USPS set to close 2,000 branches.

klein

Für Meno :)
They should down all post office branches that don't have a sorting facilty within.
Then outsource those services to 7/11 and drug stores (i.E Walgreens), here it's Rexall (give those retailers a 20% cut of all sales and services).
Building costs are not cheap these days (electricity, heating/cooling, cleaning, maintanence), plus outside upkeeping, such as landscaping, paving, etc.

Give up Saturday delivery.

Install more "Supermail" boxes. Those are community mail boxes (instead of door to door delivery). You set one up in the middle of each block.
Worse case scenerio - the homeowner needs to walk 5 houses down to pick-up mail. Big deal. Or can drive up to it, before driving into the home parking lot, after work, or shopping trip.
Registered mail still gets home delivery (signature required).

And subcontract out rural delivery areas.

All the above was done here up north, and that is probably the reason they are still profitable.

Please don't even go there, and think we pay more bills by mail. That's not the case.
In matter of fact we have more internet users per capita then down south as chart below indicates:

101419.gif

clueless

...The agency, which has been battling falling mail volumes and competition from FedEx (NYSE:FDX ) and United Parcel Service (NYSE:UPS ), said it expects to hit its borrowing limit by the September 30 end of the fiscal year, and will have to default on payments to the federal government unless Congress intervenes.

"The Postal Service continues to seek changes in the law to enable a more flexible and sustainable business model," said Chief Executive Patrick Donahoe in a statement....

bigblu 2 you

some of the rural p o's in my are a are 4 and five miles apart.used to be coal camps during the boom years.now some of those that once had 4 or 500 boxes run 20 -30 boxes. in the last 15 years ive lost 10 post offices and that many elementary schools along with the consolidation of three high schools due to the economy and loss of population.one of my peeves is driving 25 miles of back country roads and cross 2 mountains{6-7 mile trip}to take one basic to a small p.o.,then drive 10 miles to take a residential package to the same customer that received the basic package.brilliant!!

whenIgetthere

I sent a package the other day USPS, I was fifth in line at the window. It took 20 minutes for the three USPS employees to process the 4 packages total between those in front of me in line. Maybe this has something to do with all the losses!!! "Can I interest you in purchasing stamps" and a few other things they have to say to each customer!! How 'bout STFU and process the packages. Geez!!!

menotyou

bella amicizia
I have rural delivery and the postal lady will have to get a bigger car with all the stuff UPS is shoveling on to them. Smartpost, my ass.

Mike0203

I dont know if this is relevant but I hate those damn franchises that are run by indians around my part of the town. They set their rates sky high and unfortunatly I had to ship with USPS or FEDUP.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Everyone always screams about the profits made by the oil companies. Since they know how to make profits, maybe they should be put in charge of the USPS. The gov't sure sucks at running it.

klein

Für Meno :)
This day in history (a segment on my local news) :

This day in history (June 13th, 1920) the USPS ruled that children aren't accepted as parcel post.

(Is that by any chance when UPS got started ) LMAO !

oh yeah, Sammy Davis Jr releases the song "Candy Man" on this day, in 1972.

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
Not sure why everyone thinks the Post Office is a government agency. It's been an independent agency since the 80's. They haven't used tax payers dollars since then, although they are borrowing from the treasury currently because they still run the place like it's receiving government funds. It's considered a government run corporation right now, although they fall outside of the presidents jurisdiction. The only reason they still exist is because the delivery of mail is constitutionally mandated. The amount of work involved in turning the PO around is monumental and will take decades for the place to become profitable. IMHO anyway...

Guru

I don't know what you guys are referring to when you say boxline, but I pic boxes out of conveyor belts.

Today I had to take care of 3 trucks all by myself and I couldn't keep up! The boxes were just coming and coming, and I tried to sort them out as quick as possible, but I just couldn't do it so I just began to stack. Good thing my supervisor is not a harsh guy, but I just felt bad for myself because I couldn't do it. I took some key points from you guys such as continuing to sort as fast a possible and not to stack, so I'll try them out tomorrow and see how it goes. Thanks guys for the tips, keep them coming if you got some more!

TUT

Face it to make the USPS profitable it simply would mean the slashing of 1000's of middle class jobs and those that stay slashing of their wages and benefits. All terrible things to the economy in general. The oil company takes it over the jobs would be minimum wage at 3 x the package cost. I'm more for the little guy then bottom line sometimes.

brown_trousers

Not sure why everyone thinks the Post Office is a government agency. It's been an independent agency since the 80's. They haven't used tax payers dollars since then, although they are borrowing from the treasury currently because they still run the place like it's receiving government funds. It's considered a government run corporation right now, although they fall outside of the presidents jurisdiction. The only reason they still exist is because the delivery of mail is constitutionally mandated.

The U.S. treasury is tax-payer money. What happens when the USPS defaults on these loans from the treasury? It then becomes our burden as tax paying citizens. there's a very predictable pattern to the revenue figures posted for the USPS... it's coming to an end!

and besides, just look through your mail... What has the mail man delivered to you lately that couldn't be delivered online

moreluck

golden ticket member
The USPS is mandated to "break even". How would your business thrive if breaking even was the accepted performance?

moreluck

golden ticket member
Walked into the post office this morning.......looking for the $14.95 large shipping box. All 3 displays in the foyer were empty of the med-large boxes. You'd think when the emplyees open up or the manager would check that the supplies are sufficient for the customers. People look at you when you ask for the boxes like "it's not in my job description".

And don't tell me to use UPS......when UPS can ship 8-10 pounds to Hawaii for $14.95 instead of over $40, then I'll change.

browndevil

Walked into the post office this morning.......looking for the $14.95 large shipping box. All 3 displays in the foyer were empty of the med-large boxes. You'd think when the emplyees open up or the manager would check that the supplies are sufficient for the customers. People look at you when you ask for the boxes like "it's not in my job description".

And don't tell me to use UPS......when UPS can ship 8-10 pounds to Hawaii for $14.95 instead of over $40, then I'll change.
Isn't that how we pay for our top wages and Heatlth and Welfare? Your husband's and mine :)and we are still making a profit.
BTW, undercharging you is why the USPS is in the poop hole

moreluck

golden ticket member
Isn't that how we pay for our top wages and Heatlth and Welfare? Your husband's and mine :)and we are still making a profit.
BTW, undercharging you is why the USPS is in the poop hole
We pay for our own healthcare.....$1577.oo a month.
If USPS goes out of business so be it, but until then I can take the extra $30 it would cost me to ship (ups or FDX) to Hawaii and put it in the kid's b-day card! Unlike the Obama administration, we watch the pennies and nickels.