US solider freed from captivity in Afghanistan

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
The only American solider held prisoner in Afghanistan has been freed and is back in U.S. custody after nearly five years of captivity, U.S. officials said Saturday.
click

bbsam

Staff member
Wow. I've heard reports over the years. I thought for sure he'd never see the States or his family ever again.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
There are some rumors circulating among the grunts that he walked over and is a traitor.
I wouldn't put much stock in that, but he's going to get a pretty thorough debriefing and we'll probably get the whole story at some point. I'm glad we got him back, I can't imagine how relieved his family must be feeling.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Yeah, I've heard/read a lot of stuff like that and it's certainly possible that he intended to desert. The traitor talk seems a bit much though. Like I said I'm comfortable waiting for the army's conclusion after they debrief him.

moreluck

golden ticket member
"In a statement, President Barack Obama said Bergdahl’s recovery “is a reminder of America’s unwavering commitment to leave no man or woman in uniform behind on the battlefield.”

Comical when you think of "B"

They got 5 of their most bad characters in trade. Americans somewhere will pay for that where, only time will tell.

bbsam

Staff member
I think the five will probably be given the opportunity to watch "Zero Dark Thirty" and videos of drone strikes...just for something to think about day in and day out.

av8torntn

There are some rumors circulating among the grunts
"In a statement, President Barack Obama said Bergdahl’s recovery “is a reminder of America’s unwavering commitment to leave no man or woman in uniform behind on the battlefield.”

They got 5 of their most bad characters in trade. Americans somewhere will pay for that where, only time will tell.

I thought they were still going to be jailed just not in Gitmo.

moreluck

golden ticket member
"The United States is transferring five detainees from the prison in Guantanamo Bay to Qatar,” Mr. Obama said. “The Qatari government has given us assurances that it will put in place measures to protect our national security.”

And he believes them ?????????!!!!!!!!!!!

av8torntn

"The United States is transferring five detainees from the prison in Guantanamo Bay to Qatar,” Mr. Obama said. “The Qatari government has given us assurances that it will put in place measures to protect our national security.”

And he believes them ?????????!!!!!!!!!!!

Is there reason to not?

Harry Manback

Robot Extraordinaire
Let me say, I'm glad he's coming home. I'm proud of him for enlisting. I'm proud of him for deploying with his unit and having the courage to do so knowing what price he might pay for doing so.

I have reservations, however with his release. From the beginning of our country's "War on Terror", our presidents have assured us; "We will not negotiate with terrorists". Yet, here we are, giving up the 5 most senior Taliban operatives for 1 guy.

Believe me, I support our troops. My father-in-law has deployed to both Afghanistan and Iraq. They have my upmost respect and admiration.

My point is, if we tell the world we won't negotiate with these savages, then do something like this. Aren't we showing our weakness? Aren't we showing the world that were not serious?

Qatar will let these "enemy combatants" leave the country and they'll run like hell to Pakistan. They'll fight another day. There's a good chance, they'll spill more of our country men's blood.

Will we have won or lost?

Sent using a Potato

728ups

All Trash No Trailer

so you don't think this soldiers life is worth trading the five for? I'm betting if he were your son,or in your case your grandson you'd see things a bit differently.

NICE swipe at our president,Stay Classy Moreluck!

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
"We don't negotiate with terrorists" makes a good sound byte but absolutes are never universally applicable, you have to be pragmatic. There are times when it's in our interests not to negotiate, and there are times when we have to cut a deal to get what we want. The Israelis have as much as experience dealing with terrorism as anyone and they have always been willing to negotiate if that's what it took to get their people back. They've traded hundreds of prisoners just to get back a set of remains. Five of their guys for one of ours seems like a good deal to me, I don't have a problem with it.

oldngray

nowhere special
In exchange for Army Sgt. Bowe Berghdahl, the U.S. has released five senior Taliban commanders from the Guantanamo Bay prison. They are considered some of the worst of the worst.
The five Guantanamo detainees released by the Obama administration in exchange for America’s last prisoner of war in Afghanistan, Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl, are bad guys.

moreluck

golden ticket member
so you don't think this soldiers life is worth trading the five for? I'm betting if he were your son,or in your case your grandson you'd see things a bit differently.

NICE swipe at our president,Stay Classy Moreluck!
The message received by terrorists is.......... it's OK to kidnap Americans!!

(Oh, by the way you are using my Benghazi logic....if the ambassador was Chelsea, Hillary would've behaved differently)
Nice work, grasshopper!