Upselling Surepost...

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We complain about the people who are receiving the package not having any say in how their packages are delivered. Well now they have a choice.

They have always had a choice. Most online e-tailers give you the chance to choose your shipping service level at checkout----if you choose "free shipping" you essential have no say in how your package(s) is (are) delivered.

I would think that, for the most part, consumers who have chosen free shipping will choose not to spend $3.50 just to get their package a day earlier, especially if it is not a time-sensitive item. I know I wouldn't but then again I am cheap.

worldwide

I just got an email from UPS MyChoice (I only registered a year ago for shipment notifications.

We've received a package(s) for delivery to you shipped using a UPS service that is not eligible for UPS My Choice features because final delivery is being provided by the U.S. Postal Service.
For immediate access to your UPS My Choice features, select the Upgrade Now button to request delivery by UPS ($3.50 fee applies).
Upgraded packages will typically be delivered one day earlier.

Sooo, we're proactively trying to upsell people. lol

Sounds like a smart business idea that is a winner for all involved:
-Customer gets the option to get the package a day earlier
-UPS service provider gets an additional stop
-UPS gets an additional source of revenue

I've read countless posts on here about the Teamsters and drivers complaining that work is being taken away from them and given to the USPS (despite the fact ALL SurePost packages are picked up, sorted and delivered by a Teamster driver-some to the consignee, some to the USPS). Here's an option that brings some business back into the system to be delivered by a Teamster driver. That's good.

As the name implies, UPS My Choice gives the choice to the customer how/when they would like their package delivered. Although the shipper made the choice to use SurePost (no doubt due to low price and the ability to sell "free" shipping to its customers), the receiver can not make the choice to get the package a day sooner at a cost that is more than likely much less than they would have paid for a pure end-to-end UPS Ground shipment. That's good.

Again, sounds like a smart business decision by UPS to increase revenue, increase value to shareholders and increase work for Teamster drivers.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Sounds like a smart business idea that is a winner for all involved:
-Customer gets the option to get the package a day earlier
-UPS service provider gets an additional stop
-UPS gets an additional source of revenue

I've read countless posts on here about the Teamsters and drivers complaining that work is being taken away from them and given to the USPS (despite the fact ALL SurePost packages are picked up, sorted and delivered by a Teamster driver-some to the consignee, some to the USPS). Here's an option that brings some business back into the system to be delivered by a Teamster driver. That's good.

As the name implies, UPS My Choice gives the choice to the customer how/when they would like their package delivered. Although the shipper made the choice to use SurePost (no doubt due to low price and the ability to sell "free" shipping to its customers), the receiver can not make the choice to get the package a day sooner at a cost that is more than likely much less than they would have paid for a pure end-to-end UPS Ground shipment. That's good.

Again, sounds like a smart business decision by UPS to increase revenue, increase value to shareholders and increase work for Teamster drivers.
I just threw up in my mouth a little. When did the ups facebook team join the BC?

Sent from Droid 4 using Brown Cafe mobile app

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I just threw up in my mouth a little. When did the ups facebook team join the BC?

Worldwide has been around here a lot longer than you and he is a well respected member of the forum offering well-thought out posts. He/she knows UPS very well and offers good insight to the business and operations.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
They have always had a choice. Most online e-tailers give you the chance to choose your shipping service level at checkout----if you choose "free shipping" you essential have no say in how your package(s) is (are) delivered.

I would think that, for the most part, consumers who have chosen free shipping will choose not to spend $3.50 just to get their package a day earlier, especially if it is not a time-sensitive item. I know I wouldn't but then again I am cheap.
I would not either but then again I am value oriented.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
My wife ordered a box of checks from Direct Checks last weekend. Tuesday I got an email from UPS MY Choice asking if I wanted to upgrade the delivery for $3.50. Will not need them for at least a month so I declined the offer.
I never signed up for My Choice so I don't know how they got my email address.
Also am on vacation this week and don't even want to see a package car.

oldngray

nowhere special
I am "thrifty". I don't pay for Amazon Prime for example. I usually don't mind waiting a couple of more days for the normal free delivery.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Worldwide has been around here a lot longer than you and he is a well respected member of the forum offering well-thought out posts. He/she knows UPS very well and offers good insight to the business and operations.
I was saying it looked like something you'd see coming out of ups public relations. I didn't say the poster was not respected or hadn't registered on the forum prior to me...

worldwide

I'm not part of PR or the social media group.

What part of my post do you disagree with or take exception to?

As consumers, we are surrounded by upselling (value meals, extended warranties, buy 2 get 1 free, etc.). I personally prefer to have all options presented to me so I can make an informed choice as a consumer. If spending a few bucks more to get my package a day sooner is an option and important to me, everyone involved wins - me as the consumer, UPS as a corporation and the UPS employee delivering the package.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
I'm not part of PR or the social media group.

What part of my post do you disagree with or take exception to?

As consumers, we are surrounded by upselling (value meals, extended warranties, buy 2 get 1 free, etc.). I personally prefer to have all options presented to me so I can make an informed choice as a consumer. If spending a few bucks more to get my package a day sooner is an option and important to me, everyone involved wins - me as the consumer, UPS as a corporation and the UPS employee delivering the package.
I didn't disagree with your post. It was just the presentation and format that sounded very "company line." There wasn't anything wrong with your post.