Upset courier

dex 84

So it's 4 years to top out once you start driving but you have to put time in at a non-driving position before you can get on the road?

I agree that top out should be 5 years or less, at least for productive employees. There are plenty of new couriers who are a really good deal for fedex compared to some top of range couriers but there are also new couriers who aren't even a good deal compared to a topped out courier working his second day off of the week...

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I disagree. There's no reason a courier shouldn't put in their time before 'topping out'. How much time? That's not for me to say. BTW...there really isn't a top out at FedEx.

A UPS driver can correct me if I'm wrong. I believe UPS tops out in 3 years. The difference is once they top out, they don't get a raise until there's a new contract saying so.

4 years after which they get contractual raises.

Purplepackage

Management asked all full time couriers with 25 yrs + if they were interested in dropping down to part time last year. The ones with wives who made good money acted on it. The one's that weren't interested magically work 35-40 hours a week now. They used to have carte blanche. Sign up on a Saturday to work all OT. 50 hrs a week, the norm. Now they have targets on them. And they are just the guys who get all the vacation in the summer months, the week between Christmas and New Years, and the day after Thanksgiving.

Youre station must be the exception to Fedex, my station is also begging for people to work Saturday and do double routes. I just worked 56 hours this week, haven't had a week under 50 since May

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
It takes a new driver four years to reach top pay.We also get raises every year and some years the raises are split up half on Aug.1 the other half on Feb.1

The big difference is that the raises are defined contractually. No games, no steps, no BS. I believe top scale is $37 per hour at the end of the current UPS contract. Oh, and a generous pension and good benefits, which make the gap even wider.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
That's great. We have America's most wanted coming in every 2 weeks off the street as new hires. It's like the movie: "Enemy at the Gates." In the battle of Stalingrad. One guy gets a rifle, the other gets the bullets, when one dies, the other is to pick up the rifle or ammo and continue to deliver. All FT routes cut to the bone.

I laughed my ass off reading this. Good stuff, and so true in most of the country.

ManInBrown

I can embrace the suck for 14-1600$ take home a week.
Not even close to 14-1600 a week take home. I gross on average 1700-1800 and after taxes and 401K contributions and stock purchase I'm lucky to clear 1050. Not complaining but nowhere near what you claim we take home.

SmithBarney

Not even close to 14-1600 a week take home. I gross on average 1700-1800 and after taxes and 401K contributions and stock purchase I'm lucky to clear 1050. Not complaining but nowhere near what you claim we take home.
Might depend on the route/workload, I was only 2 years in an taking home 1k/week after deductions. Granted I was getting home at 10pm every night, didn't help that first marriage.

Purplepackage

Might depend on the route/workload, I was only 2 years in an taking home 1k/week after deductions. Granted I was getting home at 10pm every night, didn't help that first marriage.

We have a couple guys who came over from ups in the 80s, I still remember one of them just locked the truck up in a parking lot and called the center to come pick it up.

The other guy quit for the same reason you said above, newly wed and working over 12 hours a day is a good way to raise stress levels way higher than they should be

Purplepackage

Aren't you guys forced to take like 4 hour breaks? You work that whole shift?

lol 4 hour break. Im a swing driver, i only take hour breaks no matter the route. sometimes an hour and a half if im feeling generous.

Also i made sure to say im swing because that essentially lets me get away with anything i want

!Retired!

It takes a new driver four years to reach top pay.We also get raises every year and some years the raises are split up half on Aug.1 the other half on Feb.1
I stand corrected.
1700-1800 is 46-48 hours per week

9am start 7-730 finish. Not 12 hour days but pretty long. It's not fun.
9-7? no thanks. I like being home for dinner and going to my youngest stepdaughters volleyball games and the older ones swim meets. You couldn't pay me enough to miss those. After they finish high school is another story.

sandwich

The resident gearhead
I take home 12-1400 easy. I gross right around 2000 a week. Sometimes more. During peak I will easily bring home 1500 a week.

sandwich

The resident gearhead
I stand corrected.

9-7? no thanks. I like being home for dinner and going to my youngest stepdaughters volleyball games and the older ones swim meets. You couldn't pay me enough to miss those. After they finish high school is another story.
I agree with you. I'm a new father and I leave before my daughter wakes up and I'm usually home after she's been put to bed for the night. It sucks.

McFeely

Huge Member
With my weak pay increase (3.6%), I'm only going to be able to bump up my 401k by 1% this year. My kids are getting more expensive every year...