Upstate is not perfect after all.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
We have a trailerhood that has been put on the 'NO DR' list. I had 2 empty dish return boxes for a customer in the trailerhood the other day. Of course the customer wasn't home and I couldn't see my way to bringing these back as send agains. I signed "empty dish boxes", clarified "empty dish boxes" and left them at the customers door. I told my OR what I did. He said, "Thank you.". :happy-very:

You did the right thing in the "real world"...in the ups world you just signed for those packages(read:falsify signature) and if you had a sh** head manager he could put you out of service for that and make you sweat it out. In the old days we were taught to run our routes like our own business and usually mgt would have your back if you wernt a liar, thief or cheat. Now there is No trust towards mgt mostly because of all of the idiotic bs that has come down from 10 levels above any center manager. We cant make a damn decision anymore. An oncar or center manager cant make 90% of the decisions that they use to without being threatened out of a job...it shouldnt be that way, just another sign of a hostile workplace.

DS

Fenderbender
We have a trailerhood that has been put on the 'NO DR' list. I had 2 empty dish return boxes for a customer in the trailerhood the other day. Of course the customer wasn't home and I couldn't see my way to bringing these back as send agains. I signed "empty dish boxes", clarified "empty dish boxes" and left them at the customers door. I told my OR what I did. He said, "Thank you.". :happy-very:
Dilli,take a few minutes in the morning to talk with your accounts rep he has the ability to make the customer realize that these should be driver release.
It will save them money plus make your job easier.We had the same problem with HP sending out empty boxes for laptop repairs.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Dilli,take a few minutes in the morning to talk with your accounts rep he has the ability to make the customer realize that these should be driver release.
It will save them money plus make your job easier.We had the same problem with HP sending out empty boxes for laptop repairs.
I think you are mis understanding. Even if these were shipped as driver release we can't DR them because mgt has put a NO DR for the whole trailerhood because of claims. We have to get a signature for EVERYTHING that is shipped to this address.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
I think you are mis understanding. Even if these were shipped as driver release we can't DR them because mgt has put a NO DR for the whole trailerhood because of claims. We have to get a signature for EVERYTHING that is shipped to this address.
What do you do with "basic" packages? I always have to leave a delivery notice to get signed for reattempt the following day. There should be an override in the system for basic parcels!

menotyou

bella amicizia
We have 'those' type of trailer parks, too.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
What do you do with "basic" packages? I always have to leave a delivery notice to get signed for reattempt the following day. There should be an override in the system for basic parcels!
EVERYTHING gets a signature, regardless (signed info notices are ok). I circumvented the NO DR because the pkgs were DISH return boxes but that was NOT the normal course of action and would never do this for any other pkg.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

you didnt follow the methods since you took the package to the persons work....and the package was suppose to go to the consignees house. The wine package cannot be delivered anywhere except the address on the package...so you friend'ed up twice...your lucky you only received a little "im disappointed in you upstate..you let the customer down" talk; some drivers would probably be taken out of service from their a hole mgt team.

I called the consignee and asked him what time he would be home. It just so happened that he works at a retail store (Micheal's) which is right next door to one of my pickups (Staples). I asked him if it would be OK if I brought it to him there and he quickly said yes. I did not indirect the package. I sheeted it as addressed, he signed and I then typed in "left at Micheals" in the remarks.

Are you telling me that if you had a customer who both lived and worked on your area and you had a signature required package that you wouldn't deliver it to them at their job "because the package is suppose to go to the consignees house"? I guess you and I have a different definition of the term "customer service".

menotyou

bella amicizia
No. He has a different understanding of "Working as Directed." Not, "Work as Directed, Unless, You are Upstate." Had Mr. T, in the Salt City,had a hair out of place in his morning conference call, you would have a warning letter in your file, at a minimum.

Johney

EVERYTHING gets a signature, regardless (signed info notices are ok). I circumvented the NO DR because the pkgs were DISH return boxes but that was NOT the normal course of action and would never do this for any other pkg.
You could have overridden the no DR or used the release number button both would let you leave the pkg w/o using the signature mode.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

No. He has a different understanding of "Working as Directed." Not, "Work as Directed, Unless, You are Upstate." Had Mr. T, in the Salt City,had a hair out of place in his morning conference call, you would have a warning letter in your file, at a minimum.

The guy wasn't getting off work until 9pm. The first attempt was on a Thursday (NI1) and the second, which I screwed up, was on a Friday, which means the consignee had to wait until Monday to receive his wine. (When I went to retrieve the pkg they told me they had tried 3 times to bring it to him but that he was never home) When I retrieved the pkg and reattempted he wasn't home so I decided to call him to make arrangements to get the pkg to him. Would you have preferred that I leave an info notice and then try again the following day knowing full well that he wouldn't be home again? I sent an ODS telling them that I had the package and that I would be bringing it to him at his work. They said that would be fine and thanked me for doing so.

I knew when I started this thread that I would get flamed and that's fine. I screwed up and was trying to make it right for the customer, which I feel I did by calling him and making arrangements to bring the pkg to him at his work.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You could have overridden the no DR or used the release number button both would let you leave the pkg w/o using the signature mode.

It sounds as thought there is a note in CPAD or a mgt directive for this trailer park requiring the signatures. There is nothing in the DIAD that would override the tracking number and not allow driver release. IMO she did the right thing.

menotyou

bella amicizia
All I am saying is, some of us have different rules to work under, which you never believe when we say as much. I does not matter what I would like to do. I doesn't matter what I think about customer service. Those decisions have been taken from me. Very specifically by a labor sup in Syr. who told me to do my job as directed and let them manage. If that is how they want it, so be it. I have no problem giving out center manager's #, Syracuse's #, building #, anything to ensure the customer can speak with the person who can make that decision.
You would not work as you do in Syracuse. Luckily for you, You are on the fringe of the DM's area. Being off or on the radar has nothing to do with it.
You did indirect the package. It was not delivered to the address specified on the package, I don't care how you sheeted it.
Making up your own rules could be construed as above the radar.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

What was the address on the package, Dave? Where did you deliver it, Dave?

The address on the pkg was the same as was entered in the DIAD. I used the remarks column to explain the "indirect", which was approved by my center manager.

Bottom line--consignee received their package, accepted my apology and appreciated both the phone call and reattempt.

If I know where someone lives and where they work and have a sig req I will most certainly do what I can to take care of the customer.

This is my last word on this subject.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Your last word or not, is inmaterial. Had someone else done this and gotten in trouble for it, you would be the first to jump ugly all over them.

Johney

It sounds as thought there is a note in CPAD or a mgt directive for this trailer park requiring the signatures. There is nothing in the DIAD that would override the tracking number and not allow driver release. IMO she did the right thing.
What I mean is when you hit "DR" and the screen pops up and tells you "No DR". You can if it is Basic or shipper release hit the shipper release button on that same screen or if you want to override the no "DR" screen you can. In the address screen highlight the number hit enter so it's on the street name then hit override button,enter,enter, big arrow down and the No "DR" will disappear. We were told to use the release number button for all no "DR" stops when they are Basic or Shipper release.

menotyou

bella amicizia
I would have brought it to him at his work also.

My call. If they want to beat me for it, I can take it.
If you are allowed, then you should do so. As I said, that decision was specifically taken from me. Taken. If that's how they want the show to go, so be it. My head hurts from banging it against the wall of inexcusable disregard. "here's the number of the center, ma'am. If they send me a message across the Diad, I will accomodate. They are the bosses. I work for them."