Upstate looking for a new laptop--any suggestions?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

At least on Amazon and BestBuy's website, the customer reviews on Push2TV don't seem too promising. I'm always on the lookout for a good streaming solution so I can cut down on the wires I have running everywhere but I'm gonna wait a bit on this one, see if they can get some of the bugs worked out.

Turns out the laptop that I bought does not support Push2TV. You have to have Intel Centrino Wi-Fi or a simillar network card and the price for that laptop was about twice what I paid for the one I just ordered. I thought it would be cool to have what I am surfing online display on my big screen but not at double the price.

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
Do you have a wii? It can be used to display the internet on your tv via wifi. The user interface is clumsy and pageloads are kind of slow, but I know it does work because we tried it a couple of times. They also can be used to stream netflix from the internet to your tv, but we haven't tried that yet...

klein

Für Meno :)
Turns out the laptop that I bought does not support Push2TV. You have to have Intel Centrino Wi-Fi or a simillar network card and the price for that laptop was about twice what I paid for the one I just ordered. I thought it would be cool to have what I am surfing online display on my big screen but not at double the price.

If your laptop has an HDMI output, thats all you need to hook it up to TV (via HDMI cable).

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

If your laptop has an HDMI output, thats all you need to hook it up to TV (via HDMI cable).

That is just for using your laptop as a Blu-Ray player. I am talking about the TV taking the place of the laptop screen while surfing online.

Cheryl, my son uses his X-Box for Netflix and loves it.

klein

Für Meno :)
That is just for using your laptop as a Blu-Ray player. I am talking about the TV taking the place of the laptop screen while surfing online.

No, it's not ! Just because of you, I finally tried it for the first time ever !
I had this browncafe page on my 53" screen HDTV , by just using the HDMI output .

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Wireless would be the way to go for a laptop, but I would want it going to my receiver instead of directly to my TV. I've got a full size rig hooked up to my home theater receiver so it outputs the video to my big screen and the audio through my Polk speaker system. The bottleneck on the laptop would probably be the integrated video, I can see it choking trying to put out an uncompressed HD stream at 1080p. That was another issue I saw with the Push2TV, it only supported up to 720p.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Thanks to cosmictrucker I bought for $367 (including tax and shipping)

Inspiron Desktop 560 Mini-Tower (scratch and Dent price)
Intel Core 2 Duo Processor - (2.8GHz, 3M, L2Cache, 1066FSB)
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium
750 GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cache
6 GB DDR3 SDRAM 1066MHz (3 DIMMs)
16X DVD +/- RW w/dbl layer write capability

Current desktop runs at 1.8 on a single processor with 2 gig ram and has been choking.
I been looking around for a couple of weeks and nothing came close to this deal.
I don't do gaming so this should be great for Internet and Graphic/photo processing.

Thanks again Cosmic (and Dave for starting this thread)

Big Babooba

I just placed my order:

Inspiron 17-1764 $489 less 20% free shipping plus 8% state tax $422.50

It has the new Intel Core i3-350M processor which will allow me to use my laptop wirelessly with my HD TV as the monitor (with separate adapter) and Windows 7 Home Premium.

It is certified refurbished.

I will bring my current and new laptops to Staples and have them transfer files. I am their daily P/U driver so hopefully they will hook me up and do this for free.

cosmic, thanks for the tip on the coupon. Saved $100 which will pay for the adapter.
Congratulations on your purchase. You might be interested to know that Big Babooba Enterprises has held the contract to refurbish all irregular Inspirons for the past 5 years. You have made a wise choice and will get years of use out of your computer. Because you are on our "Preferred Customer List" please enjoy this video of YOUR Inspiron 17's refurbishing.

[video=youtube;8PGPjlkKm8k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PGPjlkKm8k&feature=related[/video]