdmc

Maybe the world is a better place because you don't think for the rest of us.

I only try to think FOR myself. I seem to offend less people that way.
The world would probably be a much better place if others didn't try to think for the rest of us.

upssup

If I saw this "noose" hanging in one of my cars. I would have pulled it out immediately and given it to the driver and asked him not to ever hang that again. At the very least it is in bad taste, and yes, it is my job to say so.

dillweed

Uncool, a noose. In fact, nothing should be in the pkg car except what's necessary to do the job and what the driver needs.

illiana

I'm surprised it can be an issue for the union. If UPS deems the noose unacceptable, then it goes. Suppose a driver wanted to hang "truck balls" from his UPS truck. Think the company's gonna go for it?

Which brings the question to mind: I have a pick-up truck. If someone else can hang truck balls from his trailer hitch, can I have a big black :censored2: sticking out of the receiver?
Maybe we should analyze the real issue at hand before we concentrate on your desires.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
OK, then why the hell would anyone hang a noose from their rear view mirror (other than for racist reasons)? Driver?
Because they think it looks cool?

I'm surprised it can be an issue for the union. If UPS deems the noose unacceptable, then it goes. Suppose a driver wanted to hang "truck [-]balls[/-] NUTZ" from his UPS truck. Think the company's gonna go for it?

That first thing would make quite the avatar, LOL. As far as the second thing, why's it have to be black?

My thoughts are, if it's hanging in a pkg car and it's a small thing, what's the big deal? I can see if it was like, life sized and ready for stringing someone up. I'm not dark brown, nor am I caucasian, and I don't see the problem. I'm actually raised near Maspeth and I still don't see the issue, though I would follow the ruling given by UPS. I hear and obey....................Darn shock collar!:wink2:

illiana

People are way too sensitive these days.

I wouldn't care if a fellow driver had a plaque in his truck that said "Kill Whitey".

Who cares... well, unless he really tries to kill me :surprised:!
A noose has been used to kill or exterminate black people for generations. The sad part is that it still goes on today. People that you work with more than likely are related to some of those people in which have been exterminated. Let me say that I don't agree with you stating that people are to sensitive. I have never heard of anyone ever having a plaque in their truck saying kill whitey.

illiana

Because they think it looks cool?

That first thing would make quite the avatar, LOL. As far as the second thing, why's it have to be black?

My thoughts are, if it's hanging in a pkg car and it's a small thing, what's the big deal? I can see if it was like, life sized and ready for stringing someone up. I'm not dark brown, nor am I caucasian, and I don't see the problem. I'm actually raised near Maspeth and I still don't see the issue, though I would follow the ruling given by UPS. I hear and obey....................Darn shock collar!:wink2:
So you agree with raciest displays as long as they are not life sized. So you must be into minimized racism.

JimJimmyJames

Big Time Feeder Driver
I am partly of Irish descent. The English have historically not been the kindest to the Irish. Still, if a fellow driver had a potato with a knife stuck in it with "death to the Irish" carved on the side, hanging from his mirror, I would not care.

I would care if he put a knife in me. See the difference?

It is the old "sticks and stones" thing. Learned about it when I was kid.

Anyways... I have no problem with UPS asking us to remove anything that is not business related from our trucks. That is pretty much as it should be.

But I don't believe anyone should be punished for a "hate crime" for something that can be interpreted multiple ways. Just ask the driver to remove it and carry on.

bbsam

Staff member
I am partly of Irish descent. The English have historically not been the kindest to the Irish. Still, if a fellow driver had a potato with a knife stuck in it with "death to the Irish" carved on the side, hanging from his mirror, I would not care.

Anyways... I have no problem with UPS asking us to remove anything that is not business related from our trucks. That is pretty much as it should be.

But I don't believe anyone should be punished for a "hate crime" for something that can be interpreted multiple ways. Just ask the driver to remove it and carry on.
Did anyone call it a "hate crime"? It's very simple: their truck, their call.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
So you agree with raciest displays as long as they are not life sized. So you must be into minimized racism.
Nice spin, but here's another side. I'M OPEN MINDED ENOUGH TO NOT BELIEVE EVERYTHING I SEE HAS TO DO WITH RACE/COLOR/CREED. You on the other hand are having quite an issue. Can I reccomend a good therapist?

Amen, Brotha! Oh, and illiana, in case you're feeling violated by my use of the word Brotha, sorry, but I've used that slang for years, Sistah!

dillweed

This doesn't even need to become racial. That driver's job was to represent the company in a professional manner. Doesn't matter if he had a noose, fake balls, fuzzy dice or his HS graduation tassel hanging - he had no right to display anything other than UPS materials in that car.
Except, of course, what he needed to get through the day. And he sure didn't need a personal item dangling thing on his mirror. I'm not even going to mention the visual interference and what would be written on his report should he have an accident.....oops, just mentioned it.

over9five

Staff member
He was asked to remove it. The Union stepped in on the driver's behalf thus adding to the tension within the center.

"...Bagnasco was told to remove it immediately and he did, a UPS official said. The company also tried to suspend the driver, but the union blocked their action."

I would say the company added to the tension, not the Union.

feederdriver06

former monkey slave
I would suggest that if you know any black families or friends of any black people that you work with ask them. If a noose is left at a black families doorstep thats one case but utilized within another fashion then ordinance violation.
I really don't think you thought about your own response before you posted it. Maybe if things like this took place on a regular basis with your family or our people you might think otherwise.
I did think about what I posted before I posted it and I stand behind what I posted 100%

feederdriver06

former monkey slave
If I saw this "noose" hanging in one of my cars. I would have pulled it out immediately and given it to the driver and asked him not to ever hang that again. At the very least it is in bad taste, and yes, it is my job to say so.
Because a noose is hailed as a symbol of termination of life I agree the noose is improper in the package car but it is not racist. It would only be racist if used in a specific context. LONG LIVE THE UNION