UpstateNYUPSer and two-tier wages

anonymous4

He had been touting this garbage as being necessary for the synergistic survival of ups & union. As expected, the prediction was fallacious.

lol.gif

DorkHead

It`s not the first time he`s been wrong and won`t be the last. Also, this can be said for everyone that posts on this site.

InsideUPS

He had been touting this garbage as being necessary for the synergistic survival of ups & union. As expected, the prediction was fallacious.

Next contract Liquid Swords........after all... UPS was able to move us to the 4 year progression...so we do in essence have a multi-tier wage for a 4 year period.

Sad really....knowing that some of the individuals I know have been waiting 14 years to go full time driving.. probably will have to wait a year or two more....and then....wait 4 more years to make top rate. APPROXIMATELY a 20 year wait to make full time drivers wages..!!!!!

That same employee will work another 10 years full time and be eligible for a 30 year Partial Service Pension consisting of 2/3 of his part-time pension amount and 1/3 of the full time pension amount.

barnyard

KTM rider
Seeing as how none of us were at the negotiating table, none of us know what was proposed. I would not be surprised to see 2 tiered wages someday down the road. Railroaders said that they would never except it for engineers, but they did.

opie

Next contract Liquid Swords........after all... UPS was able to move us to the 4 year progression...so we do in essence have a multi-tier wage for a 4 year period. Sad really....knowing that some of the individuals I know have been waiting 14 years to go full time driving.. probably will have to wait a year or two more....and then....wait 4 more years to make top rate. APPROXIMATELY a 20 year wait to make full time drivers wages..!!!!! That same employee will work another 10 years full time and be eligible for a 30 year Partial Service Pension consisting of 2/3 of his part-time pension amount and 1/3 of the full time pension amount.
Probably the best option which many overlook is to get into a permanent PT air position. That way when you do go FT, you would stay at your rate if higher than the starting wage for FT, which if you're at top rate for air is much higher than the starting FT rate. So instead of getting the proposed $18.75 to start you would be red-circled at your air rate for four years.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Next contract Liquid Swords........after all... UPS was able to move us to the 4 year progression...so we do in essence have a multi-tier wage for a 4 year period.

Sad really....knowing that some of the individuals I know have been waiting 14 years to go full time driving.. probably will have to wait a year or two more....and then....wait 4 more years to make top rate. APPROXIMATELY a 20 year wait to make full time drivers wages..!!!!!

That same employee will work another 10 years full time and be eligible for a 30 year Partial Service Pension consisting of 2/3 of his part-time pension amount and 1/3 of the full time pension amount.

I think ups knows that many folks will be retiring in the next 5 years so they wanted to cash in on that....If they were hiring drivers, in general, in a year or 2 then the language makes SOME sense but we all know that is not the case.

reydluap

This TA han't been voted in yet...................maybe the next TA will have a two tier proposal in it...........just say'n.......

anonymous4

Probably the best option which many overlook is to get into a permanent PT air position. That way when you do go FT, you would stay at your rate if higher than the starting wage for FT, which if you're at top rate for air is much higher than the starting FT rate. So instead of getting the proposed $18.75 to start you would be red-circled at your air rate for four years.

To add an ounce of legitimacy to this waste of a thread, let's discuss this option. Over the years I've read two different sides to this on the brown cafe.

Scenerio: I drive Saturday air as a part-part timer. I top out in this category. Later on I go full-time driving. Do I start at the topped out air driving rate or do I go to the lower starting rate for new full-time. Most have said yes you do get red-circled but I recall a caveat.

'Lord Brown's bidding'

The only instance I have seen where one's salary slides back is when an employee transfers into a position whose top-rate is lower than his former craft's rate, eg. a driver transfering into an art 22.5 position. However, that only applies if the driver is at top-rate; if they are still in progression, they'd be red-circled.

opie

To add an ounce of legitimacy to this waste of a thread, let's discuss this option. Over the years I've read two different sides to this on the brown cafe.

Scenerio: I drive Saturday air as a part-part timer. I top out in this category. Later on I go full-time driving. Do I start at the topped out air driving rate or do I go to the lower starting rate for new full-time. Most have said yes you do get red-circled but I recall a caveat.

No I don't think so. Because your main job is inside in the hub, correct? Easy way to check is look at where it say "current pay rate" on your paycheck. If it's higher than the FT starting wage, then you keep your PT rate until progression catches up. You would have to change your PT classification by bidding on a Monday to Friday air driver job. If you already drive Saturday and are at top rate, you keep your rate if you are awarded a permanent air driving position.