Vacation--how much notice need be given?

Rawrzxor

So, I just passed my year date last week, and my FT said that I needed to give 4 weeks notice for my vacation. My PT sup said I needed to give 2 weeks notice, before that. Naturally, I've been shafted by FT's a few times before this (which also included my second week where I worked 8-9 hour shifts, and only got paid for 4 hours per day. My FT promised to sort that out, but nothing ever happened), so I just want to make sure I can't get it at the time I want. I want to take my vacation to coincide with spring break, that way I won't have school *or* work for a week. Something tells me that my FT is just trying to move my vacation to a time that suits him more than me. Also naturally, I don't trust him as far as I can throw him. Though, I trust my PT a bit more than that.

And, it only makes sense to me that if someone is going to quit, they only have to give 2 weeks notice, but vacation is 4? Shady, imo. And, I can't seem to find anything on PT vacation in the Union Agreement, or contract?, booklet.

I didn't realize I had vacation until last week, so I didn't have time--no one asked me about when I wanted it, either--to ask.

He also said that the earliest I could take my vacation was March 23rd, which happens to be 5 weeks out, not 4.

So, anyone know?

Rawrzxor

We picked our 2015 vacations last December.

Not I. No one told me about that. But, I hadn't been there a year, yet, anyway. And, according to the union handbook, one can ask for vacation at any time after December, if they missed their seniority week to jot down their vacation time.

Rawrzxor

He also said that I could choose to take my vacation next week, but they'd take out like 33% of my pay from it...

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
We always pick in nov/dec for the upcoming year. You just wouldn't be able to take any weeks until your year seniority date.

Also if you live in a college town it would be highly unlikely for you to get spring break off. Everyone else wants it off too.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I'm a part time loader, btw.
Picking specific weeks off is done in seniority order...and we picked last November for 2015 vacation weeks. They should have had you pick your week when the rest of your preload did vacation picks. I've never heard of 2 or 4 weeks vacation notice....ask your steward.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Look at the vacation list. What is open? How many week you have to pick? You have between now and next February to use them.

Also, pick your optional week.

Overpaid Union Thug

So, I just passed my year date last week, and my FT said that I needed to give 4 weeks notice for my vacation. My PT sup said I needed to give 2 weeks notice, before that. Naturally, I've been shafted by FT's a few times before this (which also included my second week where I worked 8-9 hour shifts, and only got paid for 4 hours per day. My FT promised to sort that out, but nothing ever happened), so I just want to make sure I can't get it at the time I want. I want to take my vacation to coincide with spring break, that way I won't have school *or* work for a week. Something tells me that my FT is just trying to move my vacation to a time that suits him more than me. Also naturally, I don't trust him as far as I can throw him. Though, I trust my PT a bit more than that.

And, it only makes sense to me that if someone is going to quit, they only have to give 2 weeks notice, but vacation is 4? Shady, imo. And, I can't seem to find anything on PT vacation in the Union Agreement, or contract?, booklet.

I didn't realize I had vacation until last week, so I didn't have time--no one asked me about when I wanted it, either--to ask.

He also said that the earliest I could take my vacation was March 23rd, which happens to be 5 weeks out, not 4.

So, anyone know?

Your seniority date may have been last week but your vacation selection seniority should have been "annualized" allowing you to pick your vacations in October with everyone else. Or whenever your supplement says. "Annualized" means that the company recognizes that you will have enough reports once you've finished the year and they allow you to pick vacations for the next year.

Kae3106

He also said that I could choose to take my vacation next week, but they'd take out like 33% of my pay from it...

I can't speak to the operational scheduling needs but I think I understand why he said this from a Payroll perspective.

The systematic vacation calendar that feeds to Payroll does close out a few weeks prior to the vacation week. He may be telling you he needs four weeks notice because he can't enter it into the system if it is too close to the desired week. However, an adjustment request can be sent to Payroll. If it is requesting a week of vacation cashed out or paid off, that is taxed at a 25% flat federal rate. It CAN be entered as a regular week of vacation pay that just didn't make it into the calendar on time and it will be taxed at your regular rate. It all depends on how the sup words it when the week is requested: payoff = high tax, regular vacation week = regular tax.

Rawrzxor

We always pick in nov/dec for the upcoming year. You just wouldn't be able to take any weeks until your year seniority date.

Also if you live in a college town it would be highly unlikely for you to get spring break off. Everyone else wants it off too.

My year seniority date was Jan 27th. I did think about that, that maybe spring break would be already taken, but he didn't say it was taken, he said that I needed to give 4 weeks notice.

Your seniority date may have been last week but your vacation selection seniority should have been "annualized" allowing you to pick your vacations in October with everyone else. Or whenever your supplement says. "Annualized" means that the company recognizes that you will have enough reports once you've finished the year and they allow you to pick vacations for the next year.

I read something like that in the little green booklet, supplemental agreement. What are 'reports'?

Look at the vacation list. What is open? How many week you have to pick? You have between now and next February to use them.

Also, pick your optional week.

I don't think I have an optional week. I'm a PT loader, so I think I only get 20 hours vacation and no option days. At least, it didn't show any hours for optional days or the other type: only 20hrs vacation.

Rawrzxor

I can't speak to the operational scheduling needs but I think I understand why he said this from a Payroll perspective.

The systematic vacation calendar that feeds to Payroll does close out a few weeks prior to the vacation week. He may be telling you he needs four weeks notice because he can't enter it into the system if it is too close to the desired week. However, an adjustment request can be sent to Payroll. If it is requesting a week of vacation cashed out or paid off, that is taxed at a 25% flat federal rate. It CAN be entered as a regular week of vacation pay that just didn't make it into the calendar on time and it will be taxed at your regular rate. It all depends on how the sup words it when the week is requested: payoff = high tax, regular vacation week = regular tax.

I'm not sure if I understood, but if I did: I'm not opting to get paid for my vacation; I want to take it.

Read your supplement and don't ask a sup about your rights. ..ask your steward.

I tried reading the supplement agreement, the little green book, but it didn't say anything about these things. :\ It didn't say I had to give notice, either. But, it did say that if someone missed giving what time they wanted their vacation in December--top 1/3rd seniority employees choose first week, then 2/3 the third week, then bottom 3/3rd the last week--then they could add their vacation after that period. But talking to the steward would probably be better. He's just never around. -__-;;

margaritaville

Sorry to jump in. But ive been at UPS for 10 years but switched to fulltime driver last summer. Do i get to take any vacation this year or do i have to wait until next year? I should get atleast 3 weeks vacation id assume because 10yr/2 = 5 years. I don't even care about getting paid i just want to get time off to go somewhere.

Im getting laid off all the time lately. But its like im on call so cant go anywhere far. Id like to just take vacation now. Since they dont need me anyways and can go get a tan.

F

FrigidAdCorrector

Just going to give you the bad news now by saying, there is no chance you get spring break. Especially if you're in a college town. When we did the vacations on my sort it was the first one to go.

I don't know about the 4 week thing. But I would talk to your steward if they keep pushing you off. They should have just given you a sheet with the weeks that are already taken scratched off.

Rawrzxor

Just going to give you the bad news now by saying, there is no chance you get spring break. Especially if you're in a college town. When we did the vacations on my sort it was the first one to go.

I don't know about the 4 week thing. But I would talk to your steward if they keep pushing you off. They should have just given you a sheet with the weeks that are already taken scratched off.

Well :censored2:. Fair enough.

I was expecting to see the sheet--and the union agreement book overtly states that they *must* have it hung up in the hub. If I read that correctly. Ehh. No matter. 4 weeks will go by fast enough.

Thanks.

arice11

My preload supervisor called me into his office and told me "You need to take some vacation days. Not that I don't want you here. You're here every day on time. Go take some time off."
HAHAHAHAHA!
I don't even want to. It would be more practical to cash in my vacation and have a spectacular weekend. Or...maybe, IDK.
The damn scene plays over in my head, why is my boss so eager to have me gone?
Who will lift the irregs that no one else can in the morning? hahaha

Shifting Contents

Most Help Needed
It warms my heart seeing all these part timers actively asking questions and learning their union rights.

Boggles my mind at the crazy crap they are asking but really warms my heart that they are at least asking!

Rawrzxor

It warms my heart seeing all these part timers actively asking questions and learning their union rights.

Boggles my mind at the crazy crap they are asking but really warms my heart that they are at least asking!

How's it crazy? >_> I just want to see the schedule, and my FT just told me about it, instead of showing me it. And ultimately, I just want to know how soon I can take my vacation, because I think I've more than earned it this past year. Would it be less crazy to just believe everything my FT sup says?