UPS workers outraged over small noose hanging inside driver's truck

feederdriver06

former monkey slave
I am partly of Irish descent. The English have historically not been the kindest to the Irish. Still, if a fellow driver had a potato with a knife stuck in it with "death to the Irish" carved on the side, hanging from his mirror, I would not care.

I would care if he put a knife in me. See the difference?

It is the old "sticks and stones" thing. Learned about it when I was kid.

Anyways... I have no problem with UPS asking us to remove anything that is not business related from our trucks. That is pretty much as it should be.

But I don't believe anyone should be punished for a "hate crime" for something that can be interpreted multiple ways. Just ask the driver to remove it and carry on.
Rock on, driver. I remember that sticks and stones thing. Words to live by. Its a shame people don't live by it. Just think of how much less tension there would be.

JimJimmyJames

Big Time Feeder Driver
Did anyone call it a "hate crime"? It's very simple: their truck, their call.

He was going to be suspended. I am sure it was not simply for having something hanging from his mirror, thus he was being punished for a hate crime.

What else would you call it? I mean, that is what we call supposedly racist acts nowadays, right?

I personally would say that the driver committed Thought Crime. One cannot think in anyway other than how the collective wants you to think.

bbsam

Staff member
He was going to be suspended. I am sure it was not simply for having something hanging from his mirror, thus he was being punished for a hate crime.

What else would you call it? I mean, that is what we call supposedly racist acts nowadays, right?

I personally would say that the driver committed Thought Crime. One cannot think in anyway other than how the collective wants you to think.
The company has no authority to call anything a hate crime. In fact they are not calling anything a crime at all. Being chronically late isn't a crime but can get one punished. Again, the company owns the truck and therefore is the one and only authority on what is displayed in or on it. Race and crime don't even enter into the discussion

bbsam

Staff member
what does it have to do with racism? yes blacks were hung, but so was white people...how is it racist?
It doesn't have to be racist for the company to insist upon it's removal. I also agree that the racism claim is quite a stretch and I would suggest more evident in this discussion than in the incident itself.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

bbsam, have you read the news article from which the headline was drawn? Please take a minute to do so and then tell me whether you think the noose is racial or not.

jennie

But it wasn't an actual noose. It was an itty bitty one on a keychain. I haven't seen it, but I doubt you could fit it around a neck.

Exactly! If I got excited about all that was said regarding color, religion, politics, visual things at UPS, oh lord I would be annoying. GET OVER IT.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
This doesn't even need to become racial. That driver's job was to represent the company in a professional manner. Doesn't matter if he had a noose, fake balls, fuzzy dice or his HS graduation tassel hanging - he had no right to display anything other than UPS materials in that car.
Except, of course, what he needed to get through the day. And he sure didn't need a personal item dangling thing on his mirror. I'm not even going to mention the visual interference and what would be written on his report should he have an accident.....oops, just mentioned it.
What about pictures of your family?

POW!

Exactly! If I got excited about all that was said regarding color, religion, politics, visual things at UPS, oh lord I would be annoying. GET OVER IT.
Thanks Britney, very well said.

JimJimmyJames

Big Time Feeder Driver
The company has no authority to call anything a hate crime. In fact they are not calling anything a crime at all. Being chronically late isn't a crime but can get one punished. Again, the company owns the truck and therefore is the one and only authority on what is displayed in or on it. Race and crime don't even enter into the discussion

Crime is when you break a rule. The company has rules. Specifically, the company has rules to protect people from harrassment. Someone saw the noose, interpreted it as being racist, felt harrassed, and reported it to management.

Management told the driver with the noose to remove it from the truck. They had the right to do so. But did they have the right to consider the noose a racist symbol and thus suspend the driver?

In fact, are we not supposed to be given a verbal warning first? At least for infractions that are not "cardinal sins"?

illiana

Nice spin, but here's another side. I'M OPEN MINDED ENOUGH TO NOT BELIEVE EVERYTHING I SEE HAS TO DO WITH RACE/COLOR/CREED. You on the other hand are having quite an issue. Can I reccomend a good therapist?

Amen, Brotha! Oh, and illiana, in case you're feeling violated by my use of the word Brotha, sorry, but I've used that slang for years, Sistah!
You should feel violated because (eye) show more concern about your people than you do. The only true issue I have is with you because you care less about the past history of your people and the use of a noose.
God bless America so you say.

D

Dis-organized Labor

You should feel violated because (eye) show more concern about your people than you do. The only true issue I have is with you because you care less about the past history of your people and the use of a noose.

Illiana:

Why dispute this issue? Let it go(! seriously!) and move on to some other issues like "2727 Update".

That is virtual entertainment and I'm hoping I provide at least 30%!!

illiana

I did think about what I posted before I posted it and I stand behind what I posted 100%
You are a timex watch in a digital world. Continue driving your truck and let life pass you by. The world is changing everyday, when you get time and come out of your truck you will find that out. Keep on trucking!

JimJimmyJames

Big Time Feeder Driver

The real problem is people who cannot get past seeing one another as "us" and "them".

This not only goes for all the racists out there :wink2:.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
That's the problem here. Instead of you being concerned for ALL people, you tend to be concerned for my people. As a whole, America has come a long way in its race relations. Granted, there are exceptions, just as in any country, but for the main part WE have come a long way, and continue to march forward with this improvement in mind.

Now, if you start pointing a finger at every little thing that someone does or says, because, Oh, their not meeting the criteria for good race relations, we'll move ahead a lot more slowly than we currently are moving. If I were you, and I know I'm not, I would be less concerned with the driver's little noose and more concerned with actual problems, like, black on black violence, the crime rate in Puerto Rico and other things like this that MY people are going through. Hmmmm, I wonder what people are actually mine?

dillweed

Steve, I certainly understand that reminder of family can help us through a rough work day. I'd keep the picture in my purse or wallet to look at when I needed a boost. I don't post them in my work area but some do. It's not mine to judge right from wrong but when I'm on the clock I try to do what the hand that feeds me wants me to do. Sometimes we lose a bit of soul in that, but regain it as soon as we hit the time clock at the end of the day.

air_something

Angry Monkey - 2nd Order
what does it have to do with racism? yes blacks were hung, but so was white people...how is it racist?

White people were hung because they commited a crime, blacks were hung for being black.

If the public sees an item attached to a UPS vehicle, be it a noose, a cross or Flying Spaghetti Monster, they will perceive it as being endorsed by UPS.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ

Steve, I certainly understand that reminder of family can help us through a rough work day. I'd keep the picture in my purse or wallet to look at when I needed a boost. I don't post them in my work area but some do. It's not mine to judge right from wrong but when I'm on the clock I try to do what the hand that feeds me wants me to do. Sometimes we lose a bit of soul in that, but regain it as soon as we hit the time clock at the end of the day.
Great post, dill, it shows you have it together.

White people were hung because they commited a crime, blacks were hung for being black.

If the public sees an item attached to a UPS vehicle, be it a noose, a cross or Flying Spaghetti Monster, they will perceive it as being endorsed by UPS.
Good point!

illiana

Illiana:

Why dispute this issue? Let it go(! seriously!) and move on to some other issues like "2727 Update".

That is virtual entertainment and I'm hoping I provide at least 30%!!
Its kind of hard to move on when people keep responding to me. We all have our views and thoughts and the mere fact that we discuss issues we all become educated in new ways.
Have a good Thanks Giving.

illiana

That's the problem here. Instead of you being concerned for ALL people, you tend to be concerned for my people. As a whole, America has come a long way in its race relations. Granted, there are exceptions, just as in any country, but for the main part WE have come a long way, and continue to march forward with this improvement in mind.

Now, if you start pointing a finger at every little thing that someone does or says, because, Oh, their not meeting the criteria for good race relations, we'll move ahead a lot more slowly than we currently are moving. If I were you, and I know I'm not, I would be less concerned with the driver's little noose and more concerned with actual problems, like, black on black violence, the crime rate in Puerto Rico and other things like this that MY people are going through. Hmmmm, I wonder what people are actually mine?
I think you missed the point of what I stated to you. Have a Good Thanks Giving.

D

Dis-organized Labor

Steve,
This is an excellent post!
You're pointing out the age-old defense of what "what one had to say to prove or actually disprove the other's point". Make sense?
By redirecting the argument away from arguing why there are no differences or why the difference arguments are valid, I totally agree that concentration on the REAL issues is much more value-added.

My problem or concern is that some (most??) people are engaged in their own, typical, traditional way of thinking. Time will predict the rate of change, but for the near term, I expect things to stay status quo.

However, I still appreciate your POV!

DOL