Utah Republican Legislator Proposes Sin Tax on Caffeine

wkmac

Let's tax caffeine, legislator argues

Most of Utah's population and more than 80 percent of the Utah Legislature belong to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, which discourages its members from drinking "hot drinks." Some Mormons have interpreted that to extend beyond coffee and tea to caffeinated beverages.

I got no beef with Mormons, no more that with Catholics, Baptists, Jews, Muslims or even Satanist for that matter but where I fight back is when any group using religious dogma or doctrine try to codify their beliefs into law governing the public space. If soft drinks disappeared tomorrow, I'd shed no tear but mess with my sweet ice tea, we got us a war!

:happy-very:

over9five

Staff member
Here in Mass, the Democratic governor wants to tax candy, soft drinks, and more tax on cigarettes.
This is on top of a 19 cent tax he wants to add to each gallon of gasoline.

Taxachusetts.....

Channahon

Here in the State of lllinois, where corrupt and inept politicians are a legacy, the new governor proposed raising the state income tax 50% from 3% to 4.5%.

How's that for a kick in the pants? In today's economy, no less, just goes to show you, they have no regard for the citizens of the state.

They screw up the budget, mismanage projects, and hire their relatives.You don't hear about any layoffs or concesssions for goverment workers, just the hard working private industry.

They just keep raising taxes, businesses suffer, the revenues aren't as expected, so they have to find something else to tax. And plan on a 16 to 23 cent gasoline tax hike as well.

I sent the governor an email, and wrote letters to all congressmen and state representatives, asking them not to support this increase. And then I sent everyone I know in the State of Illinois, a link to a website, so they can look up their own legislators, so they can do the same if they want.

And they are all Democrats to boot.

wkmac

Here in the State of lllinois, where corrupt and inept politicians are a legacy, the new governor proposed raising the state income tax 50% from 3% to 4.5%.

How's that for a kick in the pants? In today's economy, no less, just goes to show you, they have no regard for the citizens of the state.

They screw up the budget, mismanage projects, and hire their relatives.You don't hear about any layoffs or concesssions for goverment workers, just the hard working private industry.

They just keep raising taxes, businesses suffer, the revenues aren't as expected, so they have to find something else to tax. And plan on a 16 to 23 cent gasoline tax hike as well.

I sent the governor an email, and wrote letters to all congressmen and state representatives, asking them not to support this increase. And then I sent everyone I know in the State of Illinois, a link to a website, so they can look up their own legislators, so they can do the same if they want.

And they are all Democrats to boot.

Why don't you convince your State to create their own currency and then instead of direct taxation, your State gov't can do like the federal gov't and use inflation to balance the need for tax revenues? I mean, if everything inflates by double digits, then so does gov't revenue and the budget shortfalls are a thing of the past albeit to the burden of the poor, fixed income, seniors but who gives a frick about them anyway!
:wink2:

Are you starting to figure out what Washington DC is doing yet?
:surprised::peaceful: