USPS takes Dell Account

O

ok2bclever

racerx, I track basic packages all the time in my center using FVT and they have a full 1Z tracking number.

Are you saying these are not trackable on the public tracking system?

In my center they get treated just like a ground package often with three attempts, post carding, etc.

D

ddomino

OK

I think he is talking about basic that goes to the post office and they deliver to the house. Those packages are trackable only till del at PO. After that they are considered delivered.

Also, don't the basic say to dr even at a business? Don't you have to enter a reason why you are not leaving when you put in ni1?

O

ok2bclever

I questioned my center manager on this long ago when they first started showing up.

We were getting basic NI3s from apartments and I said I thought they were supposed to release these at the door with one attempt and my center manager said not if the driver considers it unsafe.
confused.gif

So they get treated just like regular ground here in many situations.

O

over9five

"So they get treated just like regular ground here in many situations."

You were right. The customer is telling us to leave them w/o signature. To bring them back NI anything is a slap to our customers face.

R

racerx

UPS Basic is a competitive response to the USPS media service. It is treated the same as a ground package in transit (it has a 1z label that can be tracked through the system), but we removed all the bells and whistles of our ground service to lower the price. There are very specific requirements a customer must meet to get this service, they cant insure the items like they can on ground, and even through WE can track the package through the system, the only info that can be pasted on to a customer is that the package is in transit and we either delivered it or gave it to the post office.

Many companies out there ship small, inexpensive items in large quantities. They are cheap to produce and day-definite delivery is not important. Ill give you an example from my AE days. I made a cold call on a small company that shipped out diet pills, the ones that are sold on those cheap TV commercials. They shipped out over 1,000 of these shipments a day. 99.9% of the shipments went with the USPS because at under 3 pounds, the post office has a flat rate anywhere in the county. As you know, we charge by zone the farther the shipment has to travel, the more you have to pay. The only time they used us is when a customer had ordered pills and claimed that they never got them. Only then would they us UPS so that they could have a tracking number and make sure that the package got delivered. I tried to convince them that they needed guaranteed delivery they didnt. I tried to convince them that if they shipped everything with UPS that they would have proof of delivery so that they would not have to pay for another bottle of pills because their customers couldnt say I didnt get the shipment They said that the cost difference between UPS and the post office averaged $2 dollars and a bottle of the pills only cost them $1 to manufacture. I tried to point out that every package was insured they pointed out it would be a waste of money to attempt to recover $1 dollar for every package lost or damaged. Our ground product was not a good fit, but if we had had basic back then, I could have won this business away from the USPS.