UPSPAC & United Way 2012

LiB

Oh, I see we have digressed to QPR. Let's not talk about QPR. I don't like talking about things where my goals have to be 140% on something that can only be 100% like SLIMS participation and the likes.

jimworker

UPSPAC Confusion - my management team gives us extra days off if we contribute at least $5.00 to UPSPAC. When I questioned this as being "pressure" or "bribery", HR told me to not bring this up anymore.​

UPS1907

There were raises this year ( unless you received and extremely low performance rating). The bands are not that much different than the grades we have always had. Last time I checked you give to United Way because you want to help people. What does that have to do with whether or not you got a raise?

The bands ARE NOT the same. There are people in this company who aren't eligible for raises their last 5 plus years with the company.

Charity starts at home. Don't I have the right to help MY family first. Maybe someone should inform the United Way how bad UPS is shafting management before they get their hopes up. I think UPS will be writing a BIG check this year if they want to beat last year numbers.

Contributions will not be the same. Management has had enough of giving, doing the right thing and basically getting **** on year after year.

Last edited by a moderator:

SignificantOwner

A Package Center Manager
No raise this year, a salary band and no raise for the next X years and upper management has the gall to ask FT management for contribution $$.

What color is the sky in their world?

Just a feeling, but i think contributions may be down this year... And I'm sure FT management will be the bad guys for NOT giving.

I'd like an update. Did you give? If you did, was it the same/more/less than last year? I won't think less or more of you either way...just wondering.

UPS1907

No raise this year, a salary band and no raise for the next X years and upper management has the gall to ask FT management for contribution $$.

What color is the sky in their world?

Just a feeling, but i think contributions may be down this year... And I'm sure FT management will be the bad guys for NOT giving.

I'd like an update. Did you give? If you did, was it the same/more/less than last year? I won't think less or more of you either way...just wondering.

Significantly less, a PT Hourly probably gives more. You can think what you wish.

airops

UPSPAC & United Way 2012

Zero. But I do volunteer a lot more of my time at a local charity. It feels a ton more rewarding.

pretzel_man

How many of your management peers ever get held back because of the lack of donating?

I have NEVER seen anyone held back due to lack of giving.

When it comes to UPSPAC, there is NO visibility into who gave. It can only be seen at a group level. (Minimum of 10 people in the group I think)

When it comes to United Way, its possible to see who gave and how much.....

I have seen however a Manager or Division Manager rated on how their center or division did.... I think that is fair personally. If a Division Manager cannot explain the importance of these things, maybe he / she is not doing the job.

I'm a believer in both and have conversations to my group all year about it. NOT just at contribution time. I have had a consistently high contriubution rate over the years....

Catatonic

Nine Lives
How many of your management peers ever get held back because of the lack of donating?

I have never seen any evidence of this.
Never heard it discussed in "peoples" meetings when people are rated on promotability.
As always, UPS is not a person but thousands of individuals doing what individuals do.

However, it can be conjectured that people who get promoted are people that have a sense of responsibility and willing to look beyond their personal feelings.
People who get promoted usually display leadership and giving to United Way is leadership through example.

SignificantOwner

A Package Center Manager
Never heard it discussed in "peoples" meetings when people are rated on promotability.
As always, UPS is not a person but thousands of individuals doing what individuals do.

However, it can be conjectured that people who get promoted are people that have a sense of responsibility and willing to look beyond their personal feelings.
People who get promoted usually display leadership and giving to United Way is leadership through example.

I've also not seen evidence of retaliation for not giving to United Way or not giving what the boss wanted. I have heard a lot of sarcastic comments about people that don't give or don't give "enough" although it seems to be less over the last few years.

In operations the ability to suppress one's conscience, treat others poorly, and make up stories about how good you used to be is what appears to lead to promotion. If that's showing leadership then I don't want to be it.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
In operations the ability to
1) suppress one's conscience,
2) treat others poorly, and
3) make up stories about how good you used to be is what appears to lead to promotion.

4) If that's showing leadership then I don't want to be it.

1) When I was hired at UPS, like any other company, I realized I was hired to do what was best for the company which would be determined by a chain of command.
I have never been directed to do anything immoral or illegal, so that has not been a problem so far nor do I expect it to be a problem in the next 8 months or so before I retire.
I have been asked to do things that were neither immoral or illegal but I have been asked to do things I was not comfortable with at which point I pushed back and every single time it has been dropped.

2) This is such a subjective phrase that there is no way to really answer it. I have been treated poorly a few times and I got over it but I remembered the "person"s ... I remembered very well. I was wary and non-supportive of those individuals but always supportive of UPS.

3) I think everybody makes up, embellishes or has selective memory about how well "they" did things long, long ago in a galaxy far away.
As an IE Manager, I had contacts all over the US and every time a new District Manager came in talking about how he did it back in "his galaxy". I would make a few calls and invariably the DM was in the "makes up, embellishes or has selective memory" mode.

4) I was never interested in getting promoted beyond the manager level and turned the next level down 3 times ... eventually, you drop off the list.
IMO jobs above the manager level are filled with too much stress, dealing with unreasonable expectations and just plain crappy jobs where you are forced into having to make decisions with less and less information. Manager level jobs involve making decisions were you feel fairly comfortable you can make a decision with a fairly high degree of certainty that it is a good decision and an acceptable decision.
In the past at UPS, "big" decisions were made by committee and so everyone's job was to ensure the decision was optimally implemented ... no matter how goober the decision was.
These days people at Level 18 and especially Level 20 and above have to make decisions on their own with limited input. This is primarily due to lack of people (or resources, as they say in the Corporate world).

Different views with different rationalizations but probable not that different in the base emotional feelings about jobs within the new UPS.

curiousbrain

I was told the other day, in no uncertain terms, that if I didn't get my little slice of heaven to give more than N dollars per week to United Way, the entire group would find itself without water, snacks, or fans. A bluff? Probably; but very telling about the kind of "pressure" that is exerted through the ranks, that filters down to us on the bottom rung.

texan

I was told the other day, in no uncertain terms, that if I didn't get my little slice of heaven to give more than N dollars per week to United Way, the entire group would find itself without water, snacks, or fans. A bluff? Probably; but very telling about the kind of "pressure" that is exerted through the ranks, that filters down to us on the bottom rung.

Sometimes it is easier to go with the flow of the river than against it.

It depends of course what it is.

My beginning was the Army, and we had the CFC (Combined Federal Campaign)

If you were in leadership, woe be upon you for not doing it.

I really believe that UW is a good organization. I see its fruit here in the local area.

If one has a stand to make against something, than stand. But the flow of the river might be a tiresome burden
when it comes to another dollar per week to go with the flow again.

texan

I would be willing to bet that you and the other more senior NCO's would "pitch in" to make sure your unit had 100% participation.

Greatest fear was when you are an E-4 promotable or an E-5 wanting to go to E-6.

The E-9 would demand your presence, and after he got done with you and explained he was the President of the
E-4 to E-5 and E-5 to E6 promotion board, you gave up some donation.... Real quick. Ah life in the Army.
Now life in UPS.
Many parallels I found since I was Blessed to be hired many years ago into UPS.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

What I meant was the more senior NCO's would each pitch in a dollar or two to cover those lower enlisted who either couldn't or wouldn't donate to ensure 100% donation.

But, you are right---it was expected that the lower ranking NCO's would donate.

UPS1907

It can also be conjectured that UPS doesn't care about mgt who they don't give raises to or cap with salary bands.