Vacation Denied

fordno16

Hello all,

I'm a part-timer covered under the Central States contract. I had a vacation week denied in which I was told there were too many people in our hub with that week off. I work in metro unload in which we have a total of 9 employees in our area. Only one of them has the same week off that I requested (and was denied).

Am I correct to say that, according to our contract and the 17% rule, work areas with 9-14 employees shall allow 2 employees to have the same week off. Also, am I correct to say that there excuse of "there were too many people in our hub with that week off" doesn't affect me?

If I am correct, please advise on how I should approach this. Thanks in advance for your help.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Hello all,

I'm a part-timer covered under the Central States contract. I had a vacation week denied in which I was told there were too many people in our hub with that week off. I work in metro unload in which we have a total of 9 employees in our area. Only one of them has the same week off that I requested (and was denied).

Am I correct to say that, according to our contract and the 17% rule, work areas with 9-14 employees shall allow 2 employees to have the same week off. Also, am I correct to say that there excuse of "there were too many people in our hub with that week off" doesn't affect me?

If I am correct, please advise on how I should approach this. Thanks in advance for your help.
Your "area" would be your shift. Too many people on your shift have off that week.

fordno16

Thanks for the reply...and the bad news, haha.

Our shop stewards must not be too bright then as they were the ones who informed me that my only concern should be others in my work area (metro unload).

Brownslave688

Thanks for the reply...and the bad news, haha.

Our shop stewards must not be too bright then as they were the ones who informed me that my only concern should be others in my work area (metro unload).
I don't think so. Not unless it's a bid position. Because they can move about anyone on the shift around to cover for others if needed.

Brownslave688

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but what do you mean by a bid position?

And thanks for your help.
You would know if it was. Obviously it's not.

If your steward says you've been wronged. Give it shot and file on it. Worst that happens is they say no.

How many years do u have in?

fordno16

Close to 6 years...have never run into this problem before (having a vacation denied) so I've never put too much thought into this until now. Not the biggest of deals, just want to make sure they (mgmt) are playing by the rules.

I still might have a shot (i think, yes?) of getting it off because I looked again at the contract and my shift is over 85 people and according to the contract with centers of 80-85 people, 14 vacations can be granted for centers that large. The number management told me that were already off the week i wanted was 11...so, i suspect they should allow 3 more.

upschuck

They are just telling you now? They should of told you after you turned in this years vacs, that that week was closed, and to repick the denied week.

Might of had different numbers when vac were assigned.

fordno16

Yes, yesterday. I turned in my vacation requests the 2nd week of March. Our full-time sup who runs the unload/metro unload would've approved/denied my vacation had a medical problem occur shortly after I turned in my vacation requests. He spent weeks in the hospital and now found out he won't be returning because of it. His boss is the one now making the approvals/denials for vacations.

Do I still have any recourse if they told me 11 people were off that week, but according to the contract 14 vacations are allowed for shifts my size (80-85)?

Last edited:

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
Sometimes the numbers work against you. I was in feeders for 29 years. When I changed over from package cars, my center seniority started over. Our department allowed 12 people off during any one week (non peak) Just about everyone in feeders had school age kids. Everyone wanted off the weeks that are used for spring break by schools. I was with the company over 25 years, the last 15 in feeders, and I was never able to get spring break off to be with my kids when they were out. Approximately the last 6-8 years I was with the company, I was in the top 25 or so in seniority in feeders by then due to attrition, retirement, etc. I was finally able to pick those weeks if I wanted. Guess what? Both my kids were grown and out of the house. That's just the way seniority works.:sad:

upschuck

I would go in with a steward with contract book and have him explain why he is not allowing you. If your numbers are correct, you should be off.

fordno16

That's what I plan to do as the central contract states for centers with 80-85 people, 14 vacations per week shall be allowed. They told me 11 people were off. Our center, twilight shift, has well over 85 people. I think load walls alone top the 80-85 threshold.

fordno16

Yes, hub. Now i'm really confused. What departments or operations are included in "center work"?

Just when I think I had 'em....u chime in again, haha

fordno16

What week did I pick? Or when did I hand in my vacation requests?

I was given my vacation request sheet March 6th and handed it in March 9th.
The week in question is the week preceding July 4th.

upschuck

Basically, center is anything that has to do with loading unloading of the PC. Hub, anything that contributes pkg going to center operations.

fordno16

If center does include load and unload....load walls alone put our center past 80-85 employees. Plus 9 in my area (metro unload) and i'd say 12-15 unloading trailers.

fordno16

But, upon reading your post again, you said load/unload PC, which I assume PC means package car. In that case, there are 0 loaders on my shift and 9 unloaders....and according to mgmt, there are 11 of us off.