Upstate is not perfect after all.

Borderline 9.5

The address on the pkg was the same as was entered in the DIAD. I used the remarks column to explain the "indirect", which was approved by my center manager.

Bottom line--consignee received their package, accepted my apology and appreciated both the phone call and reattempt.

If I know where someone lives and where they work and have a sig req I will most certainly do what I can to take care of the customer.

This is my last word on this subject.

The customer is the one who shipped the package not the one receiving it. The package that you indirectly delivered states in the alert that it can not be left at another location. The fact that the diad wont let you do this should be a clue. That's the reason you left a note in the remarks column.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The customer is the one who shipped the package not the one receiving it. The package that you indirectly delivered states in the alert that it can not be left at another location. The fact that the diad wont let you do this should be a clue. That's the reason you left a note in the remarks column.

I will type slowly and use little words just for you:

The package was signed for by the consignee at his place of employment. He showed me his ID to confirm it was him. I put "LA Micheals" in remarks to CYA. This is called "customer service" where I come from.

I'm sure he will have some excuse that makes absolutely no sense, except to him.

I will use even smaller words for you:

See above.

Re-Raise

What I mean is when you hit "DR" and the screen pops up and tells you "No DR". You can if it is Basic or shipper release hit the shipper release button on that same screen or if you want to override the no "DR" screen you can. In the address screen highlight the number hit enter so it's on the street name then hit override button,enter,enter, big arrow down and the No "DR" will disappear. We were told to use the release number button for all no "DR" stops when they are Basic or Shipper release.

Never heard of this but I can't wait to try it.

over9five

Staff member
I believe the intent of the "no alternate delivery" message is so you don't give the package to anyone other than the consignee.

I'm a big fan of working as directed, but come on. Upstate delivered it to the consignee.

Didn't we close this thread yet??

bigbrownhen

Dilli there is a way to release Basic(shipper release) at a NO DR location. Release as a normal stop, when the prompt pops up, to the left of the screen is RelNum, hit the button under it and enter. Away you go. We were told in a PCM to do this.

old levi's

blank space
I will type slowly and use little words just for you:

The package was signed for by the consignee at his place of employment. He showed me his ID to confirm it was him. I put "LA Micheals" in remarks to CYA. This is called "customer service" where I come from.

I will use even smaller words for you:

See above.

I thought #75 was going to be your last word! The only damn reason you started this thread was to draw attention to yourself. Quite sad actually. Faded thinks Upstate is an attention whore!

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I called the consignee and asked him what time he would be home. It just so happened that he works at a retail store (Micheal's) which is right next door to one of my pickups (Staples). I asked him if it would be OK if I brought it to him there and he quickly said yes. I did not indirect the package. I sheeted it as addressed, he signed and I then typed in "left at Micheals" in the remarks.

Are you telling me that if you had a customer who both lived and worked on your area and you had a signature required package that you wouldn't deliver it to them at their job "because the package is suppose to go to the consignees house"? I guess you and I have a different definition of the term "customer service".
If I knew where the customer lived and worked I would take it to the customer, where ever might be the most appropriate. :happy-very:

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
The guy wasn't getting off work until 9pm. The first attempt was on a Thursday (NI1) and the second, which I screwed up, was on a Friday, which means the consignee had to wait until Monday to receive his wine. (When I went to retrieve the pkg they told me they had tried 3 times to bring it to him but that he was never home) When I retrieved the pkg and reattempted he wasn't home so I decided to call him to make arrangements to get the pkg to him. Would you have preferred that I leave an info notice and then try again the following day knowing full well that he wouldn't be home again? I sent an ODS telling them that I had the package and that I would be bringing it to him at his work. They said that would be fine and thanked me for doing so.

I knew when I started this thread that I would get flamed and that's fine. I screwed up and was trying to make it right for the customer, which I feel I did by calling him and making arrangements to bring the pkg to him at his work.
As far as I am concerned, you made it right. As far as MY sup is concerned, he would have said, "Thank you.".:its_all_good:

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
It sounds as thought there is a note in CPAD or a mgt directive for this trailer park requiring the signatures. There is nothing in the DIAD that would override the tracking number and not allow driver release. IMO she did the right thing.
Yep, you got it. And thank you. :happy-very:

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I believe the intent of the "no alternate delivery" message is so you don't give the package to anyone other than the consignee.

I'm a big fan of working as directed, but come on. Upstate delivered it to the consignee.

Didn't we close this thread yet??
Exactly the point. We make deliveries to customers all the time, on the road when they come to meet us. Some of those are signature required (which is why they are coming to meet us for the most part). There is NO difference between having a customer come meet us over meeting the customer at work.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Dilli there is a way to release Basic(shipper release) at a NO DR location. Release as a normal stop, when the prompt pops up, to the left of the screen is RelNum, hit the button under it and enter. Away you go. We were told in a PCM to do this.
I will have to write this down as I will NEVER remember this an hour from now. :surprised:

CharleyHustle

What if the receiver works at a school? What if its a hand gun? What if the guy forgets to take his wine home and a couple of stockboys find it? What if the receiver denies the signature? Very long odds for sure, but if something happens and GPS shows we delivered it to an alternate address you could be opening up yourself and the company to some liability.

I have a guy who runs a gun shop out of his home and when he is not there he wants me to deliver them to his relatives house on the other side of town, I politely decline.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I think what everybody is missing, but in reality already knows, is that UpState didn't start this thread to humble himself. Nor did he start this thread to open a debate on alternate delivery methods. What he wants, is what he always wants, to show that he is better than everybody else.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I think what everybody is missing, but in reality already knows, is that UpState didn't start this thread to humble himself. Nor did he start this thread to open a debate on alternate delivery methods. What he wants, is what he always wants, to show that he is better than everybody else.

What he wants is to show everyone that he is human and does make mistakes. That was the intent of this thread. Dave.

HomeDelivery

K the 1st part of OP's post is resolved...

waitamin, if that's his regular route & knows his customers well enough to indirectly deliver to the customer's workplace, what is wrong with that? He verified the consignee with their ID & knows that they won't file a complaint against him...

I had a wine parcel that I got to their business after closing time; the consignee left a note with their phone number. I called it & their home is only a block away. in my scanner, I can also edit address as well as add "at customer's request" or something similar. Verified with their ID & let them sign the scanner.

I had a few of those customers like that as well (they chased me down too) & I'll ask for the "sorry we missed you" doortag as well as their ID to verify them.

There's also that service where they'll hold the parcel at the closest UPS store/ FedEx office/ or HUB for customer pickup/ will call... so you won't have to take it out for a 2nd or 3rd attempt

Guns, on the other hand, I agree that it'll be no indirect delivery & will mention the above service if they won't be at home to receive/directly sign for them

It's all about driver discretion & knowing your customers.