UPSers are DOOMED

Coldworld

60 months and counting
As I've previously stated I would have liked to see it go up more to. But at the same time you're using worst case scenario. There is a progression that will help retention. Some will realistically be making 10:50 after 90 days and 11 after a year.

What is the turnover rate as of today. If you have 10 part-timers hired, how many actually stick around for a year? If the starting wage was 10 or 12 bucks an hour, how many of those 10 part-timers would stick around for the same year period. I think turnover would be about the same. We are lucky that there will be a large turnover of people in the next few years, starting now. There will me more movement going on than there has been since the 80's when ups was hiring drivers like crazy. Yes, most of these jobs will be with pkg and feeder, but some will be combo jobs. And a comment on supporting a family on part-time, I remember working in the hub and most people had 2 jobs, or were going to school or had a spouse that worked full time. I do believe that the wage should be higher to start, but for those that want full time work driving, you will not have to wait the 7 or 8 years that many of the drivers of earlier did. There are many in my building that only worked in the hub 2 years and then got the call. It will probably be less time for this year. Why is everyone blowing this off, this is good news.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
In reply to your all is lost comments I believe the contract could have been kinder to the part timers i.e. only adding $5. per month pension credit for future years of service and separating us in the "National UPS Health Care Plan for Part Time Employees".
I had the honor of meeting Jimmy Hoffa and hall during their campaign for office and spoke to Ken for a few minutes privatley about the needs of the part timers ( 250+) on my shift. I hope he listened and did as well as he could.
I have been a teamster and a upser for 10 years and and have not had to pay for health care for myself and my dependants when my day job would have cost me $700.00 per month. Thank you teamsters ! Now you and I have health care and a pension for another 5 years, with a part time job!!!!Please know that management and non-union employees have to contribute to their health care.
Maybe you should rethink your comment about getting rid of the Teamsters.

good post...Just curious, how many part-timers have retired from ups. Does anyone have this info. Im sure it isnt many, thats why they can offer 100 percent funded and part time retirement healthcare. Yes its nice and im not bashing it, just want to know if anyone out there has ever known a part-time hub worker that has retired?

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
I know there are few in my hub --more on preload and midnight. My intention is to do a least 20 to supplement my social security ( if there is any ) and my 401K's (teamsters and day job).Need to stay around for another contract and look after my local's part timers.

local804

Lol, you really don't have a clue do you? Yes mostly package car drivers fill available feeder spots, but someone has to fill that package car driver's spot. And who do you think that full-time job opportunity will filter down to? Thats right, part-time employees.

He actually does have a valid point here. How will more feeder jobs be created when feeder drivers are layed off and bumped back into package after the 5 day layoff? If on an average 12 guys per year go into feeder 10 part timers are promoted to full time drivers. Under the new contract, if feeder runs are eliminated, the driver can go back into the package division and that will decreast the part timers chance of being promoted to full time.

J

JonFrum

Can anyone tell me what happens in 5 years if the Teamsters have gone though the 6.1 billion?:greedy:

The Teamsters will never touch the $6.1 billion. Just as they never touched any of the previous UPS contributions. UPS will deliver the money to the Central States Pension Fund, which is a seperate legal entity from the Teamsters. (Seperate even from the Central States H&W Fund.) The $6.1 billion is a debt UPS legally owes and must pay if it is going to withdraw from further participation in the Pension Fund.

For years, UPS and some Central States UPSers, have been claiming that 60% of UPS contributions, intended for UPSers, were being diverted to fund non-UPSer's retirement. Now, with the payment of the $6.1 billion, there's no longer any debate. UPS has agreed that the money is NOT being contributed on behalf of UPSers. The money is being given to the Fund in general. The money will be used to finance the retirement of all retirees, very few of whom are UPSers. UPS is giving about a decade's worth of annual contributions in one lump sum, to finance all those non-UPSers they have been complaining about all these years. Odd, isn't it?

tieguy

Banned
He actually does have a valid point here. How will more feeder jobs be created when feeder drivers are layed off and bumped back into package after the 5 day layoff? If on an average 12 guys per year go into feeder 10 part timers are promoted to full time drivers. Under the new contract, if feeder runs are eliminated, the driver can go back into the package division and that will decreast the part timers chance of being promoted to full time.

I don't see the feeder reductions. You have to look at our competition fdx who uses line haulers to run loads straight to the destination hubs. They are forcing us to pull more loads off the trains and improve time and transit committs to stay ahead of the game. thus we create more sleeper jobs. We have more sleeper jobs going in on the east coast next year as another wave of lane enhancements goes in.

I don't know if Jimmy h. has been politicking for these additional jobs or just the right guy in the right place at the right time but we have created a lot of feeder jobs while he has been in office.

d-rek357

8 years and I worked a full time job the entire time as well. At no point did I ever expect my part time job to be anything more than additional income and a stepping stone to a full time position.

and what exactly do you think im expecting, to raise a family on a part time job? no. Its a stepping stone for a great full time job. I just didnt expect it to take half of my ups carreer.

tieguy

Banned
For years, UPS and some Central States UPSers, have been claiming that 60% of UPS contributions, intended for UPSers, were being diverted to fund non-UPSer's retirement. Now, with the payment of the $6.1 billion, there's no longer any debate. UPS has agreed that the money is NOT being contributed on behalf of UPSers. The money is being given to the Fund in general. The money will be used to finance the retirement of all retirees, very few of whom are UPSers. UPS is giving about a decade's worth of annual contributions in one lump sum, to finance all those non-UPSers they have been complaining about all these years. Odd, isn't it?

not that odd at all. they are buying their way off the titanic as you know. Is this why you won't join the site so you can keep posting misinformation anonymously?

MR_Vengeance

United Parcel Survivor
I don't see the feeder reductions. You have to look at our competition fdx who uses line haulers to run loads straight to the destination hubs. They are forcing us to pull more loads off the trains and improve time and transit committs to stay ahead of the game. thus we create more sleeper jobs. We have more sleeper jobs going in on the east coast next year as another wave of lane enhancements goes in.

I don't know if Jimmy h. has been politicking for these additional jobs or just the right guy in the right place at the right time but we have created a lot of feeder jobs while he has been in office.

7 guys under me and 5 of them are in PKG for the past month. Last few years the lowest guy in feeder was working around this time of the year; not to mention the guys who had a job but got bumped down due to the elimination of runs. Maybe you know something that i don't, but what's the point of having so many "Backups" if there's not enough jobs?

local804

They changed the wording around for a reason Tie. It says nothing about creating more jobs but clearly opens the way to sub out for cheaper labor to compete with the USPS. Maybe next contract the illegals from Mexico can pull our trailers for 8.00 a day. Nafta could save UPS millions if they went that route. Like I said, they changed the wording around for a reason and it dont look like it was for creating more sleeper jobs.

trickpony1

804-
Tieguy claims to be a feeder supervisor but he can't tell us why the language related to feeders (3 years or less to be laid off if loads are put on the rail and sub-contracting) changed?
Curious isn't it?

tieguy

Banned
804-
Tieguy claims to be a feeder supervisor but he can't tell us why the language related to feeders (3 years or less to be laid off if loads are put on the rail and sub-contracting) changed?
Curious isn't it?

I never claimed to be a feeder supervisor. someone who spends so much time trying to discredit me should at least know that.

I can tell you what the business realities are which is that we will take more loads off the trains and thus create more feeder jobs.

I can tell you that we will look to move more work directly to hubs to speed up our time in transit performance and thus stay ahead of our competition.

I can tell you what we did in the past which I was heavily involved. that was many lane enhancements creating many feeder jobs. Many of the posters on this site that are from the forest park, atlanta and p dale operations probably experienced those changes personally.

I can't however provide you with any woe is me the sky is falling rhetoric. you will have to look to trick and griff for that type of help.:surprised:

local804

They are forcing us to pull more loads off the trains and improve time and transit committs to stay ahead of the game. thus we create more sleeper jobs. We have more sleeper jobs going in on the east coast next year as another wave of lane enhancements goes in.

Please read article 26 of the master agreement between UPS and the Teamsters. It states the total opposite from what you are preaching on this site. They talk about adding to the rail to compete with the USPS yet you say they will take off more loads to create sleeper teams. They also say they are NOT required to add loads for the drivers that were "layed off or displaced" What happens to the feeder drivers with less than 3 years? Is this a trade off for the CS getting thier pension money back? I have no idea what you are talking about when you say creating more jobs, I dont believe you on this topic.

local804

I

I would agree the feeder sleeper jobs that were added were if fact due to fast trac not Jumping Jimmy.

tieguy

Banned
Please read article 26 of the master agreement between UPS and the Teamsters. It states the total opposite from what you are preaching on this site. They talk about adding to the rail to compete with the USPS yet you say they will take off more loads to create sleeper teams. They also say they are NOT required to add loads for the drivers that were "layed off or displaced" What happens to the feeder drivers with less than 3 years? Is this a trade off for the CS getting thier pension money back? I have no idea what you are talking about when you say creating more jobs, I dont believe you on this topic.

I've gone through that language previously on this site 804. I personally think the entire section is very positive for your side. you're focusing on the part about three years. I don't believe the company initiated that language since the company in my opinion has no interest in putting loads back on the train.

If you read through the whole section you see a lot of positive language that supports everything I've said. I think you're leaders see us making many more moves where we pull loads off the train and has locked in language allowing them to be more involved in the planning stages.

55andout?

:anxious: Get rid of the teamsters????????????? SSSSSHHHHHHH!!!! Talk like that will get you into a meeting with Jimmy Hoffa......the dead one.....watch what you say about the FOT>>>they still have mob ties.

blue efficacy

8 years and I worked a full time job the entire time as well. At no point did I ever expect my part time job to be anything more than additional income and a stepping stone to a full time position.
Don't call me a coward for trying to point out to you this guy wants more than a PT job to support his family. C'mon, common sense dude!

Are you under the impression that his wait time is unique? With a few rare exceptions, we've all had to put in a lot of part time years to get a full time opportunity. His complaint was about the amount of money he makes as a part timer and how was he supposed to support a family on that. My response was that it never ceases to amaze me the number of part timers that expect to support a family on what they make at UPS. Why isn't he complaining about the amount of money he makes at his full time job?

tieguy

Banned
:anxious: Get rid of the teamsters????????????? SSSSSHHHHHHH!!!! Talk like that will get you into a meeting with Jimmy Hoffa......the dead one.....watch what you say about the FOT>>>they still have mob ties.

Don't forget Ronnie C. when you talk about the Mob.