Using seniority to keep from going to other area???

Say you're a sorter, and your supervisor tells you to go to ireggs. Could you tell him to send someone of lower seniority instead of yourself? I tried this today, and they told me sending people to irregs has nothing to do with seniority and they just sent me there cause I've been there before, even though there was another person on my sort with lower seniority who has been to irregs before. Any other situation, like sending people home or sending them to sort/unload another trailer, they use seniority to determine who goes and does that. Is there a possible grievance I could file? I'm part of the southern region by the way. Thank you.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I don't know the answer but if you look to the bottom right of the scrolling page, you will see a section titled Similar Titles.
You might look there.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Say you're a sorter, and your supervisor tells you to go to ireggs. Could you tell him to send someone of lower seniority instead of yourself? I tried this today, and they told me sending people to irregs has nothing to do with seniority and they just sent me there cause I've been there before, even though there was another person on my sort with lower seniority who has been to irregs before. Any other situation, like sending people home or sending them to sort/unload another trailer, they use seniority to determine who goes and does that. Is there a possible grievance I could file? I'm part of the southern region by the way. Thank you.
First, great job listing your region.
We need that to have a chance to answer your question.

Secondly, does your Local have it's own seniority application?
Sounds like the standard practice for parallel issues supports your position.

Lastly, did you ask your BA and steward, or are you shopping for answers?
While it can be amusing asking these types of questions on this forum, you will likely get any answer that you are looking for, and be no further along than when you started.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less

Not familiar with the Southern but you MAY have language like us in the Atlantic. In my area PTers must be pulled from their area from the bottom up and must be qualified to perform the work.

Regardless you must work as directed and grieve later in order to avoid getting gigged on insubordination.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
First, great job listing your region.
We need that to have a chance to answer your question.

Secondly, does your Local have it's own seniority application?

And more importantly, is the Local Seniority application in writing ?

Or, is it a mutually accepted practice ?

Sounds like the standard practice for parallel issues supports your position.

Damn Bubble.... You go boy. :biggrin:

In my area PTers must be pulled from their area from the bottom up and must be qualified to perform the work.

As always;

"With all things being equal, seniority prevails".

Lastly, did you ask your BA and steward, or are you shopping for answers?

Regardless you must work as directed and grieve later in order to avoid getting gigged on insubordination.

These 2 posts, can surmise most situations.

-Bug-

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
While I would NEVER advocate a member sabotage an area AND/OR intentionally slowdown their pace of work, being forced to work in an "unfamiliar" work area can affect your regular pace and how effective you can be at your job.

This can lead to other areas no longer "requesting" your help.

Thank you all for your help. I've heard similar things from my co workers "just work like crap and they won't send you again!". The full time supervisor also told me that seniority only matters when guaranteeing your 3 1/2 hours, which is obviously false. So I have a feeling they're trying to intimidate me and assume I'll just do what they say and not go to the union.

I actually just now found this situation in the contract, and I will be filing a grievance.
Here is what it says.
ARTICLE 49 PT EMPLOYEES.
SECTION 1
(friend). "Seniority shall prevail for extra work and the work shall be assigned by seniority within the classification and work area to those who are qualified, present, and available"

browntroll

i would get with your BA, i have a similar situation going on and i had one steward tell me i cant do anything while another one
tell me i can file since i have seniority, i asked the sup if i can bump someone with lower seniority so i wont be moved and his reponse
"i dont like the way that guy works". now opposite happened a few months ago where i actually wanted to get to the area for extra
time but they said i already had my 3 1/2 and its the sups decision on who he wants.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
If you are a sorter, doesn't that fall under "preferred jobs"? The move isn't lateral since irregulars (I'm guessing a "bulk area") is not a "skill pay" as UPS codes it. That alone should be reason to grieve, even though you aren't technically losing the dollar. Though the supplement language seems more precise than any thing the master agreement has.

So you guys think that article 49 section I posted applies to my situation? Only thing I could think of that they would counter it with would be saying going to irregs isn't extra work, even though it was at the end of the night