UPS's dolly manufacturer

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
...Yes we get them stolen by fellow employees at my center. Literally half the ones we have are broken and barely usable if not completely un-servicable. Despite all of the demos we may do on proper use of a dolly, some still find a way to break them.

The center team is ordering new ones, but with cost-cutting in effect their requests just seem to keep being ignored. The one I use now is broken and barely works.

Article 18, National Master Agreement

Section 14. Package Cars .......A package car will be equipped with a hand cart at the driver�s request.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

They are being "stolen" because the company has made a business decision to refuse to follow the contract language and provide an adequate number of hand carts.

Its not rocket science. If a given facility has x number of package cars then they need x number of handcarts, plus a couple extra as spares, for customer counter, clerks etc.

Like many UPS locations, you probably have some tight-assed finance manager who wont spend a nickel without rubbing it for a month or two, and this finance manager is ignorant of the contract that his company entered into. Educate this man by filing grievances, thereby helping him to develop and maintain a "sense of urgency" towards doing his job...which is to provide you with the tools you need to do yours.

upsman68

Here's a side note about the Handtruck/Dolly debate. How is it that our mall guy feels he has to push 2 of those carts that fold out into wagons? Surely there is some sort of safety issue involved when one person is pushing 2 handcarts loaded to the hilt with pkgs, through an area choked with people. Do all mall people push 2 handcarts simultaneously? Does anyone else have a problem with this? I'd like to hear from Union and MGMT on this one please.

I push one and pull one. If I have a heavy load sometimes I tie two together and pull them. I think I get paid an extra 10 cent an hour for doubles. LOL

People in the mall hear you coming and get out of the way. Its harder around the holidays because the malls get more crowded.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
Most of the handtrucks are manufactured right here in Wichita, KS by a company called Harper Trucks phone number is 316-942-1381

tfinnegan

happy exupser
With all the damaged hand trucks out there, and the rewelded ones too, you would think the Safety team in the centers or the District Safety Dept would be concerned should an injury occur to an employee because of the damaged equipment they are being forced to use.

Damand a new hand truck...because you get hurt from a damaged or rewelded handtruck and it will be your fault for using it..

Remember the people sitting in the District Safety Office don't care that you have faulty equipment!

Signature Only

Blue in Brown
When I went full time 8 years ago there was a shortage of handcarts so I decided to buy my own.

Honeyman Aluminum Products
7715 N.E. 21st Ave
Portland, OR 97211
(508)285-6446

Their handcarts are made to order and they had a large contract with UPS for several years in the late 90's until it was axed due to unit cost. UPS started buying cheaper ones that aren't worth a hoot.

A Honeyman handcart can move 500 lbs easily and will last at least 5 years before requiring service. It can be returned to Honeyman and refurbished for about $100.00
Cost new is $300.00

I have 2 now and the spare is always on loan to another driver.
www.honeymandhandtrucks.com

rushfan

Who manufactures those p.o.s. dollies that aren't made by Silver Eagle? Anytime we get them in our hub, they are the first ones to be placed in outbound sets. The same goes with the s.c. trailers.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Steve, either way is acceptable and will work. You do not have to put the http (hyper text transfer protocol) as part of the URL in the address bar. In fact, you can leave off the www (world wide web) and it will still work.
I had trouble when I clicked that link, that's why I added the update. Thanks.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I had trouble when I clicked that link, that's why I added the update. Thanks.

Steve, either way is acceptable and will work. You do not have to put the http (hyper text transfer protocol) as part of the URL in the address bar. In fact, you can leave off the www (world wide web) and it will still work.
You probably had trouble with the link becuase of the spelling. There is an extra d in the link.

cclacy

Article 18, National Master Agreement

Section 14. Package Cars .......A package car will be equipped with a hand cart at the driver�s request.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

They are being "stolen" because the company has made a business decision to refuse to follow the contract language and provide an adequate number of hand carts.

Its not rocket science. If a given facility has x number of package cars then they need x number of handcarts, plus a couple extra as spares, for customer counter, clerks etc.

Like many UPS locations, you probably have some tight-assed finance manager who wont spend a nickel without rubbing it for a month or two, and this finance manager is ignorant of the contract that his company entered into. Educate this man by filing grievances, thereby helping him to develop and maintain a "sense of urgency" towards doing his job...which is to provide you with the tools you need to do yours.

That's a great point. My center manager told me today that they ordered 14 new ones and 2 arrived today. I hope the 2 are just early and not their answer to their request for 14.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
When I went full time 8 years ago there was a shortage of handcarts so I decided to buy my own.

Honeyman Aluminum Products
7715 N.E. 21st Ave
Portland, OR 97211
(508)285-6446

Their handcarts are made to order and they had a large contract with UPS for several years in the late 90's until it was axed due to unit cost. UPS started buying cheaper ones that aren't worth a hoot.

A Honeyman handcart can move 500 lbs easily and will last at least 5 years before requiring service. It can be returned to Honeyman and refurbished for about $100.00
Cost new is $300.00

I have 2 now and the spare is always on loan to another driver.

While I admire your devotion to duty, I question the wisdom of spending $600 of your own hard-earned money for a piece of equipment that the company is contractually obligated to provide for you.

Would you be willing to spend $600 of your own money on fuel, or tires for your package car?

If the company is unwilling to provide a handcart...then file a grievance and work without one until the grievance is heard. If that means carrying 400 packages 1 at a time, then so be it. If that causes you to be over 9.5, then file on that also. If it causes missed stops or other service falures....oh well.

Dustyroads

WW Grainger sells some really nice aluminum two wheelers (you call em dollies). They are really better that many of the UPS models, lighter, stronger, better tires.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
The latest version in our building weighed 67lbs and had the extra wide tongue that didn't support the smaller pkgs. You can tell there was a lot of brainstorming to get those bad boys.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
The latest version in our building weighed 67lbs and had the extra wide tongue that didn't support the smaller pkgs. You can tell there was a lot of brainstorming to get those bad boys.

I hate those things. What good is a carry aid that that is harder to move around than what you're trying to carry.