US Marine's take on 'American Sniper' and his response to critics

wkmac

Saw the movie last weekend. Made me feel a little ashamed for all the complaining I've done on here! Very humbling.

Movies are not always a direct reflection of reality. They can add or subtract from the facts. What you might want to do now is read the book American Sniper and go from there with what you are feeling.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Movies are not always a direct reflection of reality. They can add or subtract from the facts. What you might want to do now is read the book American Sniper and go from there with what you are feeling.

In hindsight it may have been better to have read the book before going to see the movie.

I really enjoyed the movie. It was much less about the blood and gore but more about the way that time spent on the front lines can change a person. When I was overseas I couldn't wait to get home and see my wife. Chris came home and the first thing he did was go to a bar. When he finally went home he couldn't wait to go back as that had become his identity.

I am going to watch "Black or White", which is the new Kevin Costner movie that may cause as much controversy, for very different reasons, as "An American Sniper" did.

oldngray

nowhere special
All movies alter details for entertainment purposes. Eastwood admitted and pointed out the changes he made from the book. It was never intended to be a documentary but to convey the general situations while showing Kyle's emotional state. It was a movie about PTSD.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

All movies alter details for entertainment purposes. Eastwood admitted and pointed out the changes he made from the book. It was never intended to be a documentary but to convey the general situations while showing Kyle's emotional state. It was a movie about PTSD.

Chris Kyle's father met with Eastwood prior to the movie being filmed and politely but firmly told him that there would be consequences if he (Eastwood) tarnished his (Kyle's) reputation/image.