USPS To Close 250 US Sort Centers. Fred Gets Wood

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I just heard this on the radio, and the net result will be the end of overnight service for stamped mail within the service area of the 250 USPS sort centers. I can just sense the excitement up on Mt. Crumpet as Fred decides how he will screw the Whos' when he gets his share of this market segment. Unlike the Grinch, every Christmas Fred's heart shrinks 4 sizes.

bbsam

Staff member
If Fred gets his hands on this, a letter or pkg will cost 2-3 times what it does in comparison to the USPS.
And it should. No reason for the government to continue to subsidize (at least to the extent it does) what private industry can do for profit, especially with E-mail, etc.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
And it should. No reason for the government to continue to subsidize (at least to the extent it does) what private industry can do for profit, especially with E-mail, etc.

A subsidized mail service is what makes mail affordable. Fred will ensure that it's profitable, and that wasn't the original intent of the USPS.

bbsam

Staff member
Please, oh please don't get caught up in "original intent". How can we be constrained by the "original intent" of 240 years ago? In fact, I'm of the belief that "original intent" is a meaningless argument. Besides, think how much "junk mail" you get. Maybe people would think twice before clearing anothe rain-forest to send that crap.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Please, oh please don't get caught up in "original intent". How can we be constrained by the "original intent" of 240 years ago? In fact, I'm of the belief that "original intent" is a meaningless argument. Besides, think how much "junk mail" you get. Maybe people would think twice before clearing anothe rain-forest to send that crap.

Do you want to pay $1.25 to mail a letter? No, but you'd happily deliver it for that. End of story. $$$$$

bbsam

Staff member
Do you know how many letters I send? I doubt I spend $100 a year on stamps. But yeah, I'd take the added revenue. I don't mind taking business from UPS, wouldn't mind taking it from USPS.

vantexan

I'm curious, what rainforest is being cut down to send junk mail in the U.S.? And do you really think a privatized mail service would give up the fliers?

bbsam

Staff member
Rain forest is an exaggeration to make the point that much is junk mail that has a landfill as final delivery point. And yes, I think fliers would be reduced by at least 20%:

SmithBarney

I'm curious, what rainforest is being cut down to send junk mail in the U.S.? And do you really think a privatized mail service would give up the fliers?

Not sure about you but 95% of my mail box contains unsolicited junk. Weekly I get "blank" checks from Bank of America(which I've repeatedly requested to stop), I get catalogs from who knows where. So I'm not sure where you think all this paper comes from, but I can tell you for certain where it goes(right into the recycling bin)

Vantexan: did you know that when Columbus landed on our little continent you used to be able to walk(if you chose) from coast to coast under the canopy of Forest? Do a little research about the rainforests, you might get a rude awakening...

I don't want to get on an environmental soapbox, but there is a lot we all should do to help. All FedEx stations for that matter should have recycling since 90% of our trash is paper, yet at the 3 stations I've worked only one had recycling but it was only cardboard, the rest of the paper went to the landfill.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

UPS likes to promote itself as a "green" company but the amount of recyclables that we throw away is appalling.

Eliminating the bulk mail rate would greatly reduce the amount of junk mail that is sent only to either be recycled or thrown away.

vantexan

Vantexan: did you know that when Columbus landed on our little continent you used to be able to walk(if you chose) from coast to coast under the canopy of Forest? Do a little research about the rainforests, you might get a rude awakening...

Well, no you couldn't. First off the continental U.S. is in the temperate zone with the exception of part of Florida and south Texas being sub-tropical. The only rainforest is a temperate one, not a tropical one, found in the Olympic National Park. So no rainforest is being harvested for your junk.

Plus the Great Plains, the Rockies, and the southwest deserts existed at the time of Columbus so no, you couldn't walk from coast to coast under a canopy of forest. Furthermore most of what is logged is replanted. The logging companies have a vested interested in renewing their source of revenue. The single biggest problem the environment faces is the hysteria of liberal environmentalists who completely distort reality in their quest to control everything.

BrownBlue

New Jack
If it USPS volume goes to Ground or HD, it will still be subsidized by the government. Most drivers qualify for some form of low-income assistance, food, housing and health mainly.

bbsam

Staff member
If it USPS volume goes to Ground or HD, it will still be subsidized by the government. Most drivers qualify for some form of low-income assistance, food, housing and health mainly.

When you say "most drivers", on what do you base that claim? I know people around here throw assertions around, but is there any statistical data to back it up?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
When you say "most drivers", on what do you base that claim? I know people around here throw assertions around, but is there any statistical data to back it up?

Maybe not your drivers, but you must acknowledge the problem is out there. I doubt that there are any hard statistics because the Ground setup lets the contractor pay whatever they can get away with.

FedExer267

No statistical evidence and I am not sure how it is in other buildings but I can tell you that the majority of drivers in my terminal have either 2 jobs or they are on Government assistance. This time of year when we have to work longer hours with no extra pay, it is the breaking point for many drivers. You get what you pay for.. If you want UPS quality then when you slam us with HD stops give us more money. I mean if you are gonna make more money doesn't it make sense to keep your drivers happy and kick down extra instead of expecting extra from the drivers.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Do you know how many letters I send? I doubt I spend $100 a year on stamps. But yeah, I'd take the added revenue. I don't mind taking business from UPS, wouldn't mind taking it from USPS.

As long as you don't do any of the "hump work" why would you?