UPS's dolly manufacturer

SmithBarney

UPS dolly

I miss the ups dollies cause they had the two metal bars that let you pull it into the truck.
or the handle that worked great as an anchor on the bumper as you filled it
and the short flip out section to carry larger loads...

edd_tv

Cardboard picker upper
Our mall route doesnt use a hand cart. There is a a store right by the entrance that we have a flat bed type cart. We store it in there back room and pick it up everyday when we use it. It holds so much more stuff on it.

our mall route has a flatbed 6 wheel cart that we lock to a fence outside with a chain and combo lock. on the other side of the same mall in one of the service hallways we have one that is locked the same way but the con-way guy figured out that if you take the rail that the chain is attached to off of the cart(its the handle on the end and it slides up to be removed easily) he can use it. i caught him with it the last time i ran that route. it was funny how he had gone thru all that trouble to use our cart instead of using his own pallet jack, that would have fitted where he was delivering.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
The Honeyman brand aluminum handcarts we have now are the shizzle; I have been beating the crap out of mine for about 7 years now and its still going strong. I load mine up in the back of the pkg car and slide it out off of the back bumper with up to 200 lbs on it. Years ago we had the old green steel ones that we called "iron maidens"...they were heavy and the skids on the back were too short to slide off of bumpers or steps. I probably broke 10 of those POS's before the aluminum ones came out.

Signature Only

Blue in Brown
While I admire your devotion to duty, I question the wisdom of spending $600 of your own hard-earned money for a piece of equipment that the company is contractually obligated to provide for you.

Would you be willing to spend $600 of your own money on fuel, or tires for your package car?

If the company is unwilling to provide a handcart...then file a grievance and work without one until the grievance is heard. If that means carrying 400 packages 1 at a time, then so be it. If that causes you to be over 9.5, then file on that also. If it causes missed stops or other service falures....oh well.
Yes that was $600.00 of my hard-earned money for a piece of equipment that UPS was contractually obligated to provide for me.

It was tax deductible. I filed several grievances and the company did provide new handcarts. Those big bulky things that I didn't like. They have a life span of 6 to 12 months and are double the weight of a Honeyman. Since it was my back at stake, I decided to spend my own money and get the best. If I'm going to use a piece of equipment instead of my body for the next 10 to 15 years, why not get something that will provide the highest degree of protection. Or I can use a company provided piece of crap and spend my weekends with a sore back and my working days on disability. It's not a sign of weakness, it's an investment toward a healthy retirement. Your health is everything, without it you have nothing... not even a multi-million dollar disability settlement can change that.

Signature Only

Blue in Brown
:happy2:And devotion to duty is just a part of it. The main part is saving wear and tear on my body. With the best equipment you can provide the best service with minimum stress on your frame.

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
Here's a side note about the Handtruck/Dolly debate. How is it that our mall guy feels he has to push 2 of those carts that fold out into wagons? Surely there is some sort of safety issue involved when one person is pushing 2 handcarts loaded to the hilt with pkgs, through an area choked with people. Do all mall people push 2 handcarts simultaneously? Does anyone else have a problem with this? I'd like to hear from Union and MGMT on this one please.

A few of the guys who deliver to Northtown Mall over here in Spokane have flat carts that are left at the mall under lock and key. They have the convertible hand truck as well that turn into flat carts. It's driver preference apparently. Like all things UPS if he hurts himself at all, it's his fault. But I'm sure if they didn't push two carts, they'd be delivering businesses until 7 in the pm.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
A few of the guys who deliver to Northtown Mall over here in Spokane have flat carts that are left at the mall under lock and key. They have the convertible hand truck as well that turn into flat carts. It's driver preference apparently. Like all things UPS if he hurts himself at all, it's his fault. But I'm sure if they didn't push two carts, they'd be delivering businesses until 7 in the pm.
Hmmmm, maybe they'd have to put another driver on?