USPS loses $2 billion this spring...

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
AS we have discussed on this board many times over, the postal service is dead as a functioning business.

Despite cutbacks, layoffs and closures, they continue to lose revenue due to online banking and billing.

First class mail continues to bleed revenue and every other class mail has lost money for over 15 years.

The only savior for the postal service would be to privatize the delivery aspect to private companies, layoff all the workers, and place their pensions into the PBGC where they would get 25 cents on the dollar.

Wages are too high for the revenue levels. Benefits are too high for the revenue levels.

Costs will continue to skyrocket and killing saturday service wouldnt make a dent in the debt. This year in total, the USPS will lose close to 19 billion dollars and thats not a recipe for success.

Since there is no tax payer assistance for the postal service, no government bailout would be possible.

Throwing out all the postal carriers would kill the unemployment rate, but in the long run it would save the postal service allbeit reduced to transportation and sorting for final delivery by private companies.

TOS.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
The US National Government will continue to support the USPS in order for the Congress to continue to get franking privileges.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I have a village of 700 people with a PO 5 miles away from a village of 1400 with a PO. The one in the smaller village is basically social hour.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I can beat that. A village of 1200 next to a village of maybe 200. Like 1/4 mile maybe between post offices. Then 2-3 miles away from there a town of 8,000.

JL 0513

All the while the USPS functions with numerous advantages over UPS. Yet we make billions in profit, they lose billions.

#1, the post office gets to just drive up to 10's, if not 100's of millions of mailboxes along the edge of the road and deliver without leaving their vehicle. As UPS'ers, most of our day is spent walking off packages all the way to the door step.

#2, volume efficiency - they have revenue coming from just about every address, everyday. Our delivery points are all spread out.

#3, We have to drive all the way up to every stop, while our friends at the post office often have mailboxes clustered together in many areas allowing them to not even go to the home/condo/apt. One stop, dozens of deliveries.

These huge advantages, and they can't make a buck.

brown bomber

brown bomber
In my neighborhood, which is a walking route....the carrier drives the entire street to deliver parcels (anything other than 1st class and junk mail), then returns to the end of the street to walk off the remainder of the mail.....sounds like a successful business plan to me

TheKid99

USPS is only losing money due to the outrageous prefunding retiree benefits I think for 80 years
This would put any buisness out of buisness

Last edited:

aiian

^ Truth. Something like 5 billion a year.

Add that to the fact they're only supposed to 'break even' under federal law.... no thanks.

The US National Government will continue to support the USPS in order for the Congress to continue to get franking privileges.

The PO hasn't taken federal money since the 8O's. In fact, congress has forced them to set aside an additional $5B for retiree benefits.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

If the Post Office were allowed to operate like any other corporation, with the ability to consolidate operations, close less than profitable branches and increase revenue, they would be just fiine.

Our local carriers are already putting in 60 hour weeks and have had enough.

I agree with TOS in that the PO needs to be privatized.

Photog, I wonder how many here know what franking rights are?

If the Post Office were allowed to operate like any other corporation, with the ability to consolidate operations, close less than profitable branches and increase revenue, they would be just fiine.

Our local carriers are already putting in 60 hour weeks and have had enough.

I agree with TOS in that the PO needs to be privatized.

Photog, I wonder how many here know what franking rights are?
Anyone can Google!