UPSer reach billion dollar milestone in giving

tieguy

Banned
UPSers are now crossing into the one billion dollar level of giving to united way. This total given since we started participating in the united way campaigns in 1982. Think about all the people that billion dollars have helped. All the meals provided to the homeless. All the money funneled to helping those with terrible debilitating diseases, fighting cancers etc. All the community based help through organizations like the boy scoutts , local rec's etc.

"and in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make"

softshoe

UPSers are now crossing into the one billion dollar level of giving to united way. This total given since we started participating in the united way campaigns in 1982.

"and in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make"

We were donating in 1977 at our location.

over9five

Staff member
We did our cards today. Easy way to do some good. I increased mine this year.

As always, I hope it's helping someone, somewhere....

Good thread, Tie. I tried to rep ya, but it wouldn't let me.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
We're supporting the susan komen fight against breast cancer this year if anyone is looking for ideas.

I am assuming that you are channeling your United Way contributions to this cause, a great and worthy cause.
Have considered cutting out the middle man, The United Way, and give directly to The Susan Komen Fight?

tieguy

Banned
He does. every organization has their share of problems. United way is no different. The teamsters union has had their share of corruption yet last time I checked there were very few teamsters withholding their donations. I assume they still believe in the overall good of the union.

Your charity is a good one but it may not be as good at fundraising. Thats where the UW comes into play. Charities would never get more then a fraction of what united way raises for them if they had to rely on people writing checks and mailing them every month.

This thread was not designed to be another battle in the united way wars but a tribute to the tremendous generosity of upsers everywhere. You would think a certain thread jacker would respect that and leave this thread alone. Whether he agrees or disagrees with the united way is not the theme of this thread. UPSers helping their community with a billion dollars in donations is.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
do you have a problem with upsers being recognized for their generosity?

No, I have a problem with The United Way and how it is run.
Also as you alluded, "UPSers being recognized for their generosity" is also known as invaluable advertising for the company.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
He does. every organization has their share of problems. United way is no different. The teamsters union has had their share of corruption yet last time I checked there were very few teamsters withholding their donations. I assume they still believe in the overall good of the union.

Your charity is a good one but it may not be as good at fundraising. Thats where the UW comes into play. Charities would never get more then a fraction of what united way raises for them if they had to rely on people writing checks and mailing them every month.

This thread was not designed to be another battle in the united way wars but a tribute to the tremendous generosity of upsers everywhere. You would think a certain thread jacker would respect that and leave this thread alone. Whether he agrees or disagrees with the united way is not the theme of this thread. UPSers helping their community with a billion dollars in donations is.

No, I made one comment that wasn't pro United Way.
I thought this forum was designed to explore both sides of a topic?
You then made a backhanded comment about AID's directed at me and my sexuality.
My mistake was being goated into stooping to your level.
You know what?
What the hell, I'll step back and let you guys have your little kumbaya thread.
Give till it hurts.

Blizzard

Its clear you have strong feelings against united way. But your uw bashing is not hurting ups and not hurting united way. Its hurting those that desperately need our charitable donations.

DS

Fenderbender
No, I have a problem with The United Way and how it is run.
Also as you alluded, "UPSers being recognized for their generosity" is also known as invaluable advertising for the company.
This may be true bubbles,but tieguy is right. A billion dollars ! Not from ups but from its employees.
UPS can use it any way they want,and regardless of your thoughts about the united way,its a happy thread,
Maybe we can send all our money to you,and you can disperse it to the ones who really need it.

fxdwg

Long Time Member
I can see the argument with giving on behalf of UPS versus yourself.
"Giving" as a group promotes and reinforces unity, especially for a cause or some initiative.

UPS does not do a great job of uniting their people in this respect.

Pretty remarkable accomplishment if you ask me. To put a billion in perspective, a billion seconds ago was November 1978. A billiion minutes takes you back to the days of the Roman Empire - 109 AD!

There's a cool ad United Way is running next week in Fortune magazine to recognize UPS employees. There's a sneak preview on UPSers.com now.

Shifting Contents

Most Help Needed
Yay! People I work with care! Good for them.

I however, do not choose to show my caring in the form of doantions to the united way for a multitude of reasons.

I donate to local charities on my own, volunteer for Habitat, and pay it forward all the time.

If others I work with enjoy the ease of giving a single donation through UW then thats cool. I just don't like the UW. It has nothing to do with my management and everything to do with my choice in the method of my giving.