UPS's Record-Smashing Day

Discussion in 'The Latest UPS Headlines' started by cheryl, Oct 26, 2013.

1. cheryl

cheryl I started this. Staff Member

UPS's Record-Smashing Day - Motley Fool

In just one day this year -- Monday, Dec. 16, to be exact -- UPS (NYSE: UPS ) expects to move a record 34 million packages through its system.

That works out to about 1.5 million deliveries per hour, or an incredible 23,611 packages each minute.

2. upschuck

upschuck Avatar bet gone wrong

Wednesday is always the heaviest day in my center, I predict the 18th will be heavier. Plus with the weekend ordering, how could UPS think that Monday would be the heaviest?

3. gman042

gman042 Been around the block a few times

This very moment, UPS has a crack team of scientists working on the theory of time and relativity to slow down the passage of time in order to cram more deliveries into a work day.

4. bmwmc

bmwmc Active Member

I wonder how much of UPS "growth" has been in the ARS RS service? I know I pick up at least 10 on average every day. Multiplied across the country its has to be over a million packages. That's about 8% of total package volume. The RS ARS service is a flat rate price. Its not charged the same as a dimensional weight or scaled weight package from a commercial account. How much of the increased revenue are cost cuts done off the backs of management?

5. JL 0513

JL 0513 Well-Known Member

Yeah, a Monday seems odd. That's the day we (at least my center) cut routes. Which means we always get added splits we don't get the rest of the week.