Upsers Get 35 cents

Why is someone asking this question? Is reading the contract, the one that we just voted on, that freakin' hard?

I was asking because that is the talk in my Hub, and I don't have a copy of the contract.

People have said that the wording in the contract suggested that the .35 in February wasn't a guaranteed thing every year. (That if the cost of Health care went up, UPS didn't have to meet the February raise)

govols019

You smell that?
I was asking because that is the talk in my Hub, and I don't have a copy of the contract.

People have said that the wording in the contract suggested that the .35 in February wasn't a guaranteed thing every year. (That if the cost of Health care went up, UPS didn't have to meet the February raise)

I'm not trying to be rude but finding a copy of the contract is not that hard.

In my opinion, 70 cents a year (2 combined raises) is a big deal. Especially, since every year the price of gas jumps ever so higher, the cost of living rides with this. Its not so much that small raises make a big difference in your pay over a year, but they do over 5 years when who knows how much gasoline, food, etc, will cost. However, I can not find anywhere in the contract where we will not get our 35 cents in February. The wage progression is set and that is what we will be entitled to.

As far as pay, UPS does pay pretty damn well for PT work and even FT work. Not many places if any you can get a job with a high school education and no other training and make out pretty well. If you do choose to work at UPS, and you make this a career, putting in years of service I think should be rewarded with good pay over time. UPS will make millions on your few thousands you make each year. At least you will be better off there than somewhere else. Would you work for FED EX? DHL? Not me!

Also, if there are any questions regarding the contract, talk with your local. You pay them dues, elect them to do a job, you are entitled to ask them questions as they are working for you. Get a copy of the contract, its easy to do...ask your steward.

I agree, this contract is not as strong as the previous one in some respects, and it is better in other respects. we voted on it, so we must live with it. Good thing, this contract will not last forever. If anyone gets the shaft in this contract its the new hires.

govols019

You smell that?
However, I can not find anywhere in the contract where we will not get our 35 cents in February. The wage progression is set and that is what we will be entitled to.

Here, I found it for you.

Section 4 Re-allocations of Contributions/Wages
The Teamsters UPS National Negotiating Committee may re-allocate designated increases in
Health & Welfare and/or pension contributions (HWPC) and/or general wage increases (GWI)
provided in this Agreement in accordance with the following rules:
1. Thirty-five cents ($0.35) of any GWI may be re-allocated as an increased contribution to a
Teamster Pension or Health & Welfare Fund. The re-allocation shall apply to all employees
in a Supplement, Rider or Addendum, as applicable, provided all of the affected employees
(full or part-time, if applicable) are covered by the same Pension or Health & Welfare
Fund.
2. Twenty-five cents ($0.25) of a HWPC may be re-allocated as a GWI. The re-allocation shall
apply to all employees in a Supplement, Rider or Addendum, as applicable, provided all of
the affected employees (full or part-time, if applicable) are covered by the same Pension or
Health & Welfare Fund.
3. Once a re-allocation becomes effective, it may not be changed.
4. A specified HWPC cannot be re-allocated to a GWI if the pension fund has been certified
as being in endangered or critical status (as defined in ERISA section 305 (b)(1) or (b)(2).
5. The Employer must be notified of any re-allocation, in writing, at least thirty (30) days
prior to the effective date of the GWI or HWPC.