Use of Social Network Information to Discipline/Terminate Employees

Is it OK to discipline based on social network media information?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

A growing number of major employers are monitoring social network sites and using information gathered to discipline and/or terminate their employees. Many of these companies, including UPS, have issued social media guidelines to their employees outlining what is acceptable and what is not.

I have no problem with employers disciplining and/or terminating employees based on information gathered from social media networks. I don't facebook but if I did I wouldn't post anything there that I wouldn't say face-to-face. I also wouldn't post anything that would/could portray my employer in a negative way.

over9five

Staff member
Lately current events in our country have me thinking "Obey" all the time. Big Brother is everywhere.

Life constantly reminds me of that movie.... the name escapes me.... but the guy puts on special glasses, and he can see what all the signs and billboards really say. "Obey"......"Submit to Authority"...
That's what THEY'RE saying, and that's what WE'RE doing. A nation of wussies, that's what we're becoming.

Wifey knew.... They Live

bbsam

Staff member
Seems to me that social media can have any kind of social flavor whether bar room or kitchen table. This comes too close to thought police.

moreluck

golden ticket member
"... A nation of wussies, that's what we're becoming..."

And this is why I MUST rebel, even in my old age.

A quick 'for instance'.....

In our CC&Rs it says we "can't have holiday lights until 30 days prior to the holiday." Well, in trying to be sooooo politically correct by saying 'holiday' instead of Christmas, they failed to specify which holiday.....I put my lights up early saying that Thanksgiving is definitely a holiday!! They never specified which holiday.

Ever the rebel so as not to be a wussie !!

over9five

Staff member
I have no problem with employers disciplining and/or terminating employees based on information gathered from social media networks.

How about if you posted that you really support President Obama, and your boss hated him? Is it still ok for him to fire you?
It may seem like an extreme example, but that's what it's coming to.

How far are you willing to allow THEM to squash your opinion?

Submit.

over9five

Staff member
"... A nation of wussies, that's what we're becoming..."

And this is why I MUST rebel, even in my old age.

A quick 'for instance'.....

In our CC&Rs it says we "can't have holiday lights until 30 days prior to the holiday." Well, in trying to be sooooo politically correct by saying 'holiday' instead of Christmas, they failed to specify which holiday.....I put my lights up early saying that Thanksgiving is definitely a holiday!! They never specified which holiday.

Ever the rebel so as not to be a wussie !!

They will show up and tell you Submit to Authority.

(I quoted this so Upstate will see it...........YW!)

over9five

Staff member
I was wondering if anyone would pick the "I don't use social network media" option.

Brown Cafe is social network media, is it not?

imagesCAIW0P71.jpg

Upstate: Mmmm mmmm mmmm mm ( Dammit 09, I told you to keep your mouth shut!)

09 : Mmmmm mmm mmm mm mm ( I am, what do you think this ball is for?!)
imagesCAIW0P71.jpg

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
that won't be feasible within the next 20 years, as the boomers die out

gen y is incapable of life without facebook and won't tolerate it, once they have power

Anything one posts, as long as it`s identified as only being ones opinion, should be free from any threat of discipline.

One of my FT sups at the CACH, in my opinion, is as incompetent as the day is long and I feel is a detriment to the success of the company.

bbsam

Staff member
that won't be feasible within the next 20 years, as the boomers die out

gen y is incapable of life without facebook and won't tolerate it, once they have power

Once they have the power they will become drunk with it and will expand it...just like previous generations.

bbsam

Staff member
Is this the natural progression of a nation that didn't care about warrantless wire taps? "Oh, but that's the government." And who do you think runs the government?