Using Personal Phones for Business

R

RuralRoute

So I noticed a new sign posted on the bulletin at the station on Friday concerning the use of personal cell phones for business. I have kind of assumed that this was "frowned upon", but didn't know that it is technically against policy according to the company. Almost every driver I know of has phone numbers of major business customers and even some residential customers.

Personally, I have several contacts in my phone as I was told by a more seasoned courier during training that this is very crucial to the job. And let me tell you, through my experience at least, this has been very helpful and beneficial to me, sometimes saving my butt. For example, a customer can contact me and let me know they will be in a certain area at a given time, allowing me to plan my route accordingly and meet them to save a stop later. Another example is a business letting me know how many packages they need picked up, or if they do not have a pickup for the day, or even if they are closing early and need me to swing by at a different time. Not to mention the customers that would rather not deal with calling in a pickup and would like to contact me instead.

I'm aware that we should only be contacting customers if we have a "FedEx issued phone", but how many of us have "FedEx issued phones"? Exactly. As stated above, customers have saved my butt from having lates or having to drive out of my way, so I feel that keeping in contact with them is vital for operations. Not sure of the legal aspect of this matter, if there is one, but is it really wrong to use our phones for this purpose?

l22

I'm aware that we should only be contacting customers if we have a "FedEx issued phone", but how many of us have "FedEx issued phones"? Exactly. As stated above, customers have saved my butt from having lates or having to drive out of my way, so I feel that keeping in contact with them is vital for operations. Not sure of the legal aspect of this matter, if there is one, but is it really wrong to use our phones for this purpose?

WAD. And yeah, I don't know any courier who has a company-issued phone. If they say don't use your phone don't use your phone - for customers or when managers call while on the clock since they'll blame you and say 'we put up a sign telling you not to use your phone' - which they did. I would tell your businesses to stop contacting you and contact Dispatch instead - only if you want to though. It is not your responsibility beyond WAD.

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
i'm sorta glad that CPC has came to the HD division; i haven't use my prepaid cellphone minutes for any job-related issues at all

i just send a text message, reference the tracking # and what i need from CPC to look up for me

for example, i was at a local shopping center which was on the box, but no suite number or business name... sent a text to CPC ahead of time (20 stops before i reach that address) & they replied after i knocked out 5 stops that it was Staples

dezguy

DO NOT USE YOUR PERSONAL PHONE FOR FEDEX BUSINESS! FedEx is a multinational, multi billion dollar business. If phones were so crucial to the job like that idiot "seasoned courier" told you, we would be issued one by FedEx. If anything happened to you at work while using your personal phone, you could be rest assured you would be thrown under the bus by your manager and the company. Besides, I don't know about you but I don't work to give money back to the company and by using your own personal phone and your own personal phone account, that is exactly what you are doing.

Using your phone for company business is just asking for trouble any way you stretch it.

CJinx

The scanner has the capability, but they won't enable it. I guess enough of you are willing to use your personal phones that it isn't worth the price tag. ;)

oldrps

This sounds like they are trying to prevent a lawsuit or one has already been been filed where a courier is saying they have to use their personal cell phone to get the job done, but they are not being reimbursed.

SmithBarney

Unless FDX pays your cell phone bill(I.E. Ops managers are issued phones) your phone is personal and for emergencies only, including you Mrs OpsManager... I knew a few Senior employees who "claimed" to not have a phone, just so the manager would leave them alone.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Most managers don't have the smarts to send a message thru a powerpad. Besides it takes away too much time from internet surfing.

Yozh69

Could be because DOT regs regarding use of cell phones in CMV could result in heavy fines for the company and the driver.

Of course then the debate could be over whether or not these regs cover vehicles under 10,000 GVW.

What happens if a driver is caught using a hand-held phone or texting while driving?

The rule imposes sanctions for driver offenses, including civil penalties up to $2,750 and driver disqualification for multiple offenses. Motor carriers are also prohibited from requiring or allowing their drivers to text or use a hand-held mobile phone while driving and may be subject to civil penalties up to $11,000. Violations will impact SMS results. Texting and calling on a hand-held phone carry the maximum violation severity weighting in SMS!

- See more at: http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/driver-safety/distracted-driving#sthash.S2d4sK70.dpuf

R

RuralRoute

LOL... Ok a quick update on this matter...

Today while on-road, my manager called 4 times, left a voicemail on one of the calls, and then sent two text messages (that I did not read, by the way.) I get back to the station tonight and he walks up to me and says "You forget how to use a phone?" I say "Nope, just abiding by the policy stated on THAT poster *pointing to the poster on the wall*
I love when the double standards of this company fall in our favor. Yall have a great night and as always, WAD.

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
Actually it is enabled in some areas ms. know it all.

dang it! i knew the scanners have the capability... i saw that in my local area our powerpads are running with the Verizon network (it was previously with ATT)

i already know how to access the gps maps portion of the powerpad but won't show the "zeroes"

What happens if a driver is caught using a hand-held phone or texting while driving?

it's understood that we use the phone/powerpad texting "in between stops" not while driving... that's just ludicrous to be doing that

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Could be because DOT regs regarding use of cell phones in CMV could result in heavy fines for the company and the driver.

Of course then the debate could be over whether or not these regs cover vehicles under 10,000 GVW.

The rule imposes sanctions for driver offenses, including civil penalties up to $2,750 and driver disqualification for multiple offenses. Motor carriers are also prohibited from requiring or allowing their drivers to text or use a hand-held mobile phone while driving and may be subject to civil penalties up to $11,000. Violations will impact SMS results. Texting and calling on a hand-held phone carry the maximum violation severity weighting in SMS!

- See more at: http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/driver-safety/distracted-driving#sthash.S2d4sK70.dpuf

Pull over, make phone call/text, pull back in to traffic.

whenIgetthere

Was a check ride way back when I first got a cellphone, back into a dock, phone rings, I answer it. Manager says no phones while in the drivers seat. So I said "Fine, put the friend'n cigarette out!" Mind you, I had already taken the key out of the ignition. The phone stays in my bag in the back of the truck now.