Using an option day sick day

upsman68

I need to use an option day on Jan 3rd. I put in for it on Dec 27th. On Dec 29th I got my request denied.

I have to take this day off I have a lot of personal business to attend to that can out be rearranged.

I try to be work with them but it seems every time I put in a request it is denied.

I told them I might have to call in but they said if you do we will bring you in the office on Tuesday and discipline you.

Any thoughts?

CustomerConcern

If you have days in the bank then they can't discipline you for using them. I would give your steward a heads up maybe they can go in an smooth things out for ya.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I need to use an option day on Jan 3rd. I put in for it on Dec 27th. On Dec 29th I got my request denied.

I have to take this day off I have a lot of personal business to attend to that can out be rearranged.

I try to be work with them but it seems every time I put in a request it is denied.

I told them I might have to call in but they said if you do we will bring you in the office on Tuesday and discipline you.

Any thoughts?

The stress and anguish of unresolved personal business has been known to make a person physically ill.

Just sayin'..................

UnconTROLLed

perfection
In the NE supplement, the contract says that your steward can investigate whether the denial was legitimate. It also says there is a 48 hour approve/deny time limit, make sure it was 48 hours or less of that. There may be something out there in your contract to help.

iowa boy

Any thoughts?

What are they gonna dicipline you for, being sick? I have yet to meet a supervisor, manager, or co-worker for that matter who has a medical degree and can decide if I am actually sick or not. If you need the day off, call out.

UPSSOCKS

What are they gonna dicipline you for, being sick? I have yet to meet a supervisor, manager, or co-worker for that matter who has a medical degree and can decide if I am actually sick or not. If you need the day off, call out.

He clearly states he is not sick.

raceanoncr

Not gonna go into what was right or wrong in this situation. Your local rider or supplement will probably dictate what you or your mangler team should have done.

BUT, if you do call in, DON'T LIE! No one can argue if you have personal issues to deal with. And that is all you need to say. If, on the other hand, you call in sick and are spotted engaging in some activity that an ill person would not be, then you might get called on lying.

Always be up front in all your dealings with management. You may not get things your way all the time but you will have peace of mind knowing you did the right thing. AND, you will never be disciplined for dishonesty, at least not rightly so.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Is there a chance that his mgt team could decide not to pay him the holiday pay for the 31st and 1st if he decides to bang in after being told he could not have the day off?

iowa boy

Is there a chance that his mgt team could decide not to pay him the holiday pay for the 31st and 1st if he decides to bang in after being told he could not have the day off?

It all depends on the supplement he is covered by. Central region supplement where I'm at says you must work the day before or the day after to be paid for holiday.

outta hours

Like advised by others, check your supplement. They are all different. Be nice if they were all the same.

In my local option days are not scheduled or approved ahead of time. Only requirement is to call in at least 1 hr. prior to your start time and inform them you are using one of your option days. Cannot be used against you, or be disciplined for using them. Good luck. Worse case ,call in that day and inform them you will not be in that day.

Be careful. In many areas, including mine management uses the new calendar year to try and implement "NEW" procedures for call ins, opt days, etc. Nothing has changed we are, and will be working under the same contract until 2013. No changes.

UPSGUY72

This is why when you need a day off you just call in and when you would like a day off you ask for a day off. In my building we don't have a problem with that situation the SUP will tell you sorry can't give you the day, if you need it off your going to have to call in.

Anyways as long as you don't have a history of calling in all the time go ahead and call in atleast on hour before your shift and just say you are booking off it is none of there business why then remember to book back on one hour before the next shift you want to work.

brownelf

no one has mentioned ART 15 of the contract, if you turned in req 8 days prior to the req day off(which you did) the company has 24hrs to deny the req.(which they didn't) talk to your steward..

Re-Raise

How can we not have enough drivers for a guy to get a day off on Jan 3rd ?????

We are running 10 fewer routes now than we were running the week before Christmas at my center.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
In my center all personals are being denied next week (might be building wide, not sure) because the volume is supposed to be super heavy.

tourists24

In my center all personals are being denied next week (might be building wide, not sure) because the volume is supposed to be super heavy.
that would be an interesting arguement.... no contract language allowing personal day denial because of heavy volume.

Re-Raise

Good....the volume part I mean... maybe they will put my route back on so I don't have this combination route mess.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
that would be an interesting arguement.... no contract language allowing personal day denial because of heavy volume.
Under our supplement management has the right to refuse/rescind personals, but if they do they have to pay you time and a half for all hours worked that day (assuming you would have gotten the day off under normal circumstances). If I had known in advance they were gonna do this, I would have put in a request for every day next week.