Upstate NY Pension Fund changes?

UpsYours

Has anyone heard of any poss. changes to the upstate ny fund.Heard big changes coming .some say we are going toward what new England just did with UPS???

S

serenity now

wait for the upstate to wake up * you will find out more than you ever wanted to know

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

"Here I come to save the day...."

I have not heard of any changes to our pension fund. I have recommended on several occasions that our minimum pension credit hours be increased from 1000 to 1800, with a sliding scale of pension credits for hours worked between 1000 and 1800, in an effort to discourage "dead days". I would love to see UPS take the Mass Pike west to the NYS Thruway to the pension fund office in Syracuse and take over our pension fund.

trickpony1

"Here I come to save the day...."

I have not heard of any changes to our pension fund. I have recommended on several occasions that our minimum pension credit hours be increased from 1000 to 1800, with a sliding scale of pension credits for hours worked between 1000 and 1800, in an effort to discourage "dead days". I would love to see UPS take the Mass Pike west to the NYS Thruway to the pension fund office in Syracuse and take over our pension fund.

Be careful what you wish for.
1800 is almost twice the 1000 hours required.
Do you give a flip about your fellow employees who are in the later years of their career and can't walk from the repeated trauma of jumping in and out of that pkg car all day long?
You will be in their shoes some day and will wonder how you're gonna make it to retirement (your Superman personna is just a fantasy).

I guess the next question is: "do you think about the consequences of your actions or do you just blunder through life?"

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

From what I have read on this forum 1000 hours seems awfully low. I used 1800 as an example---I believe that is what the New England Pension Fund has. I believe that they also have a sliding scale for partial pension credit based on hours worked between 1000 and 1800. Raising it to 1800 would discourage the use of "dead days"---having the sliding scale would give the employee the option. We don't receive pension contributions for dead days.

I have 23 years in with 7 more to go. I have not taken a dead day since my ex and I separated in 1996. Yes, there are mornings that I wake up and simply don't want to go in, but I get dressed and go in because that is what we are supposed to do. I know that I will have no problem making it to retirement.

As for your question----it doesn't matter how I answer it as you have already formed your opinion.

trickpony1

we have to work 2080 hours for a full pension credit a year...

2080 divided by 40 hours in a week is 52 weeks.
Pension is paid on straight time hours only. Some people don't understand this.
What upstate doesn't seem to understand is the older drivers are getting beat to death and they are exhausted.
An occasional "dead day" isn't gonna break the bank and it just may be what the driver needs to prevent fatique and injuries (you remember injuries, those things the company thinks don't exist).

I thought our 1801 hours was bad. You guys are really getting screwed.

packageguy

yes, trust me, our local started this year 2080 for full pension credit, they are trying to stop guys from going home. And build up our pension. I would not lie, it is what it is. 2080 hours full pension credit.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Wait a minute-----you guys are at 1801 and you are giving me crap about suggesting that our pension fund go to 1800??

Does your pension fund have any type of sliding scale with partial pension year credits for hours worked above a minimum (1000?) but below the 1801? This would give the employee the option of taking dead days while still earning partial credit.

I fully understand injuries and the toll this job takes on our bodies. I also understand the need for a day off every now and then; in fact, I am off tomorrow. What I don't understand is drivers with paid days still on the books being allowed to take dead days. Use up all of your days first and then take as many dead days as you like as long as anyone who has paid days left gets preference on days off.

packageguy

remember, it's not fair. Somebody works say in your case 1000 hours. For a full pension credit and somebody works say 1900 hours and get the same pension. This way you work 2080 and you get full pension credit..

trickpony1

remember, it's not fair. Somebody works say in your case 1000 hours. For a full pension credit and somebody works say 1900 hours and get the same pension. This way you work 2080 and you get full pension credit..

Good luck.
I don't know how old you are or how many years you have left to retire.
Be careful and pace yourself to conserve your body.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
The western conference of teamsters pension is 2080 hours to receive a full year....do you guys think that the high hours have any correlation with the plan being in the green and almost fully funded.......

UpsYours

Thanks Upstate.im in the same boat as you little over 6 years to go myself.i was wondering and worrying that they are gonna srcew guys in our situation with between 20-25 years again. we missed out on the 25 or more years the last change they made to 30 and out 55 from 30 and out any age.Dont need them to raise the age anymore .still looking to go at 30 years at 52.the penalty to leave less that 55 is enough already

oldngray

nowhere special
Central States ( at my local anyway) is still 30 years and out at any age. We are worried we will lose that in the next contract so the past couple of years the majority of people with 30 years got out while they could. I got out with 34 years at age 52. I could have worked a little longer but in my opinion, take the money and run.

UpsYours

In our center there is way too much not working and not contributing into the pension fund.every hour a guy doesnt get paid he doesnt contribute to the pension fund.my feeling is that a guy that works every day and puts in his 2080 hours a year should no doubt get more out of his pension at retirement than a guy that works less.no reason not to work unless of course you are out on comp. or disability..i`m tired too just like every other UPS driver. its not easy..