Used Uniforms

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
There is a simple solution to this foolishness.

Submit a uniform order. If your management team is unwilling or unable to fill it...then once you are out of clean uniforms just show up at your scheduled start time without a uniform, clock on in your personal clothing, and start getting paid. If they try to send you home, file a grievance for your guranteed 8 hrs. If they try to make you wear a dirty, torn or improperly fitting uniform that they dug out of a closet someplace, file a grievance on that. Repeat daily as needed. The company has both the ability and the contractual obligation to provide you with an adequate supply of suitable uniforms....you just need to give them the motivation. Being forced to pay you 8 hrs to sit in the office and do nothing will provide them with that motivation.

tworavens

JuniorMember for 24 Years
I've been trying to get replacement uniforms since March. Every month it's been the same story, "no money in the Center budget". Yesterday my OMS told he has was informed that there would be no new uniform orders for the rest of the year.

All my shorts have holes worn in them. The sleeves on my shirts are torn. No UPS logo on my jacket, also with holes. No one cares. I'm gonna slap some duct tape on there and see if that gets any result. I'm guessing not.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I've been trying to get replacement uniforms since March. Every month it's been the same story, "no money in the Center budget". Yesterday my OMS told he has was informed that there would be no new uniform orders for the rest of the year.

All my shorts have holes worn in them. The sleeves on my shirts are torn. No UPS logo on my jacket, also with holes. No one cares. I'm gonna slap some duct tape on there and see if that gets any result. I'm guessing not.

Article 16, Western Region Supplement

Uniforms

The Employer agrees that if any employee is required to wear any kind of uniform as a condition of employment, such uniforms shall be furnished and maintained by the Employer, free of charge, at the standard required by the Employer. Such uniforms shall be adequate to protect against climactic conditions. The Employer shall provide shirts and shorts to those affected employees....
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Article 23, Western Region supplement

Maintainence of Standards

The Employer agrees that all conditions of employment in his individual operations relating to wages, guranteed hours of work, overtime differentials and general working conditions shall be maintained at not less than the highest standards in affect at the time of the signing of this Agreement.....

--------------------------------------------------------------------

I successfully filed a grievance over a year ago to force the company to comply with the contract and provide me with requested uniform items. I havent had any problems since then.

Check your region supplement if you arent in the West. I am sure the language is similar.

Complaining wont do any good. You will have to use the grievance procedure to force the issue. The language is clear, the company is required to provide uniforms and there is a past practice of providing a reasonable number of items in good repair. Uniforms with holes in them are not adequate to protect against climactic conditions as specified in the contract. File a grievance.

You also have an 8 hr gurantee that applies whether you have a uniform or not. If there is "no money in the center budget" to give you a uniform, that fine... they will still be required to pay you for your 8 hrs while you sit in the office without one. A few consecutive days of this and I gurantee you they will somehow find a way to "afford" a uniform for you. The money is there; you just have to give them the "incentive" to be willing to spend it.